LOD Rear Tire Carrier Shorty vs Full Length

Dusty

Just fixing to install a RK 2.5 Max Travel Kit on my 2011 JKUR and am looking to purchase an LOD Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier. The problem I am having is there an advantage or disadvantage of the shorty over the full length.:thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The Shorty will give you better departure angles without having to sacrifice quarter panel protection. Also, if you run trimmed or flat fenders, the Shorty will look like it was made for them whereas a full width bumper will not.

Dusty

Awesome, I am running stock flares and was concerned about protection in the rear quarter panel area and honestly it looking dumb with stock or pocket flares. Trying to stay road compliant until I PCS somewhere more laid back.

cuongdyna

Just fixing to install a RK 2.5 Max Travel Kit on my 2011 JKUR and am looking to purchase an LOD Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier. The problem I am having is there an advantage or disadvantage of the shorty over the full length.:thinking:

image-2329301859.jpg

image-2330371543.jpg

There is mine and my friend LOD bumpers. His is a shorty and mine is not.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Autorotate

Gen3 Shorty Linked...Also running an RK 2.5 max travel

Install was actually straight forward. Instructions from LOD were a little incomplete, but I found some clues from a Gen2 install (from here) and the actual instructions. The extra third brake light extension was different than in the instructions to facilitate the Linked setup.

The brackets that slide over the frame are tight. I somehow managed to wrangle it on to measure, mark and drill additional holes and off again by myself. Find another set of hands if able.

It is heavy. I bet 90lbs or more installed not including the tire or accessories.

No rattles, except when I have my hi-lift on and what does is specifically from the hi-lift.

Overall very happy with the choice.

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

Cheesy goofing off when I should of been driving back to work picture

IMG_0580_001.jpg

Dusty

Autorotate that looks sweet, did you have to run a spacer in the rear to compensate for sag?

Dusty

Sweet trying to figure out if I should address that when I order as I will be running some cans as well.

Autorotate

Sweet trying to figure out if I should address that when I order as I will be running some cans as well.

It might be a consideration. Even without the bumper on, the RK lift sat nose high slightly. I think they do that to offset the front rake, bumpers and winches to be added on. They are progressive front springs with linear rears.

Dusty

That's one awesome looking bumper, I think Gen 3 swing out is what I'm going with now just need to find who has the best deal on em right now and get it ordered.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I just sold my LOD gen 3 signature shorty. It's a good bumper. Rear lights are bright. My only complaint about it is the spring pin never worked that great even out of the box. Plus it is very heavy! Oh and be sure to put in good rear light...you cannot access them without pulling the bumper off. :(

Dusty

That sucks on the lights, seems like they would have engineered it better with access to the lights in mind. Taking it off to change lights seems like it would be a pita.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
That sucks on the lights, seems like they would have engineered it better with access to the lights in mind. Taking it off to change lights seems like it would be a pita.

Its really not LOD's design. That rear frame crossmember is there to hold it on and you can't really get around it. The only option would be to not put in lights at all or make them pop out of the front which would make it easier for them to pop out.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Its really not LOD's design. That rear frame crossmember is there to hold it on and you can't really get around it. The only option would be to not put in lights at all or make them pop out of the front which would make it easier for them to pop out.

Agreed, there really isn't much you can do here other than not install the lights at all.

Top Bottom