Plasti Dip Wheels?

Tabers

Hey guys ... I have a Dark Green JK Unlimited Sahara and really like the look of the stock 18"s but the only thing i dont like is that they are crome.... i have seen and heard of guys Plasti Dipping their wheels to make them look black but how does it hold up? I do some minor trail riding and dont like the clay mud here in TN ... I want to save the cash of other mods then just wheels, IMO it seems like a waste on a mainly stock JK with a 2.5" lift... What are you all's thoughts... Be Blunt and honest!

Thansk again from a new member!

Tabers

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have mine plasti dipped and even with hitting them on some rocks its held up well for about 8 months.

main.php

JAGS

Hooked
I have mine plasti dipped and even with hitting them on some rocks its held up well for about 8 months.

main.php

Minor hijack: Overlander, you disco'd in that pic......i don't think so but that is some pretty good flex. I've yet to get a picture flexed out of a stock rubi or x for that matter.

As for plastidipp'n, I dipped my hinges about a month after I got the jeep. That was 7 months ago and hold up great to weather, mud, dirt, power washings, etc. I did my spare a couple month back and really liked it. Took it off though until I'm ready to do all five, but wanted to see how it would look. There are a couple threads on here and people have had pretty good luck with PD.

muddin.jpg

Tabers

Overlanderjk - how many coats did you do with the plasti dip.... i hear 4 is pretty good?... What brand rock rails did you go with?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Overlanderjk - how many coats did you do with the plasti dip.... i hear 4 is pretty good?... What brand rock rails did you go with?

I did one heavy coat because I am lazy and didn't feel like doing more. Came out good enough for me.

Just got rubi rails.

StrizzyChris

Im with overlander! Plastidipping wheels is super easy and hold up great EXCEPT direct impact from something that could scratch/etch the wheel itself. It then will pull or tear and require "re-dipping".

I had only minor wear on mine and i just sprayed over the flaw. It didn't look perfect up close, but im lazy and it was simple! The only thing I wouldn't use plastidip for are large surfaces that are clearly visible. Any damage to it and ull have to pull the whole thing off and redo it all over again, which sucks!

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I actually even did the rockers and bumpers on my old f150 to see if I really wanted to paint them black. Held up well for a few months before I traded it in. And SoCal roads suck for rocks chips!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361818914.564413.jpg

I've hit rocks with my wheels to and it just scratches off the plastidip and some of the wheel.

I just took this pic a second ago.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361819050.637352.jpg

zip04

I went a little more permanent because I knew I wanted to stick with the black wheels. It was very simple. I went to Home Depot and bought Rustoleum spray on bed liner, spray primer, and a spray degreaser/cleaner, some high grit sand paper, and then I went to the dollar store and picked up two packs of playing cards.

I took two tires off at a time (3 when I did the spare), sanded, sprayed with the cleaner and whiped it down a couple of times, and then primed it (with the playing cards stuck in around the sides to prevent paint from getting on the tire itself). After the primer dried, I cleaned it again, and then painted it with the spray on bed liner. It has held up great.

zip04

Here is a pic showing the use of the cards:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361821055.656177.jpg

And this is about 6 months later and after wheelin:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361821201.618929.jpg

StrizzyChris

I actually even did the rockers and bumpers on my old f150 to see if I really wanted to paint them black. Held up well for a few months before I traded it in. And SoCal roads suck for rocks chips!

I just took this pic a second ago.

View attachment 17197

That's exactly how my wheels would look. Simple enough to just touch up.

Oh and i also did my grill to protect against the above mentioned SoCal pebbles from all of those jack a$$, mother €^©£!π©, sons of $!+©π dump trucks that run without covers!

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

Tabers

Thanks guys ...I know for sure i want the black wheels look since my jeep is dark green ... i think i will try the plasti dip since its cheap ... if it doesnt hold up well then ill try the bed liner ... Thanks again guys!
Ill post pics when i get them done in a week or two ...
Tabers

j.house013

I used the high heat engine paint, satin black (seems to hold up better against the elements) and adhesion promoter. It's been a year now! No chips. Some minor scratches from narrow trails but I'm very very happy!

JKBANDIT55

I have Plasti Dipped my wheels twice. The first time I did about 4 coats and it help up good for a while. After a summer of wheeling, I noticed some of my wheels got scratched pretty bad and left some scrapes and gouges in the wheels that started making the plasti dip peel off. so a few weeks ago All i did was peel the plasti dip off and re paint them with plasti dip again.

After hitting 2 trails so far with the new paint they still look new. I say do it!

Heres what they looked like the very first time I painted them
IMG_20120413_161944.jpg

In this pic you can see the front wheel where the paint scrapped off.
8F0C0169-071D-4BDD-976A-A6E9C5F43598-2445-00000140BE2DC591.jpg

RuffneckTwoZero

Yesterday I used bed liner to do mine. I just wanted the textured look. I read this thread the other day and used the playing card tip and it works really well.

I did plasti dip my hood for a hood decal though. It was my first time using it and it's very easy to work with I recommend it.

12345.jpg

Top Bottom