What would you do? (Build vs Recon)

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Why not finance? If you’re talking about the best use of capital, anytime you can earn more on your money than the lending rate you’d be better to take a loan....as long as you can afford to be levered. For example, money is invested in something that is earning 5% and you could either a) sell that invest to buy the good or b) take a loan for anything less than 5%. You be better at option b.

Edit: but I totally understand the practical point you’re trying to make. Definitely don’t finance mods.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

If your talking about an asset that is increasing in value, I would agree with you, a vehicle is a asset that is decreasing. Believe me, I’ve been there with 2 big vehicle payments and a house payment that robs your cash flow. Once I started paying cash for things, it was a lot easier to get ahead. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

jeffj

Caught the Bug
Sell your Jeep and buy someone’s already EVO built JK for $40k less than what they put into it. There are some great deals on JKs where people put we’ll over a $100k into the Jeep and will now sell it in the $60 range. I believe someone is selling their EVO built JK in the for sale section here.

That’s exactly what I did, with no regrets.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
If your talking about an asset that is increasing in value, I would agree with you, a vehicle is a asset that is decreasing. Believe me, I’ve been there with 2 big vehicle payments and a house payment that robs your cash flow. Once I started paying cash for things, it was a lot easier to get ahead. Just my two cents.

No, my example was saying either you pay cash and sell an appreciating asset or you take a loan and keep the appreciating asset.

Note, lots of caveats there because there is no guarantee.

Last edited:

jeffj

Caught the Bug
No, my example was saying either you pay cash and sell an appreciating asset or you take a loan and keep the appreciating asset.

Note, lots of caveats there because there is no guarantee.

No, you said “why not finance”. And I was commenting on what you said “the best use of capital”. And I gave my opinion. And for the record a vehicle is not an appreciating asset.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
No, you said “why not finance”. And I was commenting on what you said “the best use of capital”. And I gave my opinion. And for the record a vehicle is not an appreciating asset.

Ok, I’m totally aware a vehicle is not an appreciating asset, not even a Jeep.

An appreciating asset is a stock, a bond, a house, etc. not a vehicle.

Side note, we are in full agreement. Just clarifying.

wjtstudios

Hooked
So many people overlook that fact about building it yourself. Somethings going to fail when you are way out in the middle of nowhere and if you built it, more than likely you can fix it!

Basscat

I bought my first Jeep (JKU) at the end of 2014, it’s a 2015 Sahara. At the time it seemed like the right choice, mostly road driving with 10% trails and logging road stuff to go camping and fishing. Not hard core rock crawling. However my first mud experience showed how much lockers really mean. (Should have got the Rubicon is a recurring theme in my mind)

So, 2 years later I move from Atlanta to Portland, OR. I’ve been doing more harder, technical stuff, in addition to driving into snow conditions for skiing and other adventures.

I need lockers.

I’m thinking of trading the Sahara in for a Recon. But the math is a bitch.

I financed the Sahara since they gave me good terms but I’m halfway through the deal, which means I’ve paid the lion share of interest all ready. I currently owe approx 20K, they would probably give me around 30K value. The Recon is about 50K.

Aside of the 8 or so K that I get fleeced for the finance charges (if I go that route) I’m paying 20 to 25 K for moving from a Sahara to a Recon.

Would you do that or take the 20-25K to a shop and build the Sahara? Dynatracs + Evo + Atlas + Slabs/Nitto? Ultimately that would be a better rig if was done right, yes?

Add also that I’m new to Portland and have no idea where I would get the work done. I don’t have a garage myself so would be doing any self work in the driveway, in the cold, in the rain.

I’d build up the Sahara. Serious axle set from Dynatrac ($9,700), Atlas ($3,000), lift ($2,500 - $5,000), bumpers ($2,000), rockers, Corners, etc. etc.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Like a lot said. Just go with the trail leader package. Can do wheels later on. If you do anything to your axles. From my experience, do it all at one. I️ regeared(30/44), then built a front 44. Wish I️ just saved for pr60s or do the trail leader package.

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
I think you got a lot of really good advice, like the trail leader package. That's a nice price for probably more axle than a lot would need. If I were trying to make the decision I'd first take a really realistic look at the type of wheeling I was actually gonna do. The second thing I'd do is be honest with myself about how much of the work I wanted/could do myself. I'd let those two determine my decision. I'd rather build with a goal in mind than build only to realize I over built or under built for my actual needs.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Don't finance a vehicle. Don't modify a financed vehicle. Start from there. I'd rather drive a stock Sport I owned than a built up Rubicon I was paying interest on.

If you're just asking in general, for me it was great to start with a Rubicon just to get my feet wet and learn. If I could do it over again, I'd do the same thing. But, if I bought another jeep now that I've learned a lot (in large part to this place), I'd buy a used Sport for as cheap as possible with low miles and the 3.6L engine and modify the crap out of that thing.

You waited to modify your jeep when it was paid off? Why not wheel it while making payments? Yeah theirs a risk of damaging it. But everyday driving it theirs a risk.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Sell your Jeep and buy someone’s already EVO built JK for $40k less than what they put into it. There are some great deals on JKs where people put we’ll over a $100k into the Jeep and will now sell it in the $60 range. I believe someone is selling their EVO built JK in the for sale section here.

Bingo! Makes the most sense financially , although you miss the fun of building it up yourself.

mackey

Bingo! Makes the most sense financially , although you miss the fun of building it up yourself.

Most people send their build to a shop and wait 6 weeks. I did and also spent a ton of money. About 2 months later I saw almost my same build on a Jeep for sale. I could have saved a ton of money buying an already built and barely used Jeep. Patience could have saved me the money to buy a LS :)

el_chupo_

Did I miss what your goals were for your Jeep, all finished?

Are we talking the "need" for coilovers, tons and 40s, etc?

Or are we talking mostly fire-roads, some rocks, and a good looking jeep?

If it is B (and if its your daily/only vehicle, think really hard about wheeling enough to justify the first option without a second vehicle...), then the Trail Leader axle set, and an Enforcer kit with a drag link flip and some Rancho 9000s have you sitting under $10k in parts. Then you have everything you need to run 35s or 37s without much to worry about.

And I certainly would not be putting in an Atlas until you know you need it from your own experiences. or maybe more practically, spend 1/3 the cost on a rubi take-off.

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Dynatrac Trail Leader package. Front ProRock 44 with locker and rear locker and stronger shafts:

https://www.dynatrac.com/trail-leader-axle-package.html

Best advice here...for your use...

^^^^That, from what I gather from your original post. If you like the current Jeep, aside from lockers. If you told me you had a 2 door, but wanted a 4 door for your reason, or vice versa, I’d say spring for the Rubicon.

Jeepfan30

I've been tempted to trade-in my built 2014 JKUS for a Recon. But, after spending $45k on the Recon I would still need bigger tires and a small lift MINIMUM to be happy. Some of my 2014 parts can be salvaged, but not the gears, Truetracs, driveshafts, rear chromoly shafts, flat fenders, lift. Hard to justify giving up what I have built already, probably just wait and get a JLU Rubicon in a couple years.

Top Bottom