ATX beadlocks- scotch brite or sanding to knock down the "shine"?

zimm

Caught the Bug
So in my infinite wisdom, I clear coated the bead locks before install. Now months later, they're still very shiny in the places that don't have rock rash. I'm thinking about scotch brite pads, or maybe even a sanding disc on a palm sander to knock off the clear coat and try to get them to a dull, raw finish so they're not so "blingy". I'm not even sure if scotch brite will cut through rustoluem clear coat. Anyone try it before I go mess them up?

Ddays

Hooked
If you take a sanding disc or scotch brite pad to those rings you'll probably have a mess on your hands. They don't have a smooth finish, rather its still got grooves from the machining. Unless you sand those off as well you won't get a uniform surface: you may end up with sand marks everywhere. Of course, they're aluminum so it really shouldn't be too hard to sand them all the way smooth if that's ultimately what you're after. You could also use a commercial stripper safe for aluminum on the clearcoat. That will also leave the finish a duller color as the stripper will oxidize it.

Personally I like the finish and would leave it alone but I get it when something doesn't look good in your own eyes. Good luck!

TrailHunter

Hooked

I say a chemical stripper, polish, then let dull naturally (my favorite look). But I would call a local powder coat company and get their opinion.

zimm

Caught the Bug
There are no rocks in Miami. Sounds like I'll leave it as is. Not hitting Moab again until August.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So in my infinite wisdom, I clear coated the bead locks before install. Now months later, they're still very shiny in the places that don't have rock rash. I'm thinking about scotch brite pads, or maybe even a sanding disc on a palm sander to knock off the clear coat and try to get them to a dull, raw finish so they're not so "blingy". I'm not even sure if scotch brite will cut through rustoluem clear coat. Anyone try it before I go mess them up?

LOL!! Time and a little use will take care of it. :yup:

20180102191924-7a9c1736-me.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Thanks for the motivation Eddie. I'll have to find some more rocks. There's only low curbs around here.

If you have any sand you can play in especially if it's coarse sand, playing hard in it - like hard turns where you're roostering the stuff will dull your shine as well. That and clean your tires like no chemical could ever hope to too. :crazyeyes:

maskale

there are different grades of scotchbright. If you use the corse stuff it will leave marks behind. But you could use the tan, then maroon and finish up with the gray and maybe green. Steel wool will also work, they have different grades of that as well, the smaller the numbers or more zeros the finner it is. Like 0000 is very fine.

Top Bottom