Wheel stud issue

desertrunner

So here is my question before I start cutting.
If I cut the back of the head off and push it through the front can I press a new stud in and not be worried about it spinning again? Or am I going to fuck up that hole in the axle shaft flange?

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
So here is my question before I start cutting.
If I cut the back of the head off and push it through the front can I press a new stud in and not be worried about it spinning again? Or am I going to fuck up that hole in the axle shaft flange?

The hole may be oversized now. Why not just a tack weld?

desertrunner

The hole may be oversized now. Why not just a tack weld?
I think I'm gonna call dynatrac tomorrow and just see if they know the material strength difference to see if it's pretty much guaranteed that I fucked the hole up.

And mostly because i need to find someone with a welder Haha

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Chances are good that the hole is already damaged from the spinning. If it hasn't spun then there will be no problem pressing a new one in. If it has then finding someone to give it a quick tack weld will be plenty safe.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Chances are good that the hole is already damaged from the spinning. If it hasn't spun then there will be no problem pressing a new one in. If it has then finding someone to give it a quick tack weld will be plenty safe.

Oh yeah its definitely spinning and pretty easy at this point, so if that hole is already fucked up I'm gonna have to weld it or get an entirely new axle shaft. Before I do anything I do want to give dynatrac a call and see if they have any insight.
If I just weld it I'm always gonna be worried about that damn stud and after spending all that $ that sucks

fiend

Caught the Bug
Sure wish dynatrac made the back of their wheel studs with a hex head instead of round... then I at least would be able to get the lug nut off pretty quick

Go to harbor freight and get a 100 dollar mig welder. Watch a few u tube videos, practice a little, and tack weld it. Easy peasy.

desertrunner

Go to harbor freight and get a 100 dollar mig welder. Watch a few u tube videos, practice a little, and tack weld it. Easy peasy.
I do know how to weld I just don't have access to the equipment I used to use but I'm sure someone at my work has one I can toss a quick tack on.
More of my point is if I tack weld it how strong is that really gonna be? Enough to hold it so I don't have to replace the stud?
I didnt throw a bunch of money into my jeep to hope a tack weld holds ya know?

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
That stud has been compromised and I would replace it regardless of if you can get the lug nut off. If pressing the new stud in provides good results then great. If not, tack the new stud in and forget about it. The tack is just taking place of the interference fit stud. If you don't like that route then buy a new shaft and keep this as a spare, or have the shaft stud hole filled and re drilled by a machine shop.

desertrunner

Ok so found someone at work with a welder that I can tac it to get it out. Dynatrac did say that they don't reccomend having to tac the new one if the hole is walloed out but I wouldn't really have an option if the hole is jacked up other than buy a new shaft. Which I wonder if they would replace it under warranty considering these shafts don't even have 500 miles on them

WJCO

Meme King
Ok so found someone at work with a welder that I can tac it to get it out. Dynatrac did say that they don't reccomend having to tac the new one if the hole is walloed out but I wouldn't really have an option if the hole is jacked up other than buy a new shaft. Which I wonder if they would replace it under warranty considering these shafts don't even have 500 miles on them

I would definitely try to warranty them if they have that low of mileage on them.

jesse3638

Hooked
I would definitely try to warranty them if they have that low of mileage on them.

^^^This First^^^

If they won't warranty it what about putting 4 tacks (1/4 spacing) into the empty hole then press the stud in? That would make it tight just not sure if it would cause the stud to be come misaligned in the bold pattern. If that works then you could tack the stud in for additional piece pf mind.

Bierpower

Hooked
Pull the old one out and check a new stud in the hole before you start getting too worried. Axle shafts are generally made of harder steel than wheel studs and take quite a bit to deform. Unless you had this free spinning with an impact making a bunch heat in there the axle is probably fine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

So we tacked the stud got the lug nut off and pressed out the stud. The splines on the stud are obviously stripped, the hole on the axle shaft looks un damaged. Dynatrac is sending me a new stud looks like I'll be good to go.
Guess ill use a little less locktite on this next round of spacer instal.

20180730_204500.jpg

20180730_204603.jpg

20180730_204608.jpg

Gotta love it when a 15 minute job turns into a week long headache. lol

Glad it all worked out!

Now what did we learn here? Never hammer on lug nuts with an impact, spacers suck, everyone needs a welder, axels>studs relax.

desertrunner

Glad it all worked out!

Now what did we learn here? Never hammer on lug nuts with an impact, spacers suck, everyone needs a welder, axels>studs relax.
Right! All I wanted to do was adjust my E brake Haha
For the record I did not tighten the spacers with an impact just tried to take them off with my impact when it spun.

Agreed that spacers suck I really wish I didnt have to run them but spacers are cheaper than new wheels...

And yes i really wish i had a welder and this is by far not the first time... might be time to invest

jesse3638

Hooked

Glad it all worked out!

Sounds like any job I do, especially plumbing..haha.

Highway trout forgot to mention one thing, beer.

Glad it worked out and sounds like you'll back on the road without much expense other than time and patience.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Sounds like any job I do, especially plumbing..haha.

Highway trout forgot to mention one thing, beer.

Glad it worked out and sounds like you'll back on the road without much expense other than time and patience.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app
Its shit like this that is exactly why my 2nd JK is not my daily driver. I ran into stuff like this too many times with my last one and it was awkward bumming rides to work because I couldn't finish what I started right away.

And yeah even though it's a pain in the ass it's just more experience and knowledge under my belt.

I did get a little nervous though considering I leave for moab in 20 days and have been swamped at work but it's looking like I'll be good to go

Top Bottom