PDA

View Full Version : Why are coilovers better?

JK&Beyond
03-08-2013, 06:59 PM
I guess the title basically asks the question, but why is it better to have the coil around the shock instead of next to it? Is there a mechanical advantage or does it just save space? Also, why are Kings so good? (not bashing king). I am actually curious as to the mechanical/technical side of what makes kings such a great choice.

wayoflife
03-08-2013, 07:43 PM
I guess the title basically asks the question, but why is it better to have the coil around the shock instead of next to it? Is there a mechanical advantage or does it just save space? Also, why are Kings so good? (not bashing king). I am actually curious as to the mechanical/technical side of what makes kings such a great choice.

On a coil sprung rig, your axle will travel in an arc and swipe as well. As this happens, your coils which are designed to sit vertically at ride height will bow and get pulled with the axle, have reduced performance when this happens and ultimately make contact or get hung up on other suspension components. By having your coils attached to the shock body and then only have the shock attached to the frame and axle with joints that offer a high degree of rotation, the two can move together seamlessly and provide optimal performance regardless of the position of your axle. Coil overs also allow you to set your ride height to where you want and run two separate coils and of different spring rates if you wish and have it set so that the second coil only kicks in under certain conditions. This will allow you to have a comfortable ride for daily driving and also have the added benefit of being able to drive hard and fast in the desert and all in the same setup. Being that coil overs typically come with remote reservoirs, they will also do a great job of keeping things cool and help prevent cavatation. Also, by virtue of its design, a good coil over setup will require you to install new mounting towers with higher mounting points and that can allow you to run much longer shocks which will in turn provide a greater degree of articulation. And then there's valving, being that most coil overs can be made to order, you can have yours valved to provide an outstanding ride on and off the pavement for your specific preference or even order a set designed for your vehicle. King has been working with Off Road Evolution for a long time to do just that with JK's and, in addition to their designs and quality of construction they are coveted for that reason as well.

jhires
03-08-2013, 07:50 PM
On a coil sprung rig, your axle will travel in an arc and swipe as well. As this happens, your coils which are designed to sit vertically at ride height will bow and get pulled with the axle, have reduced performance when this happens and ultimately make contact or get hung up on other suspension components. By having your coils attached to the shock body and then only have the shock attached to the frame and axle with joints that offer a high degree of rotation, the two can move together seamlessly and provide optimal performance regardless of the position of your axle. Coil overs also allow you to set your ride height to where you want and run two separate coils and of different spring rates if you wish and have it set so that the second coil only kicks in under certain conditions. This will allow you to have a comfortable ride for daily driving and also have the added benefit of being able to drive hard and fast in the desert and all in the same setup. Being that coil overs typically come with remote reservoirs, they will also do a great job of keeping things cool and help prevent cavatation. Also, by virtue of its design, a good coil over setup will require you to install new mounting towers with higher mounting points and that can allow you to run much longer shocks which will in turn provide a greater degree of articulation. And then there's valving, being that most coil overs can be made to order, you can have yours valved to provide an outstanding ride on and off the pavement for your specific preference or even order a set designed for your vehicle. King has been working with Off Road Evolution for a long time to do just that with JK's and, in addition to their designs and quality of construction they are coveted for that reason as well.

Wow! I didn't even know I had the question until JK&Beyond asked it. Awesome answer practically worthy of a writeup. Learned more about a coil-over setup than I ever thought I needed to know. Previous to this, only thing I knew about them was the ability to keep cool and not fade as fast under heavy use because of the reservoir setup and custom valving.

Thanks!

TheDuff
03-08-2013, 07:58 PM
I'm sure there are a lot of reasons, but a few that come to mind are: ability to run 2 springs with completely different spring rates on a coil over. Able to get a lot of travel with out worry of unseating a spring. Mel works closely with king to get the valving and spring rates just right for a jk. Other companies may just be using a generic coil over setup using theoretical numbers. Although coil overs are not the only rebuild able shock, once you purchase other high end shocks that are with springs ect, you come close to the cost of coil overs anyways. I haven't seen many instances where a spring/shock combo produced more flex than coilovers (metal cloak lift may be close). Coil over shock bodies are pretty massive, looks to me that they hold a lot more fluid volume, which is good for high speed stuff. I just rode in and fallowed my a rig on coil overs during tds. I in no way could keep up and while riding along, the faster we went the smoother it was! That was just on the evo bolt on's, double throw down and evo lever must be insane. The ability to do 70mph down a wash that my rig was getting beat up on going 20mph is just awesome. I haven't seen any that went to coil overs switch back to coil and shock. These are just my observations and may not be fact, so flame away!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife
03-08-2013, 07:58 PM
I should also note that unlike a traditional coil which, the taller you go, the stiffer the spring rate needs to be to prevent deflection, a coil over running two separate coils will allow you to achieve your desired ride height without sacrifice to your ride quality. In most cases, you can use coil overs to significantly improve it.

wayoflife
03-08-2013, 08:07 PM
I'm sure there are a lot of reasons, but a few that come to mind are: ability to run 2 springs with completely different spring rates on a coil over. Able to get a lot of travel with out worry of unseating a spring. Mel works closely with king to get the valving and spring rates just right for a jk. Other companies may just be using a generic coil over setup using theoretical numbers. Although coil overs are not the only rebuild able shock, once you purchase other high end shocks that are with springs ect, you come close to the cost of coil overs anyways. I haven't seen many instances where a spring/shock combo produced more flex than coilovers (metal cloak lift may be close). Coil over shock bodies are pretty massive, looks to me that they hold a lot more fluid volume, which is good for high speed stuff. I just rode in and fallowed my a rig on coil overs during tds. I in no way could keep up and while riding along, the faster we went the smoother it was! That was just on the evo bolt on's, double throw down and evo lever must be insane. The ability to do 70mph down a wash that my rig was getting beat up on going 20mph is just awesome. I haven't seen any that went to coil overs switch back to coil and shock. These are just my observations and may not be fact, so flame away!

Your observations are pretty much dead on and even if something like the Metalcloak system could offer as much articulation, you would still be forced to have a taller ride height and their coils would still be influenced by the position of the axle, bow, make contact and get hung up in suspension components. Also, there is simply no comparison to the ride you would have with a coil over with two coils vs. a traditional dual rate coil. The later simply will not have the kind of stuff that a two coils with a softer spring rate will provide. Also, as you've pointed out, good coil overs are massive and are designed to take abuse in a way that two skinny shocks strapped end on end could never hope to.

dis_dis
03-08-2013, 08:12 PM
I am thinking about upgrading to coil overs at some point in the future but I don't like the idea of having to cut the trunk space in the back and installing the towers for the coil-overs. In a 2 door the space is limited as it is. Is there a coil over set up that doesnt require cutting/setting up the trunk area?

wayoflife
03-08-2013, 08:16 PM
I am thinking about upgrading to coil overs at some point in the future but I don't like the idea of having to cut the trunk space in the back and installing the towers for the coil-overs. In a 2 door the space is limited as it is. Is there a coil over set up that doesnt require cutting/setting up the trunk area?

Well yeah, the EVO MFG bolt on coil over kit will provide 12" of vertical travel up front and 11.25" in the rear and without having to do any cutting of your tub. It's a great kit and one that we are running on our 2012 now. Of course, if you want huge 14" of vertical travel and the best ride available for your JK, I would recommend the EVO MFG Double Throw Down with EVO lever in the rear - essentially, a cantilever system that requires NO cutting of the tub but still offers the MOST flex out of any coil over kit available today. Best part is, both kits don't require you to set your ride height sky high as others available today do. :yup:

Here are some shots of the more affordable bolt on kit in action....

http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=276742&g2_serialNumber=1

http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=276748&g2_serialNumber=1

http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=276744&g2_serialNumber=1

http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=276760&g2_serialNumber=1

http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=276762&g2_serialNumber=1

Here is a link to the build thread...

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?607-RubiCAT-Gettin-EVO-d-UP!!

TheDuff
03-08-2013, 08:21 PM

I believe (key word!) The evo lever works on both 2 and 4 Door. As far as I've seen u just get the exhaust out if the way and there isn't a hoop in the trunk. But then again, I haven't seen it on a 2dr in person!

wayoflife
03-08-2013, 08:24 PM
I believe (key word!) The evo lever works on both 2 and 4 Door. As far as I've seen u just get the exhaust out if the way and there isn't a hoop in the trunk. But then again, I haven't seen it on a 2dr in person!

There aren't too many 2-doors out there in general but, I have seen a few with the EVO lever installed. Here's an old shot of what it looks like from underneath and with short arms...

http://www.project-jk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=84575

dis_dis
03-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Well yeah, the EVO MFG bolt on coil over kit will provide 12" of vertical travel up front and 11.25" in the rear and without having to do any cutting of your tub. It's a great kit and one that we are running on our 2012 now. Of course, if you want huge 14" of vertical travel and the best ride available for your JK, I would recommend the EVO MFG Double Throw Down with EVO lever in the rear - essentially, a cantilever system that requires NO cutting of the tub but still offers the MOST flex out of any coil over kit available today. Best part is, both kits don't require you to set your ride height sky high as others available today do. :yup:

Here are some shots of the more affordable bolt on kit in action....

http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=276742&g2_serialNumber=1

http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=276748&g2_serialNumber=1

http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=276744&g2_serialNumber=1

http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=276760&g2_serialNumber=1

http://project-jk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=276762&g2_serialNumber=1

Here is a link to the build thread...

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?607-RubiCAT-Gettin-EVO-d-UP!!

Nice,
I know what my next mod after I change my drive shafts will be ... :)

TheDuff
03-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Eddie I don't know how you made that massive post with pictures and beat me to the submit button:what: I'm in awe:eek:

TheDuff
03-08-2013, 08:29 PM
I like the use of space there for the battery

GCM 2
03-08-2013, 08:35 PM
I had posted this a few weeks ago when the debate started in yet another thread that any coilover bolted on to your rig is easy to set up and tune. Well, it's not. Click the link below for some more info on how the coilover we run is a turnkey solution for anyone looking at investing into a great set up

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?5016-What-is-an-EVO-spec-d-King-Shock

wayoflife
03-08-2013, 08:42 PM
I had posted this a few weeks ago when the debate started in yet another thread that any coilover bolted on to your rig is easy to set up and tune. Well, it's not. Click the link below for some more info on how the coilover we run is a turnkey solution for anyone looking at investing into a great set up

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?5016-What-is-an-EVO-spec-d-King-Shock

:cheesy: Funny how that works. Even funnier, I was just looking for that link so that I could post it up but, it looks like you beat me to it :crazyeyes:

Rusty
03-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Greg... It's only easy if you have a Factory support team with you... oh and Mel... ;)

I was sort of debating in another thread about wether or not to get coil overs versus a coil spring set up ( the double D thread) and I think I've made up my mind... Thanks guys!

GCM 2
03-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Greg... It's only easy if you have a Factory support team with you... oh and Mel... ;)

Haha! If only that we're true brother! Mel is just a great friend to me, but I do insist on supporting his business with my cash purchases! My wife on the other hand probably wishes I was great friends with a home remodeler and my all cash went there instead :icon_crazy:

OverlanderJK
03-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Haha! If only that we're true brother! Mel is just a great friend to me, but I do insist on supporting his business with my cash purchases! My wife on the other hand probably wishes I was great friends with a home remodeler and my all cash went there instead :icon_crazy:

You have a jeep that has been remodeled. What more does she need? :cheesy:

Rusty
03-08-2013, 08:55 PM

I bet your wife does.. :cheesy:

I don't even know the guy, maybe one day I will... but.. Hell so far I only have skid plates and rocker panel skins from EVO on my jeep... (front bumper and rock sliders are ether being fabricated or shipped.. ).. And I have the Evo mfg written on my doors and the Offroad Evolution logo in large on my front passenger doors.. I'm a HUGE fan.. And I seriously cannot wait to have the suspension system as well... who knows maybe when I get home in june (going on a 3 month long business trip...) it'll be sitting on 4 coilovers... (seeing as I'm leaving my Jeep at National 4wd in montreal while i'm gone.

I support his business! the evolution that they are in the process of bringing to this way of life... / sport... is.. Awesome!

FuriousDz
03-08-2013, 09:04 PM
So sorry if this is a newb question or if it was already answered.

So the shock and coil allow for a true vertical movement but your control arms move still move in an arc correct?
IF the above is true does the coilover pivot as the contol arms drop lower to allow for a full range of motion?

ttfhell
03-08-2013, 09:23 PM

As the guy The Duff was riding with above I can tell you that they are awesome. I had a Teraflex 4" kit before which is a solid kit but if you go over any wash board type roads at 15plus you feel it let alone any whoops. I just have the bolt on kit and front air bumps and it is night and day better. My motto on the weekend was if its feels too stiff, go faster. Worked every time. Better than this is even at the lowest hight it's at 3" or so there is enough articulation to help on these rocks the same day you haul ass down the road. 18801188021880018803
Best purchase yet.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife
03-08-2013, 09:40 PM
So sorry if this is a newb question or if it was already answered.

So the shock and coil allow for a true vertical movement but your control arms move still move in an arc correct?
IF the above is true does the coilover pivot as the contol arms drop lower to allow for a full range of motion?

As mentioned earlier, coil overs come with joints (typically heims) that allow for a high degree of rotation. This allows the entire unit to follow the axle, 100% bind free, even as it arcs with the control arms to allow for a full range of motion. You simply cannot beat it.

FuriousDz
03-08-2013, 09:43 PM
As mentioned earlier, coil overs come with joints (typically heims) that allow for a high degree of rotation. This allows the entire unit to follow the axle, 100% bind free, even as it arcs with the control arms to allow for a full range of motion. You simply cannot beat it.

Thanks for the response, guess I missed that before.

wayoflife
03-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the response, guess I missed that before.

It's all good and a good question to have asked. :yup:

JK&Beyond
03-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Wow! This is great info guys. Thank you, WOL especially, for clearing these things up. I knew these King coilovers had to be special since they are Mel's bread and butter, but I didn't realize how incredibly functional they were. Thanks for turning my uninformed question into a thread of awesome wisdom. :clap2: :rock:

This kinda stuff is the reason I joined Wayalife.

TheDuff
03-08-2013, 10:29 PM
So what length are you using, 12" or 14"? I heard a rumor that mel uses the 12, what's the story and any reasons for one or the other? Go

wayoflife
03-08-2013, 10:42 PM
Wow! This is great info guys. Thank you, WOL especially, for clearing these things up. I knew these King coilovers had to be special since they are Mel's bread and butter, but I didn't realize how incredibly functional they were. Thanks for turning my uninformed question into a thread of awesome wisdom. :clap2: :rock:

LOL!! Well I'm glad it's been helpful to you. I have run a lot of different lifts, coils, shocks and suspension components and if there's a reason why I now run coil overs, it's because there really is nothing better out there available.

So what length are you using, 12" or 14"? I heard a rumor that mel uses the 12, what's the story and any reasons for one or the other? Go

It's no rumor, the bolt on kit uses 12" coil overs up front and 11.25" in the rear. Unlike other kits, the EVO bolt on coil overs use the entire length of the shock and will give you all 12" up front and 11.25" in the rear.

On the EVO DTD setup, you would use 12" coil overs up front and only 8" ones in the rear but, because of how the mounts are designed up front and how the EVO Lever works in the rear, you get a full 14" of vertical travel out of both. With the DTD towers, you don't want or need anymore travel as you would push the limits of the drive shaft operating angles. If you want to run 14" coil overs up front, you would have to run them as single coil overs only.

mcpuck
03-08-2013, 11:18 PM

Yup! :yup: :thumb: What he said ...

piginajeep
03-09-2013, 12:46 AM
As the guy The Duff was riding with above I can tell you that they are awesome. I had a Teraflex 4" kit before which is a solid kit but if you go over any wash board type roads at 15plus you feel it let alone any whoops. I just have the bolt on kit and front air bumps and it is night and day better. My motto on the weekend was if its feels too stiff, go faster. Worked every time. Better than this is even at the lowest hight it's at 3" or so there is enough articulation to help on these rocks the same day you haul ass down the road. 18801188021880018803
Best purchase yet.

15 mph is'nt even making the DTD work. You can easily do 60-70 in the whoops. The higher speeds is where it really shines.

its fucking amazing how smooth it is!!!!

Of course if you are driving that fast you need a full cage:yup:

ttfhell
03-09-2013, 12:50 AM
When will that new cage be ready?!? Safety third is my motto.

SoCalDozer
03-09-2013, 02:07 AM

Fits on a 2 door no problem. Only person I know with one is Andy, don't know he screen name. He has it on his jk that he had at suds n grub couple weeks ago

wayoflife
03-09-2013, 02:10 AM
Fits on a 2 door no problem. Only person I know with one is Andy, don't know he screen name. He has it on his jk that he had at suds n grub couple weeks ago

Andy Brown, he runs the Intrepid Ultra4 car and yes, he's got a 2-door with the DTD.

SoCalDozer
03-09-2013, 02:12 AM
Andy Brown, he runs the Intrepid Ultra4 car and yes, he's got a 2-door with the DTD.

Yeah that's the PSC rig right?

wayoflife
03-09-2013, 02:25 AM
Yeah that's the PSC rig right?

Yup, that's the one.

Rascal3
03-09-2013, 03:35 AM
I was out doing some Jeep shopping today and ran across this build with coil overs and some other stuff.18847

Rascal3
03-09-2013, 03:38 AM
18849. Looks like it will be nice once done.

Rascal3
03-09-2013, 03:40 AM
18850 one more pic.

TheDuff
03-09-2013, 04:15 AM
15 mph is'nt even making the DTD work. You can easily do 60-70 in the whoops. The higher speeds is where it really shines.

its fucking amazing how smooth it is!!!!

Of course if you are driving that fast you need a full cage:yup:
the first run we did (literally 10mins after we arrived at tds:crazyeyes:) we where fallowing the group over some small rocks through the main wash at maybe 10mph. I mentioned to russ that it was harsher than I had expected (still better than my lift though). Russ told me that we had to go faster, I thought he was crazy and just messing with me. but as I would later find out, its true, if its rough go faster!:rock::rock::rock: I should of got some footage of us tearing through some washes at 1am the next night... well acctually we had a hard time just staying in the washes lol, we made our own short cuts too:cool:

Beyrgut
03-09-2013, 05:50 AM
So to play devil advocate here, what are the drawbacks to running a coilover setup? It's on my long term upgrade list so I have plenty of time to dig in and research it but any info on where to look at comparisons, opinions, etc would be awesome. I am thinking if it was a perfect suspension setup then the traditional coil-shock setup would not be so prevalent in all vehicles not just jeeps.

Sharkey
03-09-2013, 05:54 AM
The major drawback is price.

dchew
03-09-2013, 10:28 AM

Yeah in the past it has been price and complicated installation. EVO's bolt on kit changed that dramatically. It is still more expensive, that's the shocks. But much less so that previously, and the install is now pretty simple.

It's weird to think it was only one year ago (or less?) that we started hearing bits and pieces about Rubicat and this new system. It brings coil overs to the masses because this system directly addresses those two main disadvantages.

I bet King is pretty busy too, not just EVO. :)

wayoflife
03-09-2013, 02:44 PM

What he said - cost is a major drawback of coil overs. A traditional coil and shock setup is way cheaper and way easier to install.

ProfessionalDriver
03-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Yeah in the past it has been price and complicated installation. EVO's bolt on kit changed that dramatically. It is still more expensive, that's the shocks. But much less so that previously, and the install is now pretty simple.

It's weird to think it was only one year ago (or less?) that we started hearing bits and pieces about Rubicat and this new system. It brings coil overs to the masses because this system directly addresses those two main disadvantages.

I completely agree... I have never installed a lift on any type of vehicle before and I just tackled a self install of the EVO bolt-on coilovers. Very simple install for those with common sense!

ttfhell
03-09-2013, 05:21 PM
If you like to tinker around like I do you can spend an hour or two and mess around with the lift height. Did it yesterday, added an inch for fun. Might go back lower later and it's great to have that option.

piginajeep
03-09-2013, 05:52 PM
I completely agree... I have never installed a lift on any type of vehicle before and I just tackled a self install of the EVO bolt-on coilovers. Very simple install for those with common sense!

It's to bad you can't buy common sense

SoCalDozer
03-09-2013, 06:04 PM

They aren't super backed up, they told
Me 2-3 weeks for mine to be built so we will see when they get here

Atch
03-09-2013, 06:29 PM

Completely agree...yeah it's a little more involved than a regular setup but not too difficult at all.

ttfhell
03-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Well I think individual parts can be replaced as well. Hoping. Just had a rock flip under and rip off a rear reservoir. Hoping I can get into Evo this week to fix heading out Friday to the desert.....190131901519021

wayoflife
03-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Well I think individual parts can be replaced as well. Hoping. Just had a rock flip under and rip off a rear reservoir. Hoping I can get into Evo this week to fix heading out Friday to the desert...

LOL!! How in the hell did you manage to do that? :crazyeyes:

Yeah, King coil overs can be totally rebuilt. :yup:

ttfhell
03-09-2013, 09:04 PM
Any problem driving home like this? Fluid everywhere.

wayoflife
03-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Any problem driving home like this? Fluid everywhere.

Nah, you'll be fine. I might try plugging the port to help prevent dust from getting in and any more oil from coming out but that's about it. Your rear end may feel a bit different on bumps and turns but other than that, you should be okay.

ttfhell
03-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Thanks hoping this is a quick and easy turn around supposed to back to Ocotillo Friday to Sunday...

TheDuff
03-09-2013, 10:47 PM
Thanks hoping this is a quick and easy turn around supposed to back to Ocotillo Friday to Sunday...

Oh, thanks for the invite:sly:

MTG
03-09-2013, 10:55 PM

EVO doesn't make a kit for that? :cheesy:

Serg5000
03-09-2013, 11:32 PM
EVO doesn't make a kit for that? :cheesy:

Still in the R&D phase. :)

JK&Beyond
03-10-2013, 05:07 AM
Well I think individual parts can be replaced as well. Hoping. Just had a rock flip under and rip off a rear reservoir. Hoping I can get into Evo this week to fix heading out Friday to the desert.....19021

You must have been slinging some serious stones to rip that up this bad. I can't imagine what would've happened had you been running a regular shock. :grayno::eek:

ttfhell
03-10-2013, 07:03 AM
LOL!! How in the hell did you manage to do that? :crazyeyes:

Yeah, King coil overs can be totally rebuilt. :yup:

Well according to the guys behind me a flat long rock flipped up like a can opener as I was backing down a nothing little rock hill and pried it off. Literally shot all the oil across the whole rear undercarriage. Drenched the opposite wheel and coils in oil bad enough I originally thought both were peeled off. Now squeaking like crazy from the oil. Fluke all the way.

Bad luck weekend. Rolled my ankle last night when my wheel lock on my lug nut wrench cracked under load. Heard it pop thought I broke it and laid on the garage floor for a few minutes. Got greedy and tried the gatekeeper at Calico for the hell of it after the run. Easily the hardest thing I've tried. However managed to make it about 70% with a newbie spotter and three shocks :) but couldn't make the last step up. Too tired to stack rocks so I had to back down. Ripped my license plate into a new accordion shape, removed the mount and tore the antenna off along with tearing up my soon to be removed stock rear bumper and partially, tore into my newly trimmed fender a bit.

That being said even getting 70% up it was probably the coolest thing I've done yet in my jeep as I thought I wouldn't make it past the second obstacle:) Pre-coilovers I wouldn't have tried it at all nor made it nearly as far. Good times all the way.

ttfhell
03-10-2013, 07:08 AM
Oh, thanks for the invite:sly:

I was just asked yesterday by my buddy's parents. Mr. I only get one weekend off a month :)

TheDuff
03-10-2013, 04:43 PM
I was just asked yesterday by my buddy's parents. Mr. I only get one weekend off a month :)

I have sunday-monday off, maybe I can make it out for the day:rolleyes:

TheDuff
03-10-2013, 05:28 PM
Well according to the guys behind me a flat long rock flipped up like a can opener as I was backing down a nothing little rock hill and pried it off. Literally shot all the oil across the whole rear undercarriage. Drenched the opposite wheel and coils in oil bad enough I originally thought both were peeled off. Now squeaking like crazy from the oil. Fluke all the way.

Bad luck weekend. Rolled my ankle last night when my wheel lock on my lug nut wrench cracked under load. Heard it pop thought I broke it and laid on the garage floor for a few minutes. Got greedy and tried the gatekeeper at Calico for the hell of it after the run. Easily the hardest thing I've tried. However managed to make it about 70% with a newbie spotter and three shocks :) but couldn't make the last step up. Too tired to stack rocks so I had to back down. Ripped my license plate into a new accordion shape, removed the mount and tore the antenna off along with tearing up my soon to be removed stock rear bumper and partially, tore into my newly trimmed fender a bit.

That being said even getting 70% up it was probably the coolest thing I've done yet in my jeep as I thought I wouldn't make it past the second obstacle:) Pre-coilovers I wouldn't have tried it at all nor made it nearly as far. Good times all the way.

I'll spot ya next time:D