Stock upgrade progression

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know I don't wheel as much as most but I literally went years without a winch and find it hard to understand why everyone seems to think it's more important to have than a rear bumper tire carrier - something that is useful all the time especially being that it takes a heavy spare off the tailgate and puts it on the frame where it really should be. But then, that's just me.

biggdeal

Tires before lift and gussets last? I'd want gussets as soon as a 35 or larger went on. Same thing with new gears (though 4.10s and 35s definitely doable as you noted) .

I did lift first. Then 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, and 10 all within a week. No regrets. No broken parts.

View attachment 247217
I've been following your build very closely as it is very close to what i would like to do over the next year or so. I fell in to a set of MCE fenders, but might decide to sell them off after seeing how nice your fender job turned out. Something about keeping those body matching fenders...

Owen19

Tires before lift and gussets last? I'd want gussets as soon as a 35 or larger went on. Same thing with new gears (though 4.10s and 35s definitely doable as you noted) .

I did lift first. Then 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, and 10 all within a week. No regrets. No broken parts.

View attachment 247217
I know it was kinda confusing, but from 5 to 8 those upgrades would be almost simultaneous or a few days weeks apart. I did went for a couple of easy to mild offroad trips with just fender trim, 35's and 1" coil spacer up front.

GraniteCrystal

I've been following your build very closely as it is very close to what i would like to do over the next year or so. I fell in to a set of MCE fenders, but might decide to sell them off after seeing how nice your fender job turned out. Something about keeping those body matching fenders...
Thanks man! Much appreciated. The body match do look great IMO. I think the new gen 3 MCE flares that look like carbon fiber would look freaking on a granite Jeep though as well. Which MCE fenders do you have?

Owen19

I know I don't wheel as much as most but I literally went years without a winch and find it hard to understand why everyone seems to think it's more important to have than a rear bumper tire carrier - something that is useful all the time especially being that it takes a heavy spare off the tailgate and puts it on the frame where it really should be. But then, that's just me.
I've been putting off on buying a winch for a year now. Maybe because I always get away with just a shovel and a few wood blocks. Or I'm just lucky enough to get stuck and not warrant a winch to get out of it.

Do you think I can push it back a few more months before buying a winch? Me and my girlfriend always do solo runs/camping trips but usually on easy to mild trails.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've been putting off on buying a winch for a year now. Maybe because I always get away with just a shovel and a few wood blocks. Or I'm just lucky enough to get stuck and not warrant a winch to get out of it.

Do you think I can push it back a few more months before buying a winch? Me and my girlfriend always do solo runs/camping trips but usually on easy to mild trails.

Cindy and I have and still do solo runs all the time and have been doing so for about 25 years now. Many of those years without a winch and a lot of the places we go, one wouldn't even make a difference. You just need to know your limits and not tempt fate.

What I can tell you is that a VAST MAJORITY of people who own winches rarely if ever use them. This is not to say they are great to have and I do on both my JK's but more times than not, a strap can do the job just as well and faster and easier. Of course, that's just me.

In a nutshell, yes, I think you could hold off.

Owen19

Cindy and I have and still do solo runs all the time and have been doing so for about 25 years now. Many of those years without a winch and a lot of the places we go, one wouldn't even make a difference. You just need to know your limits and not tempt fate.

What I can tell you is that a VAST MAJORITY of people who own winches rarely if ever use them. This is not to say they are great to have and I do on both my JK's but more times than not, a strap can do the job just as well and faster and easier. Of course, that's just me.

Thank you for the advice. So holding off wasn't a bad idea after all.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for the advice. So holding off wasn't a bad idea after all.

Not in my opinion. Like I said, winches are great to have and I would always recommend having one if you can afford it but they're far from being as "necessary" as so many seem to believe.

biggdeal

Thanks man! Much appreciated. The body match do look great IMO. I think the new gen 3 MCE flares that look like carbon fiber would look freaking on a granite Jeep though as well. Which MCE fenders do you have?
I have an order in for a set of front and rear Gen II OE width. However, I didn't even realize there was a Gen III carbon fiber option as it's not on their site (or i'm blind). That carbon fiber finish would look SICK on a granite jeep. Might have to switch it up if they haven't shipped yet.

Randy Tadevich

Hey Eddie. I have had the 37's on the stock carrier since last May. So far so good, until it cracks, then I'll worry about it then. I have used my wench far more assisting others than I have myself, in scenarios other than just on the trail too. You wheel a lot where most people have wenches and heavily moded. I do a lot of runs where no one has a wench except myself. So it helps to have at least one person in the group that has one.

Sent from my LGLS740 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Eddie. I have had the 37's on the stock carrier since last May. So far so good, until it cracks, then I'll worry about it then. I have used my wench far more assisting others than I have myself, in scenarios other than just on the trail too. You wheel a lot where most people have wenches and heavily moded. I do a lot of runs where no one has a wench except myself. So it helps to have at least one person in the group that has one.

A good wench is always good to have around I suppose especially if shes any good at pulling line :crazyeyes:

tavern-wench-plus-size-costume.jpg

Never said that having a WINCH wasn't a good thing, just not as "necessary" as so many choose to believe. In case you missed it, I recommend winches and have them on both my JK's. That being said, I've done plenty of wheeling without one as well. But then, that's just me.

Randy Tadevich

A good wench is always good to have around I suppose especially if shes any good at pulling line :crazyeyes:

Never said that having a WINCH wasn't a good thing, just not as "necessary" as so many choose to believe. In case you missed it, I recommend winches and have them on both my JK's. That being said, I've done plenty of wheeling without one as well. But then, that's just me.
haha...if i was from the south I could use that as an excuse for the misspell, but I'm not, so I will just have to blame it on the public school system. Lol good catch.
It just shows how versatile the wrangler really is and no two of us have the same build.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

haha...if i was from the south I could use that as an excuse for the misspell, but I'm not, so I will just have to blame it on the public school system. Lol good catch.
It just shows how versatile the wrangler really is and no two of us have the same build.

Okay. I needed a good laugh, and there it is! A single man may need a good wench on the trail. [emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug

^^^this. Where I work we have a fleet of about 150 4x4s operating throughout the state of Queensland in some pretty rough country. According to the drivers all of them have to have a winch even though 95% of them will never be unspooled before they are thrown away due to corrosion.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

:thankyou: :D

My point was more the fact that if you know your limits and don't tempt fate, there are plenty of places you can wheel and explore where a winch simply isn't needed. If you're on a trail where at least one winch is needed, you're probably pushing your limits and tempting fate.

sapperred1

Eddie is right.

I agree with Eddie that a winch is not essential. I had a TJ before my JK for 10 years and never got a winch. I went out quite a bit and sure there was a few times when I was solo that I had to say nope not doing that. I had plenty of fun without the winch. I would like to buy a winch in the future but it is farther down the list on my list.

DGUTS

I started by swapping out stock tires for 33" Duratracs. That gave me a more aggressive A/T tire that what mine came with, but didn't require me to get new wheels or a lift.

My next step was to remove the factory bumper covers (front and rear) and cut the stock bumper down to a stubby. I cut and stained a 1x6 piece of wood that I could bolt to the top of the stubby to mount my HiLift.

While we were out in Moab for EJS last year, we ran into the orange JKU pictured below. I talked to the guy - he explained that he didn't have the budget that his buddies had, so his build was a bit different. He had cut his stock fender flares, and they looked great (until I saw them up close, I didn't realize they were stock). He trimmed the front inner flares, and removed the rear inner flares altogether. In the front, he had a small stubby bumper with a stinger. Rather than a rear bumper, he had EVO 1083 rear frame D-ring mounts.

After we got back from Moab last spring, I knew I wanted to get to 35s. I decided to start by cutting my flares (because it didn't cost me anything). I had been a bit apprehensive to do so before Moab, but not after seeing the orange Jeep. I trimmed the front inner flares and ripped out the rear ones - but I bed-lined the rear.

In January, I had the biggest part of the build done all at once. I re-geared, put on heavier diff covers, added a 2.5" lift, and trussed my front axle. I also did new ball joints and u-joints. The parts were about $2800, and the labor was just under $2000. My wheels and tires were another $2500.

I wanted to do a front bumper, too, but I ran out of budget for now. Later this year, I hope to add an EVO 1/4 pounder front bumper, and then do a bolt on stinger. I'm going to stick with no rear bumper, and add the EVO D-ring mounts like the orange Jeep.

For now, my spare is in the back, sitting at an angle. I removed the stock spare tire rack and did an EVO vent delete tailgate cover.

Mine is the red one in the bottom two photos. It's kinda filthy right now, and it doesn't look as cool sitting in my driveway as it does on the trails. The front picture was taken about a month ago before I swapped the stock tow hooks out for new EVO D-ring mounts.

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_5080.jpg

IMG_4909.jpg

biggdeal

I talked with MCE and they no longer offer the Gen III in carbon fiber. Major bummer.

Top Bottom