What would you do? (Build vs Recon)

ScottMc

I bought my first Jeep (JKU) at the end of 2014, it’s a 2015 Sahara. At the time it seemed like the right choice, mostly road driving with 10% trails and logging road stuff to go camping and fishing. Not hard core rock crawling. However my first mud experience showed how much lockers really mean. (Should have got the Rubicon is a recurring theme in my mind)

So, 2 years later I move from Atlanta to Portland, OR. I’ve been doing more harder, technical stuff, in addition to driving into snow conditions for skiing and other adventures.

I need lockers.

I’m thinking of trading the Sahara in for a Recon. But the math is a bitch.

I financed the Sahara since they gave me good terms but I’m halfway through the deal, which means I’ve paid the lion share of interest all ready. I currently owe approx 20K, they would probably give me around 30K value. The Recon is about 50K.

Aside of the 8 or so K that I get fleeced for the finance charges (if I go that route) I’m paying 20 to 25 K for moving from a Sahara to a Recon.

Would you do that or take the 20-25K to a shop and build the Sahara? Dynatracs + Evo + Atlas + Slabs/Nitto? Ultimately that would be a better rig if was done right, yes?

Add also that I’m new to Portland and have no idea where I would get the work done. I don’t have a garage myself so would be doing any self work in the driveway, in the cold, in the rain.

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
There are plenty of more experienced opinions than mine here at wayalife. That being said 20 to 25k is a lot of money for parts. It's significantly less money when paying someone to do all of the work for you. You'd probably end up spending at least 1/3 of your budget probably more just for labor. How many miles do you have on your Sahara now?

wutwasithnkn

There are plenty of more experienced opinions than mine here at wayalife. That being said 20 to 25k is a lot of money for parts. It's significantly less money when paying someone to do all of the work for you. You'd probably end up spending at least 1/3 of your budget probably more just for labor. How many miles do you have on your Sahara now?

Interesting question. I would agree with Archer on the labor cost...and would suggest it might be even higher. I don’t know about Oregon, but I would guess Labor wouldn’t be much cheaper than Chicago suburbs and they start here @ close to $100/hour for capable installers. I think $25k would get you a very capable jeep ...$20k might be pushing it for the parts you mention with full installation costs. I would suggest trying to connect with local jeep organization - at a minimum they could give you a good referral, and they might possibly have someone with a shop who would be happy to let you help out and do some of the work yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
I would go the build route. Odds are, once you by the RECON, you’ll end up modifying that and you will and be even deep in the hole. Problem is mods are addicting... they never stop.

desertrunner

So I went through some of this debate when buying my second JK I elected to buy a base model sport and swap a ton of parts that include the dynatrac trail leader package, Rubicon transfer case, rubi sway bar, etc. All in all once I get it all done I will have a stronger better build than a stock Rubicon. That being said it is not my daily driver, I have spent just over 15k in parts, and I have been doing 95% of the work myself. SO if you can find a shop to do all the work for 10k then you can get a better build than a stock Rubicon. I would say it's worth calling around to get some shop costs to install all of those parts and you will have a quality build. BUT that will take a lot of time and effort so if it is worth it to you to just trade it in for a recon the cost should be roughly the same. And a recon is a hell of a capable jeep right off the lot and will do much better than your Sahara and you have the added benefit of everything being factory integrated under warranty and less potential for something to go wrong that you may or may not know how to work on.

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
That kind of budget would definitely get you a pretty well-built rig but as a couple other people have stated it would probably cost you more like $25k. I'm still learning about the JK's but like everyone always says.. J.E.E.P.- Just empty every pocket! It is a tough choice to make. I would think you could do bolt on Evo coilover setup or even the Double Down long arm setup, along with a used(like new) Rubicon transfer case and either dynatrac axles or even Factory Rubicon axles for a replacement for what you have. Definitely go with dynatrac if you're planning on doing hardcore. And you can probably sell some of your stuff to help make up on the back end to get you some wheels and tires. All in all it just depends on how crazy and extreme you want to go.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I’d get a front axle, rear axle shafts and gears. Cost about $10k. Don’t worry about an Atlas, not worth 3-4 grand. You can get some new tires with wheel spacer and 2-3” lift then call it a day for 1-2 years. Down the road get some slabs.

With a recon, you’d still be looking at a lift, wheels, and tires.

J

JKDream

I bought my first Jeep (JKU) at the end of 2014, it’s a 2015 Sahara. At the time it seemed like the right choice, mostly road driving with 10% trails and logging road stuff to go camping and fishing. Not hard core rock crawling. However my first mud experience showed how much lockers really mean. (Should have got the Rubicon is a recurring theme in my mind)

So, 2 years later I move from Atlanta to Portland, OR. I’ve been doing more harder, technical stuff, in addition to driving into snow conditions for skiing and other adventures.

I need lockers.

I’m thinking of trading the Sahara in for a Recon. But the math is a bitch.

I financed the Sahara since they gave me good terms but I’m halfway through the deal, which means I’ve paid the lion share of interest all ready. I currently owe approx 20K, they would probably give me around 30K value. The Recon is about 50K.

Aside of the 8 or so K that I get fleeced for the finance charges (if I go that route) I’m paying 20 to 25 K for moving from a Sahara to a Recon.

Would you do that or take the 20-25K to a shop and build the Sahara? Dynatracs + Evo + Atlas + Slabs/Nitto? Ultimately that would be a better rig if was done right, yes?

Add also that I’m new to Portland and have no idea where I would get the work done. I don’t have a garage myself so would be doing any self work in the driveway, in the cold, in the rain.

Before diving head first into a full blown build, where are you at with your Sahara now? Stock?
How technical are we talking here for trails? Would a budget boost + 35's + a rear locker suffice?
If so - I don't see the sense in upgrading to a Rubicon. It's hard to tell though.
My definition of technical may be a lot different than yours.
37's, 40's etc are great, but are you really going to use them to their potential?
Rolling over everything on moderate trails is painfully boring.

I personally built a Sahara because the pricing here is outrageous for new vehicles.
I went 37's knowing I would run trails that need that tire size to keep it fun and difficult.
I can tell you from experience running a tire this big on terrain that doesn't call for it isn't fun.

GraniteCrystal

Don't finance a vehicle. Don't modify a financed vehicle. Start from there. I'd rather drive a stock Sport I owned than a built up Rubicon I was paying interest on.

If you're just asking in general, for me it was great to start with a Rubicon just to get my feet wet and learn. If I could do it over again, I'd do the same thing. But, if I bought another jeep now that I've learned a lot (in large part to this place), I'd buy a used Sport for as cheap as possible with low miles and the 3.6L engine and modify the crap out of that thing.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I say wait for the JL to show up at dealers.... Sit in it, test drive it & Hang out at JL Wrangler Forum.... Then re-evaluate; Now you have 3 options: Build the 14, New Recon JK or New Rubi JL.... JK Sahara to JK Recon seems questionable.... JK Sahara to JL Rubi might be well worth it. Especially if the JL has better Axles... A Minor Lift and 35s or 37’s and your good to go. (Big mods means fast Cash.... Buying New means slow payments) Either way you choose, you have a Jeep, so you’re already winning. [emoji1360]

ScottMc

Thanks all, its a tough call. Having it be a Sahara is what makes it harder. If it was a Sport, then I'd build it, but why pay for the Sahara if I'm going to yank all the axles out? On financing, I know its dumb, I should keep what I have since I'm already in it, I guess I just answered my own question. On financing, I actually could pay cash but that money makes about 8% in index funds and they lend it to me for 3%. First world problems for sure, but I don't want to be any dumber than I already am.

The lesson here to all you on the fence: Just get the Rubicon.

RioGrandeJK

I'm sort of in the same boat as you... a 2014 about half way done with the vehicle payment. I chose to go with the sport because I couldn't justify the extra $8k for the extra doo dads that I wasn't going to use daily. Since moving to an area where there is a lot of trails I wish I had the lockers and extra gearing since I increased tire size and such ( i recently got a quote of $3k to install 4.56 gears and a rear ARB locker). So gears will have to wait till its paid off or I have a really good fire season. But there is still something to be said about wheeling a mostly stock rig and developing your skill and learning the limitations of the jeep. If I had to do it over again I don't think I would do anything different. At the end of the day I love my Jeep, we are in it for the long haul. Mods come as they are needed, no need to rush into stuff.

I say pay off the 2014 then go hog wild on mods.

J

JKDream

Having it be a Sahara is what makes it harder. If it was a Sport, then I'd build it, but why pay for the Sahara if I'm going to yank all the axles out?

There's no difference in axles between the two. It's purely the trim levels.
Personally I like having power windows, doors, NAV etc.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Don't finance a vehicle. Don't modify a financed vehicle. Start from there. I'd rather drive a stock Sport I owned than a built up Rubicon I was paying interest on.

If you're just asking in general, for me it was great to start with a Rubicon just to get my feet wet and learn. If I could do it over again, I'd do the same thing. But, if I bought another jeep now that I've learned a lot (in large part to this place), I'd buy a used Sport for as cheap as possible with low miles and the 3.6L engine and modify the crap out of that thing.

^^^^this! I could agree more.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
^^^^this! I could agree more.

Why not finance? If you’re talking about the best use of capital, anytime you can earn more on your money than the lending rate you’d be better to take a loan....as long as you can afford to be levered. For example, money is invested in something that is earning 5% and you could either a) sell that invest to buy the good or b) take a loan for anything less than 5%. You be better at option b.

Edit: but I totally understand the practical point you’re trying to make. Definitely don’t finance mods.

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
I hate debt. I completely understand your point, but there’s a lot to be said about ownership. No matter what we think, the OP is going to be taking out a loan or paying off the one that he has. The big question is whether to modify what he has or buy a new rubicon. From personal experience, I have upgraded every single part of the rubicon package with the exception of the TC and the nice letters on my hood. The rubicon’s are great to get your feet wet, but if you get serious in the sport, you end up upgrading everything. It sounds like the OP is heading down that path. The most cost effective route long term would be to modify what he’s got. Just my 2cents.

mackey

Sell your Jeep and buy someone’s already EVO built JK for $40k less than what they put into it. There are some great deals on JKs where people put we’ll over a $100k into the Jeep and will now sell it in the $60 range. I believe someone is selling their EVO built JK in the for sale section here.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
If you plan on going big anyways that would be a great route. But I’d do that only after building or knowing how to build first, cause I’d want to know how to install and fix issue that occur on the Trail.

Last edited:
Top Bottom