Tom Woods Drive Shaft

DLowe27

I was wondering if any of you guys have had any experiance with these drive shafts. I was wondering if they were as good as I have been reading. Also does it matter if I buy them before I do my 44 front swamp.

DLowe27

Awesome thats what I was hoping to hear. Also does anyone know what axles i should put in? Are the Teraflex good or should I go Dynatrac or even the Mopar axles.

Last edited:

Tcdawg

TW drive shafts are top notch, you won't be disappointed. I have a rear that just took a beating on a wheeling trip last weekend, drive it home with no vibs or problems.

Skid_Kid

I was wondering if any of you guys have had any experiance with these drive shafts. I was wondering if they were as good as I have been reading. Also does it matter if I buy them before I do my 44 front swamp.

My personal opinion is to go with J.E. Reel with Dynatrac axles. You really don't need to swap out your rear if your running 37's or under. A ProRock 44 will bolt right into your Sahara and provide you with the wheeling strength you are looking for. If you want to wheel anything over a 37 inch tire, ProRock 60's would be your best bet.

This is what I would do anyways. :yup::yup:

Oh boy....
:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The shaft is fine, it's the u-joints he uses that aren't. If you're dead set on getting one, do yourself a favor and pay to upgrade your u-joints to set of spicer or made in the USA Neapco joints.

DLowe27

I plan on running 37's maybe 40's sometime in the near future I just wanted to bulletproof my drivetrain first. Thanks I will check out those driveshafts.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
I will let the cat out of the bag. Most of the people on here do not like there drive shaft because they come standard with sub par u-joints that are made in china. If you go with a je-real they use neapco u-joints that are made in the USA.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I will let the cat out of the bag. Most of the people on here do not like there drive shaft because they come standard with sub par u-joints that are made in china. If you go with a je-real they use neapco u-joints that are made in the USA.

I can't speak for anyone else but, I can speak for what I have seen with my own eyes and that's gold seal u-joints failing again and again where others have not. I know some will try to suggest that I'm just "bashing" Tom Woods because they aren't a sponsor or something silly like that but, I honestly couldn't make this stuff up. Click on the video below and fast forward to 18:17. Yes, it's just one example that I am showing here but, I can assure you I have seen more instances just like it...

What kind of shaft was it that broke here? Where did it break? So there's no confusion here, the Jeep that this Tom Wood shaft was installed on NEVER got to wheel the whole week due to unrelated problems. On this last day, he finally got to hit the dirt and test out all the NEW components he just installed on his Jeep and one of which was his brand new Woody. Nobody else suffered a break here as the obstacle in question wasn't anything to write home about. The break appeared to have been a fluke or, from what I have seen many times in the past, a simple failure of a substandard part. Now, I'm not suggesting for a moment that all gold seal u-joints will fail, just that I have seen enough fail and without a good enough reason to make me reluctant to recommend them. But hey, that's just me. :yup:

I ran them in my CJ front and rear and never had a problem. I know when I ordered them that I paid for the upgraded u joints. Couldn't tell you which ones tho long time ago. Krawloffroad just released a driveshaft too. No feed back on it as of yet but the price seems good

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I ran them in my CJ front and rear and never had a problem. I know when I ordered them that I paid for the upgraded u joints. Couldn't tell you which ones tho long time ago. Krawloffroad just released a driveshaft too. No feed back on it as of yet but the price seems good

Like I said, I'm not suggesting that ALL gold seal u-joints will fail, just that I have seen enough of them fail that I'm reluctant to recommend them. I feel the same way about Goodyear MT/R or BFG MT tires, not everyone will suffer sidewall failures but, I have seen enough fail to be reluctant to recommend them or at least, for the kind of wheeling we do out west.

Top Bottom