Wheel stud issue

desertrunner

So I was trying to take off my spacers tonight so I could get my rear rotors off and one of the spacers lugs will not come off..... when I try to loosen it goes from tight to really loose and back to tight but will not back off the stud it just keeps spinning.

Any ideas on how the fuck I'm supposed to get this off now? And what I might have done to the stud?

20180724_220301.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
So I was trying to take off my spacers tonight so I could get my rear rotors off and one of the spacers lugs will not come off..... when I try to loosen it goes from tight to really loose and back to tight but will not back off the stud it just keeps spinning.

Any ideas on how the fuck I'm supposed to get this off now? And what I might have done to the stud?

Is the Stud Spinning?

desertrunner

Is the Stud Spinning?
I cant tell, the only way I can get to that nut is with a socket so I cant see if the wheel stud is spinning. My next thought was to pull the axle shaft which will have to come off with the spacer and rotor attached and see if I can see the back of the stud. If the wheel stud is spinning (which I imagine is the case) still not too sure how the hell I'm gonna get that nut off

TrailHunter

Hooked
I cant tell, the only way I can get to that nut is with a socket so I cant see if the wheel stud is spinning. My next thought was to pull the axle shaft which will have to come off with the spacer and rotor attached and see if I can see the back of the stud. If the wheel stud is spinning (which I imagine is the case) still not too sure how the hell I'm gonna get that nut off

Or just mark the end of the stud with a pencil...

jesse3638

Hooked
I think one of two things is happening. 1-The stud is spinning like you think, 2-That section of threads is stripped and the nut is spinning in place.

Can you get a pry bar or screw driver behind the spacer to put outward pressure on it while you try to loosen it? If that doesn't work you should be able to take the caliper off the caliper bracket and pull the whole axle like you suggested. You'll have to grind the back of the stud off and drive it through then replace the stud and lugnut.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Thank you guys for the quick response I was pretty frustrated last night. So first thing I'm gonna do is mark the stud and see if its spinning.

The spacer is still pretty tight to the rotor so im really not sure that I can anything in between there to pry some force on there. What ever happened must have happened right on the initial loosening torque.

If the stud is spinning I imagine I'm going to have to pull the shaft with everything attached and see if I can get to the back of the stud, maybe try and get some vice grips on it or try and cut off the back of the stud.

Either way this is going to be a painful process all because i wanted to adjust my damn E brake

desertrunner

My next thought is though if it is spinning hopefully I didnt damage the hole its pressed into. If I need to press a new stud into a damaged hole it may just spin like the old on. Welding it maybe be a necessity

desertrunner

Ok I did confirm in fact that the stud is spinning. I'm still going to try and get something behind the spacer to pry some force on there and see if it's enough to hold the stud (I don't imagine I'll be able to do either). Next step will be to pull the shaft and see if I can get to the back of the stud

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Smear a little silicon on that seal prior to re installing, and be real careful not to pinch the lip. They expand on initial install and can easily get messed up causing a leak if re-used.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

like mentioned before.... couldn't you just tack weld it?
If I had a welder I'd have definitely done that already.

Question is, if I tac weld it can I just leave that stud in and call it day? Or would I then have to grind the weld off to pop the stud out and replace it anyhow? Because if that's the case I might as well just cut the head off now if I have to replace it anyways

TrailHunter

Hooked
If I had a welder I'd have definitely done that already.

Question is, if I tac weld it can I just leave that stud in and call it day? Or would I then have to grind the weld off to pop the stud out and replace it anyhow? Because if that's the case I might as well just cut the head off now if I have to replace it anyways

Got it.... Yeah, just remove and replace then... hopefully the hole isn't messed up and just the stud is stripped... otherwise you may have to tac it anyway.. good luck man. Hope it goes smoothly.

Top Bottom