installing coast front driveshaft

jeeeep

Hooked
Front DS arrived today Coast 1310 - I've read through the install guide but also found an older thread that talks about dropping the shaft with each oil change to grease the center ball of the double cardan should I grease it before installing it?

There is a zerk fitting on the spline - what type grease should I use on this?

also saw where some are putting silicone on the yoke before it's installed - is this to control leaking?

Thanks for the input :beer:

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Front DS arrived today Coast 1310 - I've read through the install guide but also found an older thread that talks about dropping the shaft with each oil change to grease the center ball of the double cardan should I grease it before installing it?

There is a zerk fitting on the spline - what type grease should I use on this?

also saw where some are putting silicone on the yoke before it's installed - is this to control leaking?

Thanks for the input :beer:

The zerk is for the spline where it extends and contracts. There is no way to grease the center ball on the Coast as it is sealed up. Better to just rebuild it after 20K or so.

jeeeep

Hooked
replace after only 20000 miles? I thought spicer and neapco were top shelf parts, I would expect them to last longer than 20000 miles.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
replace after only 20000 miles? I thought spicer and neapco were top shelf parts, I would expect them to last longer than 20000 miles.

They are top shelf parts and they do last longer, it really depends on where you live and the kind of trails you run. If you lived up in the rust belt, replacing them once every 2 years or 30,000 miles is what I typically recommend. Being that you live out in TX, they'll last a lot longer. But, like any moving part and one that spins as fast as a drive shaft u-joint, it will wear out and will need to be replaced as a part of routine maintenance.

Maertz

Banned
Anyone have a ballpark cost to reshaft them? If not i will be calling then later this week. I need to get one about 3" longer for my rear stretch. Also not sure on others set ups but on mine i had to stretch the front an inch as the front driveshaft was my limiting factor when the driver side fully drooped. Just a heads up may not effect all set ups though?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
Do I need to grease anything before installing it? looks like it's already greased.

What about silicon on the spline is that necessary? looks like that would just make for more work when needing to remove it.

Maertz

Banned
I didnt do either if them i did however have to regrease after i realized that at full flex the driveshaft compressed all the way and pushed a ton of grease out. You should be good to go out if the box

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom