Tom Woods Drive Shaft

Tackerdown

Banned
Like I said, I'm not suggesting that ALL gold seal u-joints will fail, just that I have seen enough of them fail that I'm reluctant to recommend them. I feel the same way about Goodyear MT/R or BFG MT tires, not everyone will suffer sidewall failures but, I have seen enough fail to be reluctant to recommend them or at least, for the kind of wheeling we do out west.

How to say this with out sounding all sentimental. This is the replies I like to hear ( reluctance to recommend because of seeing enough failures.) It's your name your putting out there not the fan boy shit that other try to portray you as. And that goes for the rest of you guies that help us noobs out on hear. Nothing against the posts that say they use the same thing and don't have problem because that helps to, your wheeling may be closer to what I do more so than the other and may be just fine but in the end I'm still going with something that's going to take more abuse than what I'm going to give it. Two pennies.

C.O.D.

loadbreak

What I know about tom woods, is that ya, his cheap shafts have the golds seal, junk, u joints, but he is a distributor for neapco ans Spicer. When I had mine made, I opted for regular u bolt type yokes on the axles, Spicer u joints and a neapco cv. I did not want to use flanges. I have not had any problems so far. I don't wheel like Eddie though :). I had j.e.reels also, and they were fine.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How to say this with out sounding all sentimental. This is the replies I like to hear ( reluctance to recommend because of seeing enough failures.) It's your name your putting out there not the fan boy shit that other try to portray you as. And that goes for the rest of you guies that help us noobs out on hear. Nothing against the posts that say they use the same thing and don't have problem because that helps to, your wheeling may be closer to what I do more so than the other and may be just fine but in the end I'm still going with something that's going to take more abuse than what I'm going to give it. Two pennies.

C.O.D.

For whatever it's worth, I appreciate it :)

What I know about tom woods, is that ya, his cheap shafts have the golds seal, junk, u joints, but he is a distributor for neapco ans Spicer. When I had mine made, I opted for regular u bolt type yokes on the axles, Spicer u joints and a neapco cv. I did not want to use flanges. I have not had any problems so far. I don't wheel like Eddie though :). I had j.e.reels also, and they were fine.

Like I said, IF you were to get one, just pay to upgrade the u-joints. Aside from that and how well it's balanced, a drive shaft is just a drive shaft.

DLowe27

So this may sound stupid to some of you but if I put in a 6" Teraflex Elite long arm kit am I going to have to get a longer driveshaft? I know in my mud truck anything over 6" required one.:idontknow:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So this may sound stupid to some of you but if I put in a 6" Teraflex Elite long arm kit am I going to have to get a longer driveshaft? I know in my mud truck anything over 6" required one.:idontknow:

Not a stupid question at all. I know some will have you believe that you need to take specific measurements and have a shaft custom made for what you need but, on a JK with 4"-6" of lift, you can pretty much buy any good off the shelf drive shaft as they will have enough slip designed into the shaft to accomodate the range. The only time you really do need to take measurements and get a shaft made for your specific needs is if you upgrade to something like a Dana 60. In that case, the bigger housing will require that you run a shorter shaft.

DLowe27

OK because I am going to upgrade to a 60 in the rear before I lift it. Im actually looking for that now.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
So I just bought a Tom Woods front drive shaft. I'm glad I found this thread. Someone made a comment that it was too bad the U-joint had a yellow seal and I was wondering what they were talking about. I bought a blue seal Spicer for a replacement and I guess that is a good thing.

Is there a way to tell before the U-joint snaps? I guess it will tear up other stuff when it goes. My assumption would be I should just replace the U-joints now. :mad:

Just put the shaft on yesterday... o well.

Thanks for this thread.

GCM 2

So I just bought a Tom Woods front drive shaft. I'm glad I found this thread. Someone made a comment that it was too bad the U-joint had a yellow seal and I was wondering what they were talking about. I bought a blue seal Spicer for a replacement and I guess that is a good thing.

Is there a way to tell before the U-joint snaps? I guess it will tear up other stuff when it goes. My assumption would be I should just replace the U-joints now. :mad:

Just put the shaft on yesterday... o well.

Thanks for this thread.

They are not "yellow" seal U-joints but, "Gold Seal" U-joints (see photo). These are Tom Woods' own brand of U-Joints. I will state that; I have absolutely no experience with these U-joints. The debate about "Gold Seal" U-joints is that they are prone to early failures and overall weakness, and lastly, are supposed to made in China. Doesn't really matter to me because I have been a long time Spicer and Neapco brand user and just stick with those because of common availability.

Attachments

• image-736606978.jpg
    image-736606978.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
They are not "yellow" seal U-joints but, "Gold Seal" U-joints (see photo). These are Tom Woods' own brand of U-Joints. I will state that; I have absolutely no experience with these U-joints. The debate about "Gold Seal" U-joints is that they are prone to early failures and overall weakness, and lastly, are supposed to made in China. Doesn't really matter to me because I have been a long time Spicer and Neapco brand user and just stick with those because of common availability.

Ok well the pic you posted is like the ones that are in my drive shaft so I will be changing them out with the spicer I bought. I believe there are 3 total in the double cardin shaft so I will be buying 2 more spicers. I didn't realize there was this issue and I am glad I was able to find this thread. I don't want premature failure. Premature anything sucks... so I've heard. :icon_crazy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom