JL Wrangler 2.0L Hurricane Turbo Mild Hybrid : 48-Volt Lithium Ion Battery

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As some of you may know, the 2.0L Hurricane Turbo that comes on the all new Jeep JL Wrangler is considered to be a "mild hybrid" motor. In other words, it not only runs of gasoline, it also has a 48-Volt Lithium Ion Battery that it works off of too... kinda like a Prius. For those of you who haven't seen it, here's a shot of where the battery is located - basically, it sits about where the EVAP canister used to be mounted on a JK.

20171213115801-395a7e20.jpg

I have a feeling Rock Hard 4x4 will be making a lot of money selling skids for this especially being that it'll probably be pretty hard to relocate it.

What do you guys think of it?

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Wondering if there would be a way to use that 48 volts for something else, like a trail welder.

Amrth

Nicee.. That's a news for today!

Kind of curious why wouldn't OEM have better protection for it..

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
As some of you may know, the 2.0L Hurricane Turbo that comes on the all new Jeep JL Wrangler is considered to be a "mild hybrid" motor. In other words, it not only runs of gasoline, it also has a 48-Volt Lithium Ion Battery that it works off of too... kinda like a Prius. For those of you who haven't seen it, here's a shot of where the battery is located - basically, it sits about where the EVAP canister used to be mounted on a JK.

I have a feeling Rock Hard 4x4 will be making a lot of money selling skids for this especially being that it'll probably be pretty hard to relocate it.

Seems like an odd location for it from an off-road standpoint. I wonder if the jeep would run if it got knocked off somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sahara_Maverick

Seems like an odd location for it from an off-road standpoint. I wonder if the jeep would run if it got knocked off somehow.

Considering how Lithium batteries are very sensitive to punctures and hard impacts that break their linings, it's better be very well armored for the folks taking those Jeeps to the trails. I guess everyone remembers them bursting in flames in airports and if I am not mistaken Tesla also had some flaming problems in accidents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mcollins443

I would also worry about it getting wet when crossing through water. I’m sure it’s fine with being sprayed from wet roads but it might not handle being submerged very well.

RCVRY

Considering how Lithium batteries are very sensitive to punctures and hard impacts that break their linings, it's better be very well armored for the folks taking those Jeeps to the trails. I guess everyone remembers them bursting in flames in airports and if I am not mistaken Tesla also had some flaming problems in accidents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app
In which case it would become a seat warmer.

Sent from my SM-G930T using WAYALIFE mobile app

mrob907

I have some issues about the turbo providing very good off road performance anyway being that most turbos require you be at higher RPMs before they kick in, I wouldn't think anybody buying this engine is going to be running large tires because the majority of their on road travel will be pretty power sapped in that lower RPM range. That being said I also doubt they will be going off-road much.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Gunslinger

From what I understand the alternator/starter will provide additional torque to the drivetrain when pulling away from a stop. Instant torque on demand assisting the engine until it builds some rpm. I see battery mods in the future.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From what I understand the alternator/starter will provide additional torque to the drivetrain when pulling away from a stop. Instant torque on demand assisting the engine until it builds some rpm. I see battery mods in the future.

This was just posted on JLWRANGLER.com by someone who knows this system well...

"The way the system works is it replaces the alternator with a motor generator unit. It is a large genset connected directly to the crank pulley with a large belt. It either acts as a motor to provide additional crankshaft hp (if battery is charged) or runs off the crank to charge the battery during regen braking, coast down etc. Another large benefit is it can provide additional torque in cases where needed. Think about say while a turbocharged engine is building boost, the etorque system can provide the extra torque to the crank until engine reaches peak. All seemlessly. It works quite well, even offroad."

— 13_gecko_rubi

Top Bottom