Oh Crap!!!

Firewrangler

So this morning after I get to the fire station, one of the guys walks in and says..."hey, did you know your rear sway bar is hanging down almost to the ground?" Nope!!! I didn't know that!!! After inspection I find that the metal is actually busted!!!! Not the welds them self, but the metal. I've had this Jeep two years and its never been through anything with me that could have caused this. My question is....is welding this a safe and viable option?

Skid_Kid

I think that might be a temp fix only. You can probably find a stock cheap one on Craigslist or eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Firewrangler

Yeah...kinda thought it was track bar and not sway bar, but I'm new to all this so I was just going on what the co-worker said was sway bar. It's not a bolt. Oh how I wish it was. It's the welds or right at the welds.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that is a track bar that broke and I would either get a JKS replacement mount to have welded or, if you can't wait that long, have the factory one re-welded and remove that track bar relocation bracket. IT is ultimately what broke your mount. I would look into replacing it with an EVO relocation bracket or something that offers significant reinforcement.

rinkishjk

Yea that's the track bar. She must have felt quite loose driving it!
The jks one is nice, as is the evo. Either way this is a common problem.

Firewrangler

I did notice a little more sway than normal this morning, but I did a budget lift from Skyjacker and need to start adding some components up front to make my drive better. Just not sure where to start. I guess now I need to be getting this problem solved first.

jkrossi

While we are the topic of track bars and mounts Mayne some can answer this question. If you have a lift that uses a trackbar relocation bracket can you ditch it by just getting a adjustable trackbar?

Firewrangler

Yeah, that is a track bar that broke and I would either get a JKS replacement mount to have welded or, if you can't wait that long, have the factory one re-welded and remove that track bar relocation bracket. IT is ultimately what broke your mount. I would look into replacing it with an EVO relocation bracket or something that offers significant reinforcement.

So...for now, you'd remove the track bar relocation bracket and put back the way it was in the stock location until I get the EVO or JKS?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So...for now, you'd remove the track bar relocation bracket and put back the way it was in the stock location until I get the EVO or JKS?

Yes. You can either have the factory mount re-welded on or replace it with a JKS replacement mount and then leave the relocation bracket that you have off until you can replace it with one like EVO makes. The one you have now is a terrible design that lacks any reinforcement on the axle and what it effectively does is acts like a lever that works the factory mount back and forth until it breaks - just like bending a paper clip back and forth - metallurgy will eventually take its toll.

jkrossi

Yes. You can either have the factory mount re-welded on or replace it with a JKS replacement mount and then leave the relocation bracket that you have off until you can replace it with one like EVO makes. The one you have now is a terrible design that lacks any reinforcement on the axle and what it effectively does is acts like a lever that works the factory mount back and forth until it breaks - just like bending a paper clip back and forth - metallurgy will eventually take its toll.

Can you get you get rid of any type of relocation bracket by just getting a adjustable rear track bar?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can you get you get rid of any type of relocation bracket by just getting a adjustable rear track bar?

You can use replace a track bar relocation bracket with an adjustable track bar but, when you get up into 3.5" of lift or taller, a good relocation bracket will help correct the geometry of your track bar and that will help improve your ride.

Top Bottom