Front Dana Ultimate 44 on a 2013 Unlimited

JKsurfer

I just purchased a Dana Ultimate 44 front axle with 4.56 gears for my 2013 Wrangler unlimited. Since I have a sahara do I need the harness for the locker? The problem is I don't have rear lockers as it is a Sahara I'm just regearing the rear. Thanks

WJCO

Meme King
Sahara will not have a locker harness. You will have to buy/make that. I assume the UD44 has a Rubicon locker in it?

WJCO

Meme King
I don't know how that will work out, you may have to contact the axle manufacturer. I was under the impression that with that electric set up, you have to lock the rear first or it won't let the front locker lock. Maybe they've designed something to make that work though. :idontknow:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I don't know how that will work out, you may have to contact the axle manufacturer. I was under the impression that with that electric set up, you have to lock the rear first or it won't let the front locker lock. Maybe they've designed something to make that work though. :idontknow:
That's controlled by the ecu, wiring up the locker on its own harness with an accessory switch will allow it to turn on/off whenever activated/deactivated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKsurfer

So I called Dana spicer they said since I don't have lockers, don't connect it and it will work as an open diff without the harness connected. Hopefully that is correct lol

WJCO

Meme King
So I called Dana spicer they said since I don't have lockers, don't connect it and it will work as an open diff without the harness connected. Hopefully that is correct lol

But your new axle has a locker right? Sure you can leave it disconnected and the differential will work as an open diff just fine, but I assume you'll hook up the locker eventually correct?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Well yeah, so long as it's not engaged, your locker will be nothing more than a differential. But, it'd be silly not to hook it up. It's only a 2 wire setup and you can make your own switch.

JKsurfer

Once I upgrade the rear axle with lockers I'd connect it

Well yeah, so long as it's not engaged, your locker will be nothing more than a differential. But, it'd be silly not to hook it up. It's only a 2 wire setup and you can make your own switch.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Even if you don't have a rear locker, you should still hook up the locker on the new front axle. As Eddie as mentioned, it is a two wire design and you can make your own switch.

tgoss

That's full on retarded. Why buy an axle with a locker if you are being told by the manufacturer not to use it.

Just buy this harness and wire it up with a relay and a switch. You don't need anything else:

Mopar P5155359

I would seriously consider doing the rear too while you're at it. If you're opening the pumpkin to do gears what's another $800-1k for a proper set up back there/

WJCO

Meme King
I just can't see spending that much money on the UD, when you can get a ProRock axle for a little more. It the UD was a more comparable axle, that's a different story, but if you're already spending 2500-3000 for an upgrade, why not save a little more. I really did look into these, and just didn't see the UD44 being that much stronger than the 30 for what you pay for.

Keithyellowjk

I just put on the Ultimate Dana 44 and bought the harness. The darn harness didn't come with any instructions but it was a pretty easy set up once I figured out that they sent an extra wire that was throwing me off.[emoji12]. The harness comes with a switch.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom