Best in dash nav system

MTG

Caught the Bug
AUDIO EXPERTS NEEDED!!

At the time I ordered my jeep the 430N system was getting bad reviews and the 730N system wasn't available yet. Needless to say I ordered my jeep without a navigation system. So what are my options for aftermarket head units? Or should I go with a factory system?

I almost backed over a honda the other day that decided to park itself right behind me a stoplight (long story), so I would like the option of a backup camera. I would love it if it had some sort of GPS system built in, but I am happy to buy another system if necessary (i.e. a handheld). I am not an audiophile, the factory stereo is fine for me, but I am happy to upgrade to get what I need. And finally, I know nothing about stereos or speakers etc. I do not have the time or the inclination to spend time figuring it out.

Educate me, please.

P.S. I need to put a stereo in my boat too (wife's request), any tips on a system with a few speakers (no tower) and a head unit would be much appreciated.

EDIT: all my music is apple based. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

SDG

Caught the Bug
Not sure what your budget is, but

Alpine is the industry standard. I have it in my other vehicle and it's incredible (I have the older version though.)
http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ine-w927hd
Alpine makes most of the top OEM navi systems including Lexus and Acura.

The second best is Pioneer.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/GPS-Navigation

However, pioneer released this boss unit, which can be a gamechanger.
http://www.appradioknows.com/

I would agree with the above. I used to be up to speed on all the audio stuff but have since fallen a little behind the times but if I were to get a nav unit it would be without a doubt the alpine. I have had 3 of them in prior vehicles some with subs and amps and all that crap and was always very pleased with their performance. I even considered upgrading to their latest nav that fits in the 12/13's but decided that I would just stick with the stock nav for now. I believe the latest offering is top notch but is roughly about a grand.

other possibilities would be a garmin as you could also take it backpackimg etc and it may have a little better "trail" coverage and many have map packs you can upgrade to with all sorts off cool add ons.

Alpine does make a nice product as well.

as far as Pioneer goes, I have had their products in previous vehicles and would never buy a Pioneer product again, just my 3 cents...

andrew -

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Not a lot of point to dropping that kind of coin on a high-end head unit just to pump it through craptastic speakers. I'd replace your speakers as well (which means pulling out your cage temporarily to get to the speakers, or at least I know it did with the '09 dash).

Last edited:
Sharkey makes a good point. I have all Alpine speaker upgrade (not sure which models off hand) and they do sound amazing... But a head unit leads to speakers which lead to an amp and then a camera, $3,000.00 later.... :confused:

andrew -

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Don't forget amp, polyfill, wiring, etc. Time to do some shopping MTG! I love spending your money. :cheesy:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Not a lot of point to dropping that kind of coin on a high-end head unit just to pump it through craptastic speakers. I'd replace your speakers as well (which means pulling out your cage temporarily to get to the speakers, or at least I know it did with the '09 dash).

I've noticed over the years (and I've been doing custom audio for a long time) that the SQ of most of these units is good, so pumping any of them through the stock speakers would be pointless in terms of audio, but the extra money spent does pay for a MUCH nicer GUI and OS. The menus are better laid out, the navi is much better to use, the processor is faster (if you have ever used a navi in a jag, you'd know what I mean) and you don't need to wait 17 minutes between pressing a button and something happening, etc. The Alpine is about 1K (probably a bit less on ebay) and the pioneer is probably in the $700 range on ebay, but that still a far cry from the $1800 for an OEM 730...which is pretty bad (and I have it.) I definitely would never recommend someone buys a 730 unless they are getting a brand new Jeep and don't want to mess with OEM systems (ie Uconnect, etc.) These units are superior to the 730 in every way. The 430 is a pretty good value though.

BTW, I don't know how much car audio you know, but I thought I'd mention this...do NOT compare the OEM crap branded "Alpine" in the 2013s to actual Alpine products. They are polar opposites.

Last edited:

Moochie

I have the stock nav in my 2008 and it's been great for me on the road. I use a Garmin hand held for the trail.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I have the stock nav in my 2008 and it's been great for me on the road. I use a Garmin hand held for the trail.

As a Navi the 730 is ok. I gets you there, but so will a free iphone app. There is a lot more to a navi than just getting there. If you have ever used a new acura navigation system, you would see how much "better" they can get. ;)

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
We just put an Alpine system in my wife's Mazda not long ago because she wanted Nav. and a Backup Camera. It actually kind of sucks and we spent about $1600 on the unit including installation, camera, bluetooth, and a few other little conveniences. The rear speakers (backseat) sound like crap now and there is no fade or balance. This is a result of the new head unit not playing well with the existing Bose system that was in the car. I wouldn't be surprised if you have the same issue with the amp in the Jeep.

I have the 430 in the Jeep which uses Garmin and it works pretty good for what I need. The sound quality is very good. The only issue I have had is the unit locking up when it trys to re-rout.

If I were going to put a new head unit in I would definitely drop the cash on new speakers and amp. Probably the amp being the most important. :twocents:

Also not a huge fan of the Alpine NAV system. At some point I'm sure I will replace the speakers and amp in my wife's car because she hates the way it is now. It was a very disappointing experience.:mad:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
We just put an Alpine system in my wife's Mazda not long ago because she wanted Nav. and a Backup Camera. It actually kind of sucks and we spent about $1600 on the unit including installation, camera, bluetooth, and a few other little conveniences. The rear speakers (backseat) sound like crap now and there is no fade or balance. This is a result of the new head unit not playing well with the existing Bose system that was in the car. I wouldn't be surprised if you have the same issue with the amp in the Jeep.

I have the 430 in the Jeep which uses Garmin and it works pretty good for what I need. The sound quality is very good. The only issue I have had is the unit locking up when it trys to re-rout.

If I were going to put a new head unit in I would definitely drop the cash on new speakers and amp. Probably the amp being the most important. :twocents:

Also not a huge fan of the Alpine NAV system. At some point I'm sure I will replace the speakers and amp in my wife's car because she hates the way it is now. It was a very disappointing experience.:mad:

I could have told you that Bose systems do not play will aftermarket headunits. You automatically lose functionality and subwoofer when you plug an aftermarket headunit into a bose system. When you have a bose system (and many others), you either have to go all the way or not at all. Sorry for your poor experience, but this isn't something new. If she is unhappy, I'd just go back to stock until you are ready to redo the entire system.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I could have told you that Bose systems do not play will aftermarket headunits. You automatically lose functionality and subwoofer when you plug an aftermarket headunit into a bose system. When you have a bose system (and many others), you either have to go all the way or not at all. Sorry for your poor experience, but this isn't something new. If she is unhappy, I'd just go back to stock until you are ready to redo the entire system.

Where were you 6 months ago? :icon_crazy: :cheesy:

She has learned to live with it. I just wish I'd have known the extent of it. The stereo guy made it sound like it was a non-issue... :banghead: O well. I just say that was stage 1, and we will put stage 2 into action sometime this year. ;)

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Where were you 6 months ago? :icon_crazy: :cheesy:

She has learned to live with it. I just wish I'd have known the extent of it. The stereo guy made it sound like it was a non-issue... :banghead: O well. I just say that was stage 1, and we will put stage 2 into action sometime this year. ;)

Yea, I've been dealing with this ever since I was doing a system in my friend's RSX. The bose amp made things impossible. Then again with my friend's G35. Then again with my wife's CRV and premium (not bose) audio. The way they set these systems up really makes it damn near impossible to stick something in the middle. Anytime you need electronics advice, give me a holler, I'll be glad to help!

LoPo

Caught the Bug
If you don't care about the current sound quality, stay stock and go get a good GPS unit. No reason to spend $$ on sound if you don't care.

Go grab a lowrance HDS Elite5 Gen2.

MTG

Caught the Bug
If you don't care about the current sound quality, stay stock and go get a good GPS unit. No reason to spend $$ on sound if you don't care.

Go grab a lowrance HDS Elite5 Gen2.

Seperate GPS unit is where I was originally going to head. I think the backup camera with a screen built in would be nice. However, I did see someone posted a rearview mirror that had a screen in it. Pretty slick.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Seperate GPS unit is where I was originally going to head. I think the backup camera with a screen built in would be nice. However, I did see someone posted a rearview mirror that had a screen in it. Pretty slick.

Honestly, if you don't want an indash, just use a good app like google maps on your smartphone. IMHO, smartphones basically made (on road) suction cup GPS units obsolete. I have 4 garmins in the family, and none of us use them anymore. The iphone/google maps does a much better job, and since it's bluetooth, you can actually pipe it through your Jeep speakers if you have uconnect.

Top Bottom