PDA

View Full Version : C gusset questions

SoCalDozer
03-07-2013, 03:55 PM
I am doing c gussets here soon since I'm rocking the d30 and I do love to go fast in the desert but just want to know How much the install cost runs about? I can't find them on the offroad warehouse website so I assume they don't carry them. Will call soon to clarify.
I know ore would do them but I would like to get it done in San Diego

OverlanderJK
03-07-2013, 03:59 PM
I think ORW is like $500 for parts and install. EVO is $300 I think to install them and $60 for the gussets.

wayoflife
03-07-2013, 04:07 PM
I think ORW is like $500 for parts and install. EVO is $300 I think to install them and $60 for the gussets.

Yup, what he said.

MTG
03-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Find a buddy with a welder, buy some food/beer. :thumb:

xflstl
03-07-2013, 06:13 PM
I am doing c gussets here soon since I'm rocking the d30 and I do love to go fast in the desert but just want to know How much the install cost runs about? I can't find them on the offroad warehouse website so I assume they don't carry them. Will call soon to clarify.

just my opinion but the following setup works great, no weld sleeve's, weld on upper and lower gusset's, weld on front lower control arm skids.

http://www.justdifferentials.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4166

If you call and order this from them tell them you want the entire kit, as the link i provided is for the sleeve's only.... I think the entire kit runs around 160-185ish... here are about 6 or so people running this setup in my area's local club. Have yet to hear of a problem or complaint, other than they can be a bugger to put in. I put mine in , took me about 1hr, then had a buddy weld the gussets and c-arm skids on. took a total of two hours, and a 12 pack of beer.... If you dont remove your ball joints during the welding, be dang careful not to melt them :-)

TacPen
03-07-2013, 06:13 PM
I got it done locally in Phoenix by Desert Rat (TF sleeves and EVO gussets) and it was $260 parts and labor.

SoCalDozer
03-07-2013, 06:21 PM

dang more than what I was expecting for labor.
Guess i will be finding a buddy with a welder who likes beer lol

OverlanderJK
03-07-2013, 06:52 PM
dang more than what I was expecting for labor.
Guess i will be finding a buddy with a welder who likes beer lol

It's not that easy. If you don't know what your doing you can fry your ball joints and then it will be more expensive.

SoCalDozer
03-07-2013, 06:55 PM
It's not that easy. If you don't know what your doing you can fry your ball joints and then it will be more expensive.

I read up on it awhile back, I just done have a welder.
Just have to go slow when you do it and cool it off with a wet rag every 1" or so you weld that way you dont fry the ball joints

gtony12
03-07-2013, 07:17 PM
yup, what he said.
evo quoted me $300

Hellfire
03-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Can you remove your ball joints and re-install the them? ( the originals )

SoCalDozer
03-07-2013, 10:15 PM
need a ball joint press tool and im not sure if the originals are reusable

Skid_Kid
03-07-2013, 10:51 PM

I have a guy here in Wildomar that does them for $100. Just got mine in the other day and looking to get them welded in soon.

SoCalDozer
03-07-2013, 11:40 PM
I have a guy here in Wildomar that does them for $100. Just got mine in the other day and looking to get them welded in soon.

I would drive up there for that if he does them all the time. im guessing he does it on the side?

Skid_Kid
03-07-2013, 11:44 PM
He has a nice shop. Did my sliders for me. He is installing my wife's EVO rock skins next weekend. Here is a link to his site www.roughneckoffroad.com.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SoCalDozer
03-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Also one more thing since im only running 33's would just gussets be good? or do I need sleeves to? figured the c's were the main weak point

paychex.308
03-08-2013, 12:08 AM
With 33s, running just gussets should be okay, but you can never have too much added protection. maybe some hammer in Nitro sleeves wouldnt hurt.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/shop/nitro-jk-2007-12-dana-30-44-front-axle-sleeve-kit and you can do them yourself.

OverlanderJK
03-08-2013, 12:10 AM
Make sure you look into sleeves an know that you can't run certain lockers with them before you buy them. Ask Moochie.

paychex.308
03-08-2013, 12:11 AM
Make sure you look into sleeves an know that you can't run certain lockers with them before you buy them. Ask Moochie.

Which are these? I had not heard there was an issue with certain sleeves and certain lockers... do tell kind sir

MTG
03-08-2013, 12:13 AM
Which are these? I had not heard there was an issue with certain sleeves and certain lockers... do tell kind sir

You can't run EVO sleeves and an ARB locker. Not sure about other brands of sleeves.

SoCalDozer
03-08-2013, 12:13 AM
the hammer in ones might not be to bad for me. and the locker thing doesnt matter because I dont want to lock the d30, I will wait til I eventually upgrade

paychex.308
03-08-2013, 12:15 AM
You can't run EVO sleeves and an ARB locker. Not sure about other brands of sleeves.

I did not know that. Good thing I am not locking my 30!!! That is good to know though for future reference. Thanks

MTG
03-08-2013, 12:23 AM
Also one more thing since im only running 33's would just gussets be good? or do I need sleeves to? figured the c's were the main weak point

I am not running sleeves on 37s and have no plans to do so. :thumb:

SoCalDozer
03-08-2013, 12:25 AM
just called and got a quote from an offroad shop here in el cajun that I was referred to and its 180 for Evo gussets with tax, parts. and install.
he also suggested the sleeves and said labor on those run about 320.

Moochie
03-08-2013, 01:11 AM

An ARB front locker requires a 35 spline axle shaft. These won't fit in a sleeved Dana 44 Rubicon. EVO sleeve.

Hellfire
03-08-2013, 01:21 AM
need a ball joint press tool and im not sure if the originals are reusable

I'm not sure either. I have a ball joint press tool and evo c-gussets waiting for me in the garage. Just haven't had time to install them.

Gibbo
03-08-2013, 10:52 AM
An ARB front locker requires a 35 spline axle shaft. These won't fit in a sleeved Dana 44 Rubicon. EVO sleeve.
I'm running ARB lockers and want to upgrade the front axles in my D30 next, so I should be looking for 35 spline front axles, would that be correct? Its already got gussets.:)

heybob
03-08-2013, 12:12 PM
I removed my axel and the local fab shop did c gussets, control arm skids, and welded my stock axel caps for 130. If you have another vehicle and can remove the axel it helps to cut the cost. The pound in nitro sleeves are much easier than people complain about.

Also if you are replacing the ball joints the heat from welding makes the old ones pop out very easily. If your jeep is over a year old the stock ball joints will be a pain to remove.

xflstl
03-08-2013, 01:21 PM

Another nice thing about the pound in sleeve's, they accept 35 spine shafts.

hinrichs
03-08-2013, 02:13 PM
guy locally here told me it would be around 75-100 to install them, but i still think I may just tackle them myself since I have a welder and a friend who is very good to either watch me or just do it for me

JethroJK
03-18-2013, 11:36 PM
I haven't installed my 35s yet but with Dana 44s how long after I install can I wait until I put gussets on? Also sleeves. Did not put that into the budget.

TacPen
03-19-2013, 01:34 AM
I haven't installed my 35s yet but with Dana 44s how long after I install can I wait until I put gussets on? Also sleeves. Did not put that into the budget.

It's a cheap mod to prevent an expensive fix. If you're not going to wheel much you may not need it but why take the chance?

JethroJK
03-19-2013, 01:48 AM
It's a cheap mod to prevent an expensive fix. If you're not going to wheel much you may not need it but why take the chance?

True..true. Just curious how long I should wait and while waiting what are my limitations. I need to find a good welder and save some to pay since I just dumped everything I had into wheels, tires, skid system, and tire carrier.

Silverton34
03-19-2013, 05:51 PM
I installed the pound in Nitro sleeves in my new Rubicon. Never have I been through such a monumental pain in the kiester! The long sleeve went right in as this is a brand new Jeep with no debris in the axles. The short side went in half way and would not budge. We ended up building a steel tool to pound on and rented an electric jack hammer to get it in there within an inch of the right depth. Ended up cutting off the last inch. We ran that jack hammer for an hour to get it in that far, never again. Once you get started you can't go back.

paychex.308
03-19-2013, 05:54 PM
:eek: that does not sound like a good time at all. i wonder if the missing inch may cause an issue. i would think it wouldnt but .... did you call Nittro and ask them about it?

andrew -

OverlanderJK
03-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Yeah cutting an inch off of something that is a certain length for a reason doesn't sound like a good idea.:thinking:

Silverton34
03-19-2013, 06:20 PM
I had little choice at that point. An electric jack hammer laying horizontally across a creeper seat, a 265lb man with his back into the jack hammer and feet braced against the wall pushing for all he is worth with his legs, another guy operating the jack hammer switches and still the sleeve won't budge the last inch (maybe half inch) and we were done. The sleeve stopped moving using an eight pound sledge hammer when it was half way in. I am guessing there was a weld or something half way down that tube that caused the issue.

This was not one of my proudest moments. :grayno:

paychex.308
03-19-2013, 06:34 PM
does not in any way sound like a good time!

andrew -

MTG
03-19-2013, 06:49 PM
I had little choice at that point. An electric jack hammer laying horizontally across a creeper seat, a 265lb man with his back into the jack hammer and feet braced against the wall pushing for all he is worth with his legs, another guy operating the jack hammer switches and still the sleeve won't budge the last inch (maybe half inch) and we were done. The sleeve stopped moving using an eight pound sledge hammer when it was half way in. I am guessing there was a weld or something half way down that tube that caused the issue.

This was not one of my proudest moments. :grayno:

How about a little effort next time? :cheesy:

Off Road Evolution
03-19-2013, 07:16 PM
I installed the pound in Nitro sleeves in my new Rubicon. Never have I been through such a monumental pain in the kiester! The long sleeve went right in as this is a brand new Jeep with no debris in the axles. The short side went in half way and would not budge. We ended up building a steel tool to pound on and rented an electric jack hammer to get it in there within an inch of the right depth. Ended up cutting off the last inch. We ran that jack hammer for an hour to get it in that far, never again. Once you get started you can't go back.

Evo MFG has a fix for that

paychex.308
03-19-2013, 07:22 PM

In this case, how would you guys remove the pound in sleeves? if it was that hard to put in I cant image how hard it would be to remove... :thinking:

Silverton34
03-19-2013, 07:32 PM
I have a feeling the cure has the letter "D" in it and the number "60"

paychex.308
03-19-2013, 07:33 PM
OR maybe a "PR" and a "44" ...

OverlanderJK
03-19-2013, 07:34 PM
I have a feeling the cure has the letter "D" in it and the number "60"

I would imagine it has something to do with an EVO MFG Sleeve.;)

JethroJK
03-19-2013, 10:56 PM
I would imagine it has something to do with an EVO MFG Sleeve.;)

What is the installation process for EVO MFG Sleeves?

bl17z90
03-19-2013, 11:04 PM
Maybe i missedit. What was the c gusset question?

And after all i have heard about sleeves i am going the other directions and not looking back.

jk12blk
03-20-2013, 04:17 AM

btw, RCV endorsed you (EVO) the other day when I ordered shafts.
Since the sleeve ends are welded, that prevents a person from using the RCV tube seals, so RCV recommended EVO sleeves given EVO sleeves have integrated seals at the ends. works for me!

Philip *AZ*
03-20-2013, 04:57 AM
I'm running ARB lockers and want to upgrade the front axles in my D30 next, so I should be looking for 35 spline front axles, would that be correct? Its already got gussets.:)

ARB makes a locker for the 27 spline Dana 30. He was saying a sleeved D44 cannot be locked. This is possibly due to the diameter of the 35 spline shaft. Im going to do an outer truss and call it good. I could probably run an outer sleeve and a truss if I really want strength. My main concern is bending an axle tube. I doubt I will ever break a chromoly axle, but with a locker anything is possible right..

Paratroopers stay up longer!

10frank9
03-20-2013, 05:02 AM
What is the installation process for EVO MFG Sleeves?

You pull out your axle shafts and clean the tube then pound in the sleeves with a sledge. There are plenty of you tube videos on sleeve installations.

paychex.308
03-20-2013, 05:06 AM
the EVO .44 Mags are weld in and require a number of holes drilled in the tubes and then plug welded once the sleeve is slid in. if i am not mistaken, the Nittro are the only sleeves that are not welded at all...

andrew -

DallasJKU
03-23-2013, 11:53 AM
I'm having my Pure Jeep C's welded on next Friday for $75. Its just a little piece of mind and I trust the guy doing it.

DallasJKU
03-30-2013, 02:31 AM
Done!