Best in dash nav system

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Honestly, if you don't want an indash, just use a good app like google maps on your smartphone. IMHO, smartphones basically made (on road) suction cup GPS units obsolete. I have 4 garmins in the family, and none of us use them anymore. The iphone/google maps does a much better job, and since it's bluetooth, you can actually pipe it through your Jeep speakers if you have uconnect.

And use your phone while driving? Illegal.

I think they want something more then an app on a smartphone. MTG has 2 iPhones so if he was happy with the apps he would use them. He is looking for more. :thumb:

But I understand what your saying, I use my phone way more then my GPS but I still want an in dash GPS.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Honestly, if you don't want an indash, just use a good app like google maps on your smartphone. IMHO, smartphones basically made (on road) suction cup GPS units obsolete. I have 4 garmins in the family, and none of us use them anymore. The iphone/google maps does a much better job, and since it's bluetooth, you can actually pipe it through your Jeep speakers if you have uconnect.

I don't need a map for on the road where I live. I want it for offroad purposes. Mainly I need one with a breadcrumb feature so my dumb ass can find my way home if need be. :cheesy:

I would like one where I could program in trails and/or GPS coordinates so I can appear to know where I am going to. :thumb:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
And use your phone while driving? Illegal.

I think they want something more then an app on a smartphone. MTG has 2 iPhones so if he was happy with the apps he would use them. He is looking for more. :thumb:

But I understand what your saying, I use my phone way more then my GPS but I still want an in dash GPS.

I am not aware of any laws dictating the use of a cellular device for GPS. The law is for talking on the phone. You can have a phone on a mount with the GPS going. I'd love to see a cop write me a ticket for that.

I know you are from Cali, where you can get a ticket for living. :D I was comparing the phone GPS units to the likes of garmins, not the full fledged in dash units. ;)

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I don't need a map for on the road where I live. I want it for offroad purposes. Mainly I need one with a breadcrumb feature so my dumb ass can find my way home if need be. :cheesy:

I would like one where I could program in trails and/or GPS coordinates so I can appear to know where I am going to. :thumb:

Well, that rules out any of the phone and phone based GPS systems, since they rely in cellular signal for GPS location. Let me find a few units that allow breadcrumbing, and I'll post them up for you.

JKbrick

Is there a way to make the uconnect work in my 09? The radio has the button but it won't hook to my iPhone 5

Sharkey

Word Ninja
My iPhone 3s worked with unconnect in my '09. Don't know about a 5 though.

Edit: I did have the nav unit.

Devallee

I have a kenwood DNX6190HD and I have absolutely no complaints so far. Has the ability to put in GPS coordinates and works well with my stock speakers. Has just about everything you'll ever need and more in one unit. I have the backup camera installed in mine as well. Works like a charm :thumb:

bharkin

No nav but it is the better radio, I'll keep trying. Thanks

I have the same problem. You have to buy the Uconnect kit from your dealer or eBay.... runs around 350 at the dealer plus installation, he said something about having to activate it through their dealer computer system....

13JKUR

The breadcrumb feature on the 730 is useless as I found out this last week in Moab. I tried to use it on area BFE, we wheeled all day and I decided to take an easier way back out separate from the rest of my group. I was using the bread crumbs to get out only to find out it was off by a 1/4 mile and after taking about 5 different trails and then backtracking I found my way out. Just my two cents. I wouldn't trust it on the factory 730.

Rob

Well, that rules out any of the phone and phone based GPS systems, since they rely in cellular signal for GPS location. Let me find a few units that allow breadcrumbing, and I'll post them up for you.

Iphone 4 or better are true GPS (dont need wireless towers). You do have to download the maps of the area your going to be in ahead of time though. I think the newer droid and other phones are true GPS now also but I couldnt say for sure.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Iphone 4 or better are true GPS (dont need wireless towers). You do have to download the maps of the area your going to be in ahead of time though. I think the newer droid and other phones are true GPS now also but I couldnt say for sure.

Learn something new everyday. :thumb:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Where do you download the maps?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
You can get an app called PDF Maps and get them through the app itself. You can try and find specific maps online, but it requires a lot of hunting.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You can get an app called PDF Maps and get them through the app itself. You can try and find specific maps online, but it requires a lot of hunting.

Thought that would be the case. Ill stick with my paper maps for the off the chart stuff for now. :thumb:

BBrown626

The iPhone uses GPS for GPS and has for a few generations. I download maps and navigate away up the Sierras with zero cell phone signal.
The navigation app on iPhone 5 is great for turn-by-turn directions, but GiaGPS or others with downloaded maps, breadcrumbs and other features are great for off-road use.

Here is one app I have used based on WAYALIFE's recommendation...http://www.gaiagps.com/

GPSKit is my favorite https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gps-kit-offline-gps-tracker/id287909017?mt=8

Last edited:
Top Bottom