Need 60/60?

The BAD Influence

My goal is get 37s and an LS swap. We spend about 75% of the time on the street, 15% on back roads hunting or fishing, and 10% in Moab. I've found that our wheeling in Moab is getting more aggressive. Two deciding factors in deciding to go for the LS swap, 1) we live at 6000 ft and are constantly going up and down the canyon, 2) wife is tired of the tent and wants a small trailer for camping, fishing, and hunting.
I have decided to go with Dynatrac's Trail Leader Package, but after meeting with a local shop owner, I'm worried the PR 44 front and upgraded rear isn't​going to be enough.
Based on our usage I figured this package would be fine, but this guy was pretty confident I'd be unhappy if I didn't jump to the 60/60 hard core package. On the plus side if I went with the 60/60 I guess 40s would be something to think about in the future.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

RSQCON

Sounds like you should bump up to the 60/60 package. Which shop were you talking to? Fat Bobs, Impulse, Moab Outfitters?

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Have you regeared yet for the 37s? It makes a difference. I'm at the same elev in elko and haven't had a problem with 4.56 and my 37s. If you plan on staying with 37s you'll be fine with the trail leader package in my opinion. But if you want the re assurance or want to go with 40s if go with 60/60 combo. You can do the prorock 44/60 combo as well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

The BAD Influence

Have you regeared yet for the 37s? It makes a difference. I'm at the same elev in elko and haven't had a problem with 4.56 and my 37s. If you plan on staying with 37s you'll be fine with the trail leader package in my opinion. But if you want the re assurance or want to go with 40s if go with 60/60 combo. You can do the prorock 44/60 combo as well.

I haven't dared put the 37s on yet as I'm on a D30 and as such haven't regeared as I figure I'll have to do it all over again anyway. From reading a lot of information on this forum, I assumed the Trail Leader package and 37s would be just fine. But given the fact that I am now going with an LS swap, wanting to pull a trailer, and that I live in a high elevation and canyon driving, this guy was telling me the PR 44 and upgraded rear wont be enough. So now it feels as if I'm back to square one with planning my build.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
If your thinking about an LS swap, you should definitely consider 1 tons front and rear. Depending how heavy your setup is, you really might want to consider the 60/80 package. Will you move to 40's? And how heavy is the trailer?

The BAD Influence

40s were never really a consideration, until the 60/60 recommendation came up. I still really doubt I'd make that jump, but it is bouncing around in the back of my mind. As of now the Jeep isn't all that heavy, but my wife loves the new LOD rock sliders with step, as well as their big ass roof rack. We'll also be adding their rear bumper with tire carrier when we go with the 37s. The trailer she wants is 2700 lbs empty.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I haven't dared put the 37s on yet as I'm on a D30 and as such haven't regeared as I figure I'll have to do it all over again anyway. From reading a lot of information on this forum, I assumed the Trail Leader package and 37s would be just fine. But given the fact that I am now going with an LS swap, wanting to pull a trailer, and that I live in a high elevation and canyon driving, this guy was telling me the PR 44 and upgraded rear wont be enough. So now it feels as if I'm back to square one with planning my build.

I suspect if you're going with the 5.3 the 44/PR44 combo should be fine. If you're going with a 6.0 or 6.2, then a 60/60 or 60/80 would be better.

aermotor

The 60/60 isn't really that much more than the 44/60. Of course it IS more but you're already way up there on cost and I would definitely go 60/60 especially with an LS. That will be a bullet proof setup that I think you will really enjoy.

fiend

Caught the Bug

I suspect if you're going with the 5.3 the 44/PR44 combo should be fine. If you're going with a 6.0 or 6.2, then a 60/60 or 60/80 would be better.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
So you're possibly getting 2 more Jeeps doing coilovers in 2 of them, doing an LS swap and 60/60 combo, with 40's on your wife's DD and on 33's currently? Just trying to picture where you are and where you're going. It's tough to piece together from all your prior posts.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I think I get that you want a BA jeep, but it just seems like a huge leap when it seems like you are just getting into the sport. Personally, I get really passionate about my hobbies too, but I also hate being the poser who shows up with a tool that is way more capable than my abilities, I am by no means calling you a poser. I'd rather build some street cred and work in to it. (That's just me), meaning I'd build the jeep in stages. I don't see why you couldn't​ get the 37's and then see what you need, (many others may disagree with that statement). Doesn't sound like you are hurting on cash or worried about breaking on the trail, as you've said as much.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's only money, right? :crazyeyes:

Honestly, if you're set on getting an LS, I personally wouldn't waste your money on a 5.3L as the gains over a 3.6L Pentastar won't be very much especially for the cost of the swap. If you go 6.0L or 6.2L, I personally would recommend no less than 60/60 and if you really plan to run 40's and play more aggressively, a 60/80 is what I would recommend. It's what I'm running now with my 6.2L.

That being said, if you're really just going to run 37's and if money is a concern, I might stick with the 44/60 and just regear to 5.13. If you really need the extra power and don't mind running on the high side of your RPM's, run 5.38's.

The BAD Influence

I think I get that you want a BA jeep, but it just seems like a huge leap when it seems like you are just getting into the sport. Personally, I get really passionate about my hobbies too, but I also hate being the poser who shows up with a tool that is way more capable than my abilities, I am by no means calling you a poser. I'd rather build some street cred and work in to it. (That's just me), meaning I'd build the jeep in stages. I don't see why you couldn't​ get the 37's and then see what you need, (many others may disagree with that statement). Doesn't sound like you are hurting on cash or worried about breaking on the trail, as you've said as much.

You're absolutely correct, I am all over the place. Maybe I should have read more and posted less. Since getting this Jeep I've had a lot of dreams and ideas. We as a family are really getting into this hobby. My twin girls each have their own XJs now. One is lifted with 31s (she's the aggressive one) the other is stock. Also, we've gotten to be pretty good friends with some people from Moab and go down regularly. We can do alot of the trails they do, they're on 42s, but much slower and sometimes via the bypass. So even though we haven't been doing this along time, we're definitely not just mall crawlers. Even though my wife has gotten more into it, and has things she wants on her Jeep (OMG, she wants the grumper and shark fine fenders) she has put a limit on where we're going with it. Because of where we live and the dog her Jeep is with the 33s, she's behind the LS swap. She doesn't really care about the axles, but will go with whatever we need, as long as she can still have the Core 4x4 control arms she wants. But once we hit a certain line in the sand, she has told me I'll need to get one of my own to go to the next level. So I apologize for being all over the place with my posts. In my mind I am building two Jeeps at the same time, what I can get by with on hers and what I really want on mine. I've found an 09 with a blown engine and may have to pull the trigger so I have it for mine.
The one thing I've found is that I didn't know what I didn't know. It's fun go out and meet others and see their builds, the information on this site is invaluable, I appreciate all the knowledge as well as the ball busting.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
You're absolutely correct, I am all over the place. Maybe I should have read more and posted less. Since getting this Jeep I've had a lot of dreams and ideas. We as a family are really getting into this hobby. My twin girls each have their own XJs now. One is lifted with 31s (she's the aggressive one) the other is stock. Also, we've gotten to be pretty good friends with some people from Moab and go down regularly. We can do alot of the trails they do, they're on 42s, but much slower and sometimes via the bypass. So even though we haven't been doing this along time, we're definitely not just mall crawlers. Even though my wife has gotten more into it, and has things she wants on her Jeep (OMG, she wants the grumper and shark fine fenders) she has put a limit on where we're going with it. Because of where we live and the dog her Jeep is with the 33s, she's behind the LS swap. She doesn't really care about the axles, but will go with whatever we need, as long as she can still have the Core 4x4 control arms she wants. But once we hit a certain line in the sand, she has told me I'll need to get one of my own to go to the next level. So I apologize for being all over the place with my posts. In my mind I am building two Jeeps at the same time, what I can get by with on hers and what I really want on mine. I've found an 09 with a blown engine and may have to pull the trigger so I have it for mine.
The one thing I've found is that I didn't know what I didn't know. It's fun go out and meet others and see their builds, the information on this site is invaluable, I appreciate all the knowledge as well as the ball busting.

I'd say use hers as guinea pig for about 1-2 years, then you'll know what you NEED. Obviously, if you step back, your question was "do I need a PR 60/60?" and most people are responding with the PR 60/60 is awesome...that doesn't answer the question. We all know its awesome, but only you can answer whether you really NEED it.

The BAD Influence

I'd say use hers as guinea pig for about 1-2 years, then you'll know what you NEED. Obviously, if you step back, your question was "do I need a PR 60/60?" and most people are responding with the PR 60/60 is awesome...that doesn't answer the question. We all know its awesome, but only you can answer whether you really NEED it.

Thanks for your feedback. I think the more I hear and the more I think of what our situation is, it's probably a good idea to just do it.

Journeyman

I just made the jump to 60's and I'm stoked so far. I just couldn't justify dumping a bunch of money into axles and still being on Rubi 44's
The one thing nobody talks about is the weight. I gained over 600 lbs and definitely notice the increase. Also my jeep definitely gets noticed a bunch more. Sticks out like a sore thumb. This can be calmed down by choosing wheels with more backspacing. Something to consider when it comes to the local law. Money seems to not be a problem for you, but remember it cost a lot more than the advertised 12,500 to get into pr60's. shit adds up real quick.

Top Bottom