Camber, Caster, Toe

jk12blk

Given the below image, should I be concerned my camber is not 0*? Or, is -.6* and -.7* so small I need not worry about it? Regarding caster, is it recommended passenger side caster have more positive caster compared to the driver side? Toe seems to be right on the money given the chart.

I'm running RK's 3.5 mid arm suspension.

Any feedback welcome. thanks!

photo.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You have a solid front axle and any camber you have means your axle c's are slightly bent. No adjustment can be made to them without the use of offset ball joints and even at that, you can still see more bending in the future without gussets.

Your caster is set correctly and being that you have a solid front axle, no adjustment can be to even it out or Change it left to right.

jk12blk

You have a solid front axle and any camber you have means your axle c's are slightly bent. No adjustment can be made to them without the use of offset ball joints and even at that, you can still see more bending in the future without gussets.

Your caster is set correctly and being that you have a solid front axle, no adjustment can be to even it out or Change it left to right.

thanks WAL. Unbelievable the C's are bent (or maybe their machine is out of whack). My JK has 4,600 miles (primarily street to date). I guess driving around town w/ 35's will bend factory C's. Bummer is I'm having my EVO gussets and sleeves installed next week. Hopefully, it's not too bad. thanks again.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
thanks WAL. Unbelievable the C's are bent (or maybe their machine is out of whack). My JK has 4,600 miles (primarily street to date). I guess driving around town w/ 35's will bend factory C's. Bummer is I'm having my EVO gussets and sleeves installed next week. Hopefully, it's not too bad. thanks again.

Yeah, it doesn't take much more than running 35's to bend them. Gussets will prevent any further bending and if you really want to address them, offset ball joints will help you to do that. But really, I might just leave well enough alone. What you have isn't too bad.

dchew

Caught the Bug
If the axle c's are bent can they be fixed? If not is it worth putting the gusets on?

His are not bent too badly. Just barely out of spec on one side by 0.1 degrees. It's possible it came from the factory at -0.6. Gussets now would prevent any further bending, so yes I think it would be well worth it. :thumb:

Dave

jk12blk

How long have you been driving the 35s without added armor? I just put on 37s about a week ago, I guess I should hurry up with the axle reinforcement.

Of the 4,600 miles or so I have now, 3,100 miles have been with 35's. I researched this a bit more and many jeepers have stated their c's have negative camber - direct from dealer. I'm not going to worry about it, but I do plan to get a second opinion when I get my gussets/sleeves installed. I'll keep my tires rotated to help mitigate any uneven wear.

Rockdude

How important is it to get gussets put on ? I'm running 35's in my JK without gussets. I also have D44 axels if that makes a difference. My alignment specifications for camber are the same as the ones in the pic. My JK is my daily driver and sees a lot of of road. Will it slowly get worse over time if I don't get gussets put on?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
How important is it to get gussets put on ? I'm running 35's in my JK without gussets. I also have D44 axels if that makes a difference. My alignment specifications for camber are the same as the ones in the pic. My JK is my daily driver and sees a lot of of road. Will it slowly get worse over time if I don't get gussets put on?

Yes get gussets, even if you just drive it to the mall like I do, gussets will prevent it from bending over time.

Rockdude

Sounds important to get. Heading to Moab in two days won't have time to get them installed before hand. How much does it take to bend them? I will be doing trails like golden spike, and Moab rim.

mkjeep

Junkyard Dog
Takes a decent welder a couple hours at the most. EVO gussets can be installed without dropping the axle out. If I were you and cant find anyone, get'em welded on in Moab. Better safe than sorry.

In5ane1

I runn 33's and my passenger front is -.7 camber. I realize this is barely out...but should I approach dealership for warranty work since its "out of spec"...or would they even do anything?

Mine is a 2013 jku with 4k miles

Last edited:

Heholua

I runn 33's and my passenger front is -.7 camber. I realize this is barely out...but should I approach dealership for warranty work since its "out of spec"...or would they even do anything?

Mine is a 2013 jku with 4k miles

You can't adjust camber on a solid axle vehicle, only caster and toe.

In5ane1

You can't adjust camber on a solid axle vehicle, only caster and toe.

So my point is....if it's off from factory the dealership shiud make it right...correct? Either new ball joint or something else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Heholua

So my point is....if it's off from factory the dealership shiud make it right...correct? Either new ball joint or something else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

It is what it is. -.7 is nothing to be worried about. New ball joints will not change camber. I believe its within tolerances. But hey, its your rig, do what you feel is best for you.

Heholua

Based on what I'm reading here, I would get reinforced before installing 35's!

Depending on the type of wheeling you do, yes reinforcing before 35s would be a good idea. Not all axles from the factory come with 0° of camber. They come within certain tolerances. You would really have to do something stressful to your axle to bend the Cs and cause the camber to be significantly out of tolerance.

cap

Depending on the type of wheeling you do, yes reinforcing before 35s would be a good idea. Not all axles from the factory come with 0° of camber. They come within certain tolerances. You would really have to do something stressful to your axle to bend the Cs and cause the camber to be significantly out of tolerance.

Would there be greater risk if running 35's on a d30 in the front?

Top Bottom