2012+ Water pump

rtguy1

Thought I would share this info. I searched this forum for my issue and found nothing, so this may help some 2012+ owners. I own a 2012 Jk Sport with around 14,500 miles. I have been experiencing a strange squeak coming from my motor for about two weeks that I figured would be the belt, a pulley, or the water pump. Did a bit of research and found that several owners have been experiencing the same or similar issue. Here is a video of the exact sound I am having. It turns out it is the water pump failing already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LGuKIx4SHI

Others with a similar sound have had an issue with the pcv valve. It has taken the dealer several trips to diagnose the issue for some owners. One guy had 8 trips...lol They basically replaced all of the pulleys, the tensioner, the belt, etc. Hopefully this save some owners the trouble of dealing with a service department throwing parts at it. The big issue for me is that the damn part is on nat'l backorder. Don't know when I can get it. The service department called me and said to come get my rig and they would call me when the part is in. I will update once I get more info. Hopefully this helps some of you.

Prime8

I think the old steering pump works on the newer models and its rebuildable, unlike our new ones. I have been doing some research on the subject in regards to getting the PSC hydro setup. DChew might be able to help on this subject...

dchew

Well that definitely sounds like a water pump. Sorry it happened to your Jeep after so few miles. I'm surprised it took a dealer 8 tries to figure that one out. If they are backordered, then maybe there was a bad batch and Chrysler has them quarantined until they figure it out. First I've heard of it being a problem though. The power steering pump is known to be marginal if you add steering assist, but I don't know about any issues with the water pump. You never know, sometimes the internet makes it look as though almost everything is an epidemic. :idontknow:

Hmm, that "I don't know" emodicon is quickly becoming my favorite. The more that I see, the less that I know...
Dave

MTG

Caught the Bug
Interesting. Thanks for posting. I get a squeak sometimes while wheeling in dusty conditions. Something to keep an eye on I suppose.

Incidentally...that is one clean engine. 👍

Last edited:

rtguy1

update:

part came in today. dealer got me right in. replaced water pump and gasket in a couple hours. the squeak is now gone.

on another note my motor sounds quieter. i think they flashed/updated my computer. prob trying to stop more eventual head replacements...lol

tech said the water pump is an issue on the pentastar. keep your ears open guys.

StrizzyChris

This is the first im hearing about this as well. :thinking: curious if itll become more problematic once the 12's get more miles on them

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

jeepmojo

thanks thats good info there man

update:

part came in today. dealer got me right in. replaced water pump and gasket in a couple hours. the squeak is now gone.

on another note my motor sounds quieter. i think they flashed/updated my computer. prob trying to stop more eventual head replacements...lol

tech said the water pump is an issue on the pentastar. keep your ears open guys.
least we know what it is and the fix now ( knock on wood nothing like that on mine as of yet 12,000)

aldaman

update:

Thanks for posting this. My JK has ~6.5k miles and I think I developed the same problem/noise. I will be taking it to the dealer soon...

http://youtu.be/cpGx5WZ9rVo

http://youtu.be/wtUSvWpCU8I

Last edited:

rtguy1

Thanks for posting this. My JK has ~6.5k miles and I think I developed the same problem/noise. I will be taking it to the dealer soon...

http://youtu.be/cpGx5WZ9rVo

http://youtu.be/wtUSvWpCU8I

THATS IT!!!!! Glad someone found this useful.

sounds just like mine. doesnt sound like much but it gets annoying as hell and worse too. be prepared to waste one trip in to have it diagnosed and the part ordered. quick few hour repair once they get the pump in.

rtguy1

One more bites the dust. My buddy with a 2013 2 door called to ask about my water pump issue. He has a noise going on. Sent him a link to the video and he confirmed its the same sound. Going to the dealer tomorrow to confirm water pump failure. I will update tomorrow once he has dealer confirmation as well.

suicideking

I had the same issue and they replaced the water pump on mine too (2012). Took 3-4 trips to the dealer for mine. It's been 6 months or so, noise hasn't come back.

Skid_Kid

My JKUR is going to the dealer tomorrow morning for this issue. Paychex.308 and I first noticed the squeal on Saturday. It has been coming and going, getting worse every time.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While in Moab last week, we developed this squeak and, after reading this thread, have to think it might be our water pump as well. Of course, being that Moby is still at the dealership, I guess Rubicat will just have to take a number :rolleyes2:

rtguy1

Oh no! Hopefully the pumps they are using to replace the junk with don't end up failing as well. I forgot to update this thread but my buddies rig did indeed get a new water pump.

Skid_Kid

While in Moab last week, we developed this squeak and, after reading this thread, have to think it might be our water pump as well. Of course, being that Moby is still at the dealership, I guess Rubicat will just have to take a number :rolleyes2:

Well I am going there first thing tomorrow morning. I will inquire about parts availability. I will also give Moby wave for you!

gtony12

Caught the Bug

Mobby's still at the dealer!:eek: wow! that's a longtime with out your jeep :yup:

Skid_Kid

Well Betty is at the dealer. Now the waiting game begins.

Skid_Kid

Just got a call from the dealer, it is the water pump. Parts have to come Milwaukee, going to pick it up and take it back when the parts come in.

rtguy1

Just got a call from the dealer, it is the water pump. Parts have to come Milwaukee, going to pick it up and take it back when the parts come in.

ugh....at least it will be fixed. they replaced mine in a couple hours after parts arrived:thumb:

Top Bottom