The inevitable 2012 JKR Sway Bar E Disco won't disengage anymore.

I went out to cleghorn yesterday and did a little off roading. I Put it in 4wd so I could disconnect the sway bar for a smoother ride. I know the Sway bar connects itself if you go above 15 or 20 and will automatically disconnect itself once you slow down again. I was hitting a few areas a little fast and now the swaybar won't disengage anymore :doh: Plus, the sway bar light has been constantly blinking and I've tried turning the jeep off, holding down the switch, switching in and out of 4wd, and even trying to flex the suspension a little bit. I'm going to try to open it up when I get some time, but just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction or give me some advice on what to look for. It's still under warranty so I was thinking about taking it in because the check engine light is on to. I just don't want to tell my dealership the whole story then deny me because I was off road or what ever. I'm already considering the EVO sway bar disconnect thing to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Moochie

Take it to the dealership. Tell them it just quit working. You don't have to explain anything to them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Try disconnecting the wiring harness from the disconnect motor, clean it out and the re-attach it making sure that it is securely in place. Sometimes, they can work themselves loose and that will effect it. Also, water can get inside and that'll effect it too. Of course, if you are still under warranty, I would see if you could get it covered.

Irishcoffee

Sorry to hear about this "epic" sway sad story. I've replaced two under warranty and the third got AEV Procal final "medical" attention! Smartbar producer is a great company, so Mopar but this sway crap aint worth those money they ask for!
Forget my grammar but I will not buy a healing story about that great "Rubi feature"! Dito!
Go EVO and have peace with it!

Last edited:

Tackerdown

Banned
Here is an interesting tidbit ,that's my shelden quote. I had an issue in my 2011 , funny part was I kept pushing on the bottom of the switch ,need a duh icon . funny how well it worked when I pushed on the top of the switch to turn it back off .

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I wish it were as easy as just holding down the button. As soon as I get a chance to take a look or get it to the dealer, I'll update you. Hopefully it will bring peace of mind to others who will face this epidemic. :grayno:

rinkishjk

I would try unplugging it, cleaning it with electronic cleaner, and put die electric grease on all the pins before u put it back on. I did this with mine a long time ago, and I never had an issue with water getting in.

Update, just dropped the jeep off this morning at the dealer. My check engine light blinked at me yesterday so I didn't want to procrastinate any further. Told em about the sway bar. They didn't ask details, so I didn't tell.

HGJKRubi

take it to the dealer and get it fixed. I had 2 rubi swaybars fixed under warranty...complete replacements. But save yourself the hassle going forward and spend the $90 on the EVO no limits manual sway bar knob. 5 minute install and makes full use of your rubi sway bar design with no electronics to get in the way

take it to the dealer and get it fixed. I had 2 rubi swaybars fixed under warranty...complete replacements. But save yourself the hassle going forward and spend the $90 on the EVO no limits manual sway bar knob. 5 minute install and makes full use of your rubi sway bar design with no electronics to get in the way

Thanks tackerdown. That's good to hear HGJ. And ya all these electronics are nice, but with that just comes more problems.

Update!!! Dealer ship called and told me that the check engine light was for the infamous cylinder head issue. They will be keeping it till either mon or tues. I was gonna ask about the sway bar but I forgot to ask before he hung up. I'm sure they're taking care of it though.

JUST GOT MY JEEP BACK!!! They replaced the cylinder head and said the sway bar was fine. I asked the service rep specifically if they actually tested it out, and he said yes they drove it around and it worked just fine. I'll just have to check it out myself tonight to be sure.

Dave_g

Glad to hear there was no issue with the dealership and they took care of everything for you!:rock:

Top Bottom