Stock upgrade progression

biggdeal

I'm new to the forum and recently purchased a 2017 JKU Sahara (loving it!). I have many upgrades planned over time, but I'm curious as to what order you would recommend to do the "major" upgrades.

Let's make this a simple question. If you were purchasing one of these upgrades per month (in no particular initial order), what order would you purchase them in and at what points would you do installs? Keep in mind that everything is currently stock, Jeep has 3.73 gears and this is my DD. I do plan to do some wheeling, but nothing major any time in the near future.

3" lift + shocks (understood I need additional mods also done at this time)
35" tires
17" wheels
Front bumper w/ winch
Rear bumper w/ tire carrier for 35"
Regear + gussets/sleeves
Flat fenders

I'm itching to get to work on some of this, but I don't have the extra $$$ to do it all at once. Curious to hear what has or hasn't worked out for others during their stock upgrade. Thanks in advance!

Obligatory new Jeep photo...
20170106_095054.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G925V using WAYALIFE mobile app

bighorn

What I did were bumpers & winch first. Probably best to re-gear before running 35" tires. Then lift and tires.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
On of The first upgrades I would do is drive your Jeep and enjoy it! Then if you want to wheel it deff do some addition skid plates like the evo protek skid system. Once those are on go and wheel your Jeep and have fun with it!

So in my opinion you should do

Skids + C gussets(no sleeves)
Recovery gear (straps, winch, etc)
Front bumper for the winch
Wheels the Jeep and have fun with it stock
Lift, wheels, and tires
Cut your stock fenders for free (check out the cut fender thread)
Regear
Add rear bumper

Basscat

I'm new to the forum and recently purchased a 2017 JKU Sahara (loving it!). I have many upgrades planned over time, but I'm curious as to what order you would recommend to do the "major" upgrades.

Let's make this a simple question. If you were purchasing one of these upgrades per month (in no particular initial order), what order would you purchase them in and at what points would you do installs? Keep in mind that everything is currently stock, Jeep has 3.73 gears and this is my DD. I do plan to do some wheeling, but nothing major any time in the near future.

3) - 3" lift + shocks (understood I need additional mods also done at this time)
4) - 35" tires
5) - 17" wheels
1) - Front bumper w/ winch
6) - Rear bumper w/ tire carrier for 35"
2) - Regear + gussets/sleeves
7) - Flat fenders

I'm itching to get to work on some of this, but I don't have the extra $$$ to do it all at once. Curious to hear what has or hasn't worked out for others during their stock upgrade. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 247202

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
If I were you, I would go out on some easy trails with some friends first, get a feel for the jeep. If you have a good time and want to do more, first thing I would do is a Protek skid system or similar being that your jeep is automatic. then go get a bit more seat time with fellow jeep friends on a few "harder" trails, like level 3's, maybe a 4 if your feeling adventurous... once you decide you are loving life, you will know what YOUR jeep needs next to make the most of your build for your wheeling. :yup:

To answer your question though:

The first thing I got for my jeep was a winch & oil plan skid, because I was wheeling the HELL out of it stock. the winch didnt fit my factory HardRock Bumper, so I bought a new front bumper. then I did the lift, tires, and C-gussets at the same time; and trimmed my factory fenders. I ran into rear rocker rubbing issues, so pulled and sold the factory rocker guards and rear bumper. Replaced them with upgrades, and a rear carrier that could handle my heavy spare. after a few months of driving around on 37s and stock 4.10 gears and hating it, I regeard the jeep and swapped out front and rear driveshafts...

... that pretty much covers your list. but I did what I did because of how I use my jeep, I upgraded what was holding me back from doing what I wanted to do. :yup:

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thanks for the reply! I definitely plan to regear right before I move up to 35s.

I would do the tires before a regear or do it at the exact same time. If you regear before the tires your rpms will be thru the roof and fuel economy will suffer greatly especially on the highway.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

35" tires
17" wheels
Front bumper w/ winch
Regear + gussets/sleeves
Flat fenders

Where you live and what kind of wheeling do you do and how often? Do you go with a group or do you prefer to do solo runs? Is your Jeep a daily driver or just a weekend warrior? Seems to be like a few of these would need to be answered prior to being able to recommend anything.

biggdeal

On of The first upgrades I would do is drive your Jeep and enjoy it! Then if you want to wheel it deff do some addition skid plates like the evo protek skid system. Once those are on go and wheel your Jeep and have fun with it!

Lift, wheels, and tires
Regear
Add rear bumper
Thanks for your input! I have very much been enjoying driving the Jeep. It's the first time i've ever had a vehicle that I was actually excited to drive back and forth from work every day. It looks like most are on the same page: recovery and protection first...pretty things second. I did score a sweet deal on some MCE fenders that i couldn't pass up, but i'm not sure how good they would look before doing lift/wheels/tires.

RjSkippy

Lift, wheels, and tires
Regear
Add rear bumper

This is pretty much the plan I would follow if I were starting from scratch again! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug

Lift, wheels, and tires
Regear
Add rear bumper

^^^^^ this right there

biggdeal

Where you live and what kind of wheeling do you do and how often? Do you go with a group or do you prefer to do solo runs? Is your Jeep a daily driver or just a weekend warrior? Seems to be like a few of these would need to be answered prior to being able to recommend anything.
I live in Western WA. New to wheeling (as a driver) and haven't had it out on any trails yet, other than a couple family adventures in the snow. It is my daily driver mostly, but I have a group of friends that go wheeling a couple times a month or so. Being new to it, I don't imagine I would do much serious offroading solo until i'm more confident, but i do want to be comfortable going out solo with my wife once i've become more familiar with the trails in our area.

Randy Tadevich

35" tires
17" wheels
Front bumper w/ winch
Regear + gussets/sleeves
Flat fenders

View attachment 247202

Welcome to the jeeping world. Defiantly use it for whats its made for. A lot of good opinions thus far. My opinion is the wench/bumper first. If you get yourself into any trouble getting stuck being stock, you can get yourself out. Bigger tires, gears etc. wont get you unstuck.
Have fun, use it, and be safe my friend.
If I were you, I would go out on some easy trails with some friends first, get a feel for the jeep. If you have a good time and want to do more, first thing I would do is a Protek skid system or similar being that your jeep is automatic. then go get a bit more seat time with fellow jeep friends on a few "harder" trails, like level 3's, maybe a 4 if your feeling adventurous... once you decide you are loving life, you will know what YOUR jeep needs next to make the most of your build for your wheeling. :yup:

To answer your question though:

The first thing I got for my jeep was a winch & oil plan skid, because I was wheeling the HELL out of it stock. the winch didnt fit my factory HardRock Bumper, so I bought a new front bumper. then I did the lift, tires, and C-gussets at the same time; and trimmed my factory fenders. I ran into rear rocker rubbing issues, so pulled and sold the factory rocker guards and rear bumper. Replaced them with upgrades, and a rear carrier that could handle my heavy spare. after a few months of driving around on 37s and stock 4.10 gears and hating it, I regeard the jeep and swapped out front and rear driveshafts...

... that pretty much covers your list. but I did what I did because of how I use my jeep, I upgraded what was holding me back from doing what I wanted to do. :yup:

Thanks for the reply! I definitely plan to regear right before I move up to 35s.

Sent from my LGLS740 using WAYALIFE mobile app

biggdeal

Welcome to the jeeping world. Defiantly use it for whats its made for. A lot of good opinions thus far. My opinion is the wench/bumper first. If you get yourself into any trouble getting stuck being stock, you can get yourself out. Bigger tires, gears etc. wont get you unstuck.
Have fun, use it, and be safe my friend.
Thanks Randy! I'm looking forward to doing exactly that this summer, once the Western WA weather gloom subsides and everyone comes out of their hidey holes.

Breer

Caught the Bug
I have done tons of reading here and there is a ton of great info so I would say start there. If there is one thing I want to avoid it is buying something twice and there are tons of builds and threads to sift through.

Having said that, i'm in the same boat as you are. I bought my JKU almost a year ago. I swore I was going to keep it stock for 1 year and really decide on what I needed more than what I wanted for my needs. Needless to say I only made it 6 months before I realized I didn't like going out alone without a winch and recovery gear. So it sits with an aftermarket front bumper and a winch now and I keep winch accessories with me all the time. I have really enjoyed driving and wheeling it stock but ready to step it up to some bigger tires here soon and a small lift. It will include a budget boost and some 35" tires hopefully. Being on a budget myself it's difficult sometimes, I have my end goals but I want to have a capable jeep while I save for the big mods like a a Prorock 44 and a nice lift.

I'm glad I didn't miss out on the "I was really impressed by what it could do stock." I have seen tons of people say that and it was great to experience it.

I'd say start small, do your research, don't be in a hurry, and have fun with it.

biggdeal

I have done tons of reading here and there is a ton of great info so I would say start there. If there is one thing I want to avoid it is buying something twice and there are tons of builds and threads to sift through.

Having said that, i'm in the same boat as you are. I bought my JKU almost a year ago. I swore I was going to keep it stock for 1 year and really decide on what I needed more than what I wanted for my needs. Needless to say I only made it 6 months before I realized I didn't like going out alone without a winch and recovery gear. So it sits with an aftermarket front bumper and a winch now and I keep winch accessories with me all the time. I have really enjoyed driving and wheeling it stock but ready to step it up to some bigger tires here soon and a small lift. It will include a budget boost and some 35" tires hopefully. Being on a budget myself it's difficult sometimes, I have my end goals but I want to have a capable jeep while I save for the big mods like a a Prorock 44 and a nice lift.

I'm glad I didn't miss out on the "I was really impressed by what it could do stock." I have seen tons of people say that and it was great to experience it.

I'd say start small, do your research, don't be in a hurry, and have fun with it.
Thanks Breer...that's really good feedback. I have been reading a ton here and am already astounded at how much I have been able to learn from this forum. I also purchased with the idea of keeping it stock for the first year or so, but man...the itch is real!

I really appreciate your last point about finding out what it can do stock.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I live in Western WA. New to wheeling (as a driver) and haven't had it out on any trails yet, other than a couple family adventures in the snow. It is my daily driver mostly, but I have a group of friends that go wheeling a couple times a month or so. Being new to it, I don't imagine I would do much serious offroading solo until i'm more confident, but i do want to be comfortable going out solo with my wife once i've become more familiar with the trails in our area.

Okay, that being the case, I would start off with adding tow points front and rear if you don't already have them and install a set of rocker guards. There's a lot you can do bone stock and the more you do, the more you will learn what you actually "need". So long as you're wheeling with others, I personally would do wheels/tires and a lift before adding things like a front bumper and a winch. If anything, I would get a rear bumper tire carrier to get your new bigger spare off the tailgate and on to the frame where it should be. Your factory skids are all that you need but you might want to add additional protection where there aren't any. While gussets are good to have, I personally wouldn't throw any more money at your factory axle than is needed. From there, you'll start to learn what you really need and want and when.

Owen19

If I have a chance to start from scratch on my JKUR this is the order on how I would do things.

1. Recovery gear
2. Winch and front bumper
3. Skid system
4. Flat fenders or trim OEM
5. Tires
6. Programmer/tuner
7. Lift
8. Rear bumper/carrier
9. Re-gear
10. Gussets

Re-gear is almost at the end of my list because on a rubicon I can live with the 4.10's and 35's. It might be a different story if I have higher gears and different TC.

GraniteCrystal

If I have a chance to start from scratch on my JKUR this is the order on how I would do things.

1. Recovery gear
2. Winch and front bumper
3. Skid system
4. Flat fenders or trim OEM
5. Tires
6. Programmer/tuner
7. Lift
8. Rear bumper/carrier
9. Re-gear
10. Gussets

Re-gear is almost at the end of my list because on a rubicon I can live with the 4.10's and 35's. It might be a different story if I have higher gears and different TC.

Tires before lift and gussets last? I'd want gussets as soon as a 35 or larger went on. Same thing with new gears (though 4.10s and 35s definitely doable as you noted) .

I did lift first. Then 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, and 10 all within a week. No regrets. No broken parts.

IMG_20170305_160714.jpg

Top Bottom