Hydro steering bleeding

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Working on bleeding my new hydro system. Is it normal to have it much harder to turn passenger while bleeding versus turning driver? Also is it normal to have fluid come out of the reservoir when turning with the motor off while bleeding? Thanks for any thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

Working on bleeding my new hydro system. Is it normal to have it much harder to turn passenger while bleeding versus turning driver? Also is it normal to have fluid come out of the reservoir when turning with the motor off while bleeding? Thanks for any thoughts!

Its normal for the fluid levels to change when you turn. If it's overflowing you have too much fluid in the resovoir. Use a turkey baster to take some out. As for hard steering. You might have the ram hoses backwards. Unhook one end of the ram to tie rod or axle and see where it's extending versus where you are turning. Be careful if it is hooked up as the ram has enough strength to shear the mounts off if the lines are backwards.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Its normal for the fluid levels to change when you turn. If it's overflowing you have too much fluid in the resovoir. Use a turkey baster to take some out. As for hard steering. You might have the ram hoses backwards. Unhook one end of the ram to tie rod or axle and see where it's extending versus where you are turning. Be careful if it is hooked up as the ram has enough strength to shear the mounts off if the lines are backwards.

No, they are correct. Did your turn hard while bleeding?

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
It was stiff but never hard or binding. Heavy would be a good way of describing it. It was only like that when I had my ram hoses backwards; which I initially did. Are you tires off the ground?

Yep. Tires are up and the first time I started it up and turned it a few times I could turn it with one finger. Then it got stiffer. Wondering if I still have a ton of air in there?

J

JKDream

Yep. Tires are up and the first time I started it up and turned it a few times I could turn it with one finger. Then it got stiffer. Wondering if I still have a ton of air in there?

What size ram are you using and are you using the stock pump or PSC pump? If there's air in the ram it will extend slower than your steering which will cause that stiff feeling. It also happens if you use the stock pump but I don't think you are?

I bled mine as much as possible and then drove it for a few days. It will eventually bleed itself. You just want to get all of the initial air out.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
What size ram are you using and are you using the stock pump or PSC pump? If there's air in the ram it will extend slower than your steering which will cause that stiff feeling. It also happens if you use the stock pump but I don't think you are?

I am using a stock pump that RR modified for more flow. It is weird why my wife could turn it with one finger the first time we started the motor during the bleed process then it got stiffer.

J

JKDream

I am using a stock pump that RR modified for more flow. It is weird why my wife could turn it with one finger the first time we started the motor during the bleed process then it got stiffer.

1.5 or 1.75 ram? That's normal. The stock pump only outputs so much flow. Mine is the same. Very light at first but when I turn quickly it gets heavy. I did the pump mod as well.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Ok. Just unhooked the ram end on the tie rod. It extended when I turned driver but did not retract when I turned passenger. Are the hoses backwards?

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Same here. Top of the box to passenger, side port drivers. Sounds like you have them in the right orientation.

I disconnected my ram and now I can’t even steer to passenger with the steering box they ported. My trackbar is still disconnected so maybe that is making it hard to steer to the passenger side with my tires on the ground?

J

JKDream

I disconnected my ram and now I can’t even steer to passenger with the steering box they ported. My trackbar is still disconnected so maybe that is making it hard to steer to the passenger side with my tires on the ground?

Yes, you wouldn't be able to turn without the track bar hooked up.
The Jeep will pivot over the axle instead of turning.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Got it back on jackstands and it steers both directions but it is not even as easy as when it had stock steering. Could there just be a ton of air in the system still? Definitely still harder to steer to passenger vs driver side.

Top Bottom