Why are coilovers better?

dchew

The major drawback is price.

Yeah in the past it has been price and complicated installation. EVO's bolt on kit changed that dramatically. It is still more expensive, that's the shocks. But much less so that previously, and the install is now pretty simple.

It's weird to think it was only one year ago (or less?) that we started hearing bits and pieces about Rubicat and this new system. It brings coil overs to the masses because this system directly addresses those two main disadvantages.

I bet King is pretty busy too, not just EVO. :)

Yeah in the past it has been price and complicated installation. EVO's bolt on kit changed that dramatically. It is still more expensive, that's the shocks. But much less so that previously, and the install is now pretty simple.

It's weird to think it was only one year ago (or less?) that we started hearing bits and pieces about Rubicat and this new system. It brings coil overs to the masses because this system directly addresses those two main disadvantages.

I completely agree... I have never installed a lift on any type of vehicle before and I just tackled a self install of the EVO bolt-on coilovers. Very simple install for those with common sense!

ttfhell

If you like to tinker around like I do you can spend an hour or two and mess around with the lift height. Did it yesterday, added an inch for fun. Might go back lower later and it's great to have that option.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SoCalDozer

They aren't super backed up, they told
Me 2-3 weeks for mine to be built so we will see when they get here

ttfhell

Well I think individual parts can be replaced as well. Hoping. Just had a rock flip under and rip off a rear reservoir. Hoping I can get into Evo this week to fix heading out Friday to the desert..... ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1362861399.648275.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1362861427.047326.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1362861446.088337.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well I think individual parts can be replaced as well. Hoping. Just had a rock flip under and rip off a rear reservoir. Hoping I can get into Evo this week to fix heading out Friday to the desert...

LOL!! How in the hell did you manage to do that? :crazyeyes:

Yeah, King coil overs can be totally rebuilt. :yup:

ttfhell

Any problem driving home like this? Fluid everywhere.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Any problem driving home like this? Fluid everywhere.

Nah, you'll be fine. I might try plugging the port to help prevent dust from getting in and any more oil from coming out but that's about it. Your rear end may feel a bit different on bumps and turns but other than that, you should be okay.

ttfhell

Thanks hoping this is a quick and easy turn around supposed to back to Ocotillo Friday to Sunday...

TheDuff

Thanks hoping this is a quick and easy turn around supposed to back to Ocotillo Friday to Sunday...

Oh, thanks for the invite:sly:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

JK&Beyond

Well I think individual parts can be replaced as well. Hoping. Just had a rock flip under and rip off a rear reservoir. Hoping I can get into Evo this week to fix heading out Friday to the desert..... View attachment 19021

You must have been slinging some serious stones to rip that up this bad. I can't imagine what would've happened had you been running a regular shock. :grayno::eek:

ttfhell

LOL!! How in the hell did you manage to do that? :crazyeyes:

Yeah, King coil overs can be totally rebuilt. :yup:

Well according to the guys behind me a flat long rock flipped up like a can opener as I was backing down a nothing little rock hill and pried it off. Literally shot all the oil across the whole rear undercarriage. Drenched the opposite wheel and coils in oil bad enough I originally thought both were peeled off. Now squeaking like crazy from the oil. Fluke all the way.

Bad luck weekend. Rolled my ankle last night when my wheel lock on my lug nut wrench cracked under load. Heard it pop thought I broke it and laid on the garage floor for a few minutes. Got greedy and tried the gatekeeper at Calico for the hell of it after the run. Easily the hardest thing I've tried. However managed to make it about 70% with a newbie spotter and three shocks :) but couldn't make the last step up. Too tired to stack rocks so I had to back down. Ripped my license plate into a new accordion shape, removed the mount and tore the antenna off along with tearing up my soon to be removed stock rear bumper and partially, tore into my newly trimmed fender a bit.

That being said even getting 70% up it was probably the coolest thing I've done yet in my jeep as I thought I wouldn't make it past the second obstacle:) Pre-coilovers I wouldn't have tried it at all nor made it nearly as far. Good times all the way.

Last edited:

TheDuff

Well according to the guys behind me a flat long rock flipped up like a can opener as I was backing down a nothing little rock hill and pried it off. Literally shot all the oil across the whole rear undercarriage. Drenched the opposite wheel and coils in oil bad enough I originally thought both were peeled off. Now squeaking like crazy from the oil. Fluke all the way.

Bad luck weekend. Rolled my ankle last night when my wheel lock on my lug nut wrench cracked under load. Heard it pop thought I broke it and laid on the garage floor for a few minutes. Got greedy and tried the gatekeeper at Calico for the hell of it after the run. Easily the hardest thing I've tried. However managed to make it about 70% with a newbie spotter and three shocks :) but couldn't make the last step up. Too tired to stack rocks so I had to back down. Ripped my license plate into a new accordion shape, removed the mount and tore the antenna off along with tearing up my soon to be removed stock rear bumper and partially, tore into my newly trimmed fender a bit.

That being said even getting 70% up it was probably the coolest thing I've done yet in my jeep as I thought I wouldn't make it past the second obstacle:) Pre-coilovers I wouldn't have tried it at all nor made it nearly as far. Good times all the way.

I'll spot ya next time:D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom