Lift Advice

jksmith93

I am planning in the near future to lift my 2012 JKU. I've done a good bit of research but I'm searching for a few more opinions. Backstory: Ive got a Teraflex coil spring spacer lift/leveling kit currently on my Jeep, with 2" worth of pucks up front and 1" out back if i recall correctly. I'm wanting to redo/add to my lift with new coils and shocks, etc. I know you all like your brands but I'm not here for a lecture on what parts to use, I'm on a budget so I'm going to go with a Rough Country lift. I plan on getting a Rough Country 2.5" lift with the 2.2 shocks. This kit comes with all four new shocks and four lift coils. However, there is a 3.25" lift that comes with what seems to me to be the same exact coils and shocks adding in some coil spacers to tack on the extra lift. I'm planning on leaving in my rear spacer puck from my Teraflex kit, and leaving one of the 1" pucks up front to basically add to the 2.5 kit, what they seem to be selling me with the 3.25. Am I making correct assumptions here thinking that this will work? I've sought advice with a local off road shop and the owner, who is very well versed, seems to believe this can be done without much issue by his shop, however, like i said I'm on a budget so I'd be doing all the real work, minus the alignment myself. Also, in regards to the small metal track bar bracket pictured in the 3.25 kit, I can do mild to advanced metal fabrication on my own so I'm thinking something could be mocked up custom, along with the brake line brackets.

Sorry for the lengthy post.
Also, I'm running 33" tires if that's a question.

Teraflex leveling kit (currently installed):http://www.quadratec.com/products/1...oglemerchant&gclid=CI7r69Ou2LUCFQ2nnQod1kkA5A

Rough Country 2.5 lift: http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_2perf.php

Rough Country 3.25 lift:http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_3.html

Last edited:

JKBANDIT55

Hello Buddy:standing wave:

I am currently running the Rough Country 2.5" coil lift. I know its on the cheaper side, but it hasn't let me down. The ride is like stock, great flex, and it performs great off road. I've had it for about a year now and have wheeled 2-3 times a month and haven't had one issue.

I dont know how much research you have done but, on a 2012 Jeep, Anything higher than 3", your going to need either an exhaust spacer to clear the drive shaft boot when flexing, or a new thiner drive shaft. Also, track bars, longer end links in the rear and extended brake lines are a must when lifting 3+ inches. And the RC lifts dont come with all these extras.

Just a thought.

BlackRockBurner

Exhaust spacer, bump stops, longer sway bar links, & fabbed brake line extensions needed. Possible front drive shaft, front track bar, and some form of front castor correction (lower control arms/ drop bracket) should also be considered. Not every lift/ jeep needs these items, but the higher you go, the chances are increased of adding these items to correct the geometry.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, you can make all that work and get you what you're wanting but, I do hope you know you WILL need to address your front drive shaft being that you have a 2012. Also, the kit you're looking doesn't come with any adjustable front lower control arms. With as much lift as you will have, you will want to address your caster if you hope to maintain a good on pavement highway ride. Also, the shocks that come with the kit are just old school hydro shocks and really, their performance is sub-standard to factory shocks. I might recommend that you upgrade those to a set of basic monotubes like the Rancho 7000 or Bilstein 5100. Of course, you already know to get an adjustable front and rear track bar but, at that height, you should also be looking at longer rear brake lines as well.

jksmith93

JKBANDIT, do you have any pictures of your setup, shots from the side or wheeling shots, (assuming you're running 33" tires) so I can get an idea of the look?

Am I reading correctly that in the general consensus here that I'm better off, or rather, going to be in my wallet less by just sticking with the 2.5 lift for now, and maybe going back under the Jeep a little down the road to get some more lift when I can address the driveshaft and other 3"+ lift technicalities...?

2.5 is a really good lift height. im running 2.5 in the front and 2 in the rear with 35s and cant be happier. well i could but my wallet would be thinner which makes the wife :tantrum: which makes me :bummed: cause she wont stop :chatterbox:

jksmith93

2.5 is a really good lift height. im running 2.5 in the front and 2 in the rear with 35s and cant be happier. well i could but my wallet would be thinner which makes the wife :tantrum: which makes me :bummed: cause she wont stop :chatterbox:

I'll probably just go with the 2.5... I just got the lift bug and the only word I can say is HIGHER HIGHER HIGHER

JKBANDIT55

JKBANDIT, do you have any pictures of your setup, shots from the side or wheeling shots, (assuming you're running 33" tires) so I can get an idea of the look?

Am I reading correctly that in the general consensus here that I'm better off, or rather, going to be in my wallet less by just sticking with the 2.5 lift for now, and maybe going back under the Jeep a little down the road to get some more lift when I can address the driveshaft and other 3"+ lift technicalities...?

I have some pics. Although I am on 35s right now. I have a few with the stock Rubicon M/Ts.

Here is my lift with 35s. I do get some small rubbing when flexed so eventually Im going to throw some 1" coil spacers on it. Or I might get a stubby front bumper and trim the fenders. I like this set up. It will get you through a lot!

Mine is the silver parked next to a JK on 40s.
E1953DE5-131C-43FF-BBAA-62354AE6DD33-2992-000001B3D649F73A_zps6af4a16d.jpg

0860B144-D5EF-4703-9EED-E4C641552161-7529-000005BF4B6B4DFC_zpsc9b202b5.jpg

Here are some pics of the lift with the stock rubicon M/Ts

8F0C0169-071D-4BDD-976A-A6E9C5F43598-2445-00000140BE2DC591.jpg

EFEDFC2B-D29B-406B-8F7B-963958C90102-6017-0000064C82DB840B.jpg

Next to a stock rubicon

2f9a494b.jpg

jksmith93

I have some pics. Although I am on 35s right now. I have a few with the stock Rubicon M/Ts.

Here is my lift with 35s. I do get some small rubbing when flexed so eventually Im going to throw some 1" coil spacers on it. Or I might get a stubby front bumper and trim the fenders. I like this set up. It will get you through a lot!

thanks!

jksmith93

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention he's selling it for $250, I'm assuming its used, but only for a short period of time.

Tackerdown

Banned
Here's mine w/ 3.5 Rough Country lift. Bilstien shocks, and 3/4" spacer in the rear.

2013-02-24_09-53-46_869_zps0a8c84c5.jpg

JKFebRauschCreek_zps7a2976b6.jpg
End of the day time to air up ehh. Did they come out and ask for a donation when you aired up. I was wondering if they do that regularly or did someone need some pocket change?

jksmith93

Ended up going with the RC 2.5 and doing a fender chop while I was at it. Bedlined the rear tub, the wells and fabbing up a custom rear bumper later this week along with making up a tag bracket for the spare tire mount, maybe some quick discos if time allows. What do you guys think, got everything all aligned today, feels great on the road! Also, where can I find the plug for the hole that will be left from removing the tag bracket? The "tag delete plug"

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1363145904.123316.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1363145942.686058.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1363145978.457309.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1363146030.938819.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1363146128.355981.jpg

MTG

Caught the Bug
Ended up going with the RC 2.5 and doing a fender chop while I was at it. Bedlined the rear tub, the wells and fabbing up a custom rear bumper later this week along with making up a tag bracket for the spare tire mount, maybe some quick discos if time allows. What do you guys think, got everything all aligned today, feels great on the road! Also, where can I find the plug for the hole that will be left from removing the tag bracket? The "tag delete plug"

Looks great! 👍

What's a deleted tag?

Top Bottom