The creation of "Sweet Jane"

WanderlustSW

Hi, before I start ordering parts I thought I would run my ideas through the forum first.
Let my start by saying that my planned use is as a platform for exploration of the Southwest and Rocky mountain region of the country. I will use my Jeep to get me and my family to rivers to go rafting, to trails for mountain biking, to pull a small trailer to go camping, and of course to run trails including Colorado passes and Moab trails.
Jane is a 2017 JKU Rubicon, manual transmission with 4.10 gears.

1st I'm planing on adding bumpers and winch

Front bumper - JCR Crusader with skid plate

Winch - Smittybuilt x20 10k with synthetic line

Rear bumper - JCR Vanguard or Crusader, I'm thinking full width to better protect the corners, and to stand on to better access the roof rack.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
By "running your ideas through the forum first", I can only assume that you're wanting our "opinions" as to what you're wanting to buy? If so, is there a reason why you're wanting the brands that you've listed? Or, was it just a matter of them being cheap?

WanderlustSW

I am interested in feedback from people who have used them. I am not on an unlimited budget but willing to pay for quality. I would like to do it right the 1st time.

I've seen these bumpers, and the quality looked good to me, but that was a quick look.

As for the winch I'm looking for advice on a product that hopefully will never be used, but is on hand when needed. Of course I don't plan on getting stuck, but I have before and managed to extricate myself with hi lift, come along and shovel.

Constructive criticism and advise is welcomed!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am interested in feedback from people who have used them. I am not on an unlimited budget but willing to pay for quality. I would like to do it right the 1st time.

I've seen these bumpers, and the quality looked good to me, but that was a quick look.

As for the winch I'm looking for advice on a product that hopefully will never be used, but is on hand when needed. Of course I don't plan on getting stuck, but I have before and managed to extricate myself with hi lift, come along and shovel.

Personally, I would look at other bumpers if only for the reason stated above.

As far as winches go, I tend to look at them as being a piece of safety equipment like a parachute. While most cheap Chinese winches will most likely work, I have seen plenty that have failed when they were needed most. It's all about quality control and in places like China, there isn't much of that. For me, I'd rather put my money into something I know is made with a high level of quality control and that would be a WARN. An M8000 can be had for almost the same price as a cheaper China winch and in my experience, it or any of the premium USA made WARN's will always take care of you when you need it most.

WJCO

Meme King
As for the winch I'm looking for advice on a product that hopefully will never be used, but is on hand when needed. Of course I don't plan on getting stuck......

Warn: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...-quot-Top-end-quot-Smittybilt-winch-questions

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What bumpers would you recommend? I'm interested in a mid width bumper that the winch is recessed inside.

Well, for one, LoD makes a really nice mid-width bumper. I've run it in the past and thought it was well made.

ssm1008_pic_1_small.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For a 4 door? Yea it should be enough. Ideally tho you would like to have double the pulling power of the weight of the vehicle so a 10k winch would be better if possible

Correct, weight of a vehicle x2 is typically the rule. That being said, Moby weighs in at almost 7,000 lbs. and that would mean I should be running a 14k winch. Seems like we've done just fine with a 9.5 but then, we're just mall crawlers :yup:

WanderlustSW

Thanks everyone!
The LOD bumpers look really nice and they're cheaper than the JCR!
What is the difference in the warn winches between the Zeon the VR and the M series?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks everyone!
The LOD bumpers look really nice and they're cheaper than the JCR!
What is the difference in the warn winches between the Zeon the VR and the M series?

Honestly, I think you will really like the LoD bumper. If you ever get a chance to see it in person vs. a JCR, there is no comparison in quality.

Zeon and M series are WARN's premium line of winches and they are made in the USA. VR is their China line.

WJCO

Meme King
It looks like for $200 more it might be worth it to go to the Xeon 10 s over the M 8000. Does this make sense?

They're both winches that have proven themselves, but for 200 more, I would get the Zeon10s. You get more pulling capacity and a really nice looking winch too.

GraniteCrystal

I've run JCR mid-width crusader. See pics in build thread if interested.

I sold it a few months back and now run a LoD Destroyer stubby. I like it more.

Top Bottom