Ball Joints - which one

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Although I recognize Dynatrac as being the top of the line I'm not, at present time, ready to purchase those AND the wheel spacers and ARB Twin air compressor that are on my list. So with that being said, which of the intermediate range ball joints are the best for the money?

So far I am leaning towards Synergy since they are greasable on the vehicle and seem to get good reviews. If anyone has experience with Synergy and other ball joints (of similar cost) and can impart some wisdom on me please do. I am not sure how long my stock ball joints will last but I think I'm starting to have problems with them. I tested them out yesterday and probably only have about 1/8" movement when wiggled in a vertical motion.

The test I did was jack one side at a time and place one hand on top and one on bottom and wiggle the tire. If there is a better test let me know.

Thanks!

Although I recognize Dynatrac as being the top of the line I'm not, at present time, ready to purchase those AND the wheel spacers and ARB Twin air compressor that are on my list. So with that being said, which of the intermediate range ball joints are the best for the money?

So far I am leaning towards Synergy since they are greasable on the vehicle and seem to get good reviews. If anyone has experience with Synergy and other ball joints (of similar cost) and can impart some wisdom on me please do. I am not sure how long my stock ball joints will last but I think I'm starting to have problems with them. I tested them out yesterday and probably only have about 1/8" movement when wiggled in a vertical motion.

The test I did was jack one side at a time and place one hand on top and one on bottom and wiggle the tire. If there is a better test let me know.

Thanks!

I have heard good things about the MOOG products as a whole. I am not sure many are running them in JKs but in most of their vehicle applications, they have had good reviews.

munstie

Running Synergy in mine for about 4000 miles now and no issues only two wheeling trips on them though.

biggy

Thanks!

If your getting 1/8 movement by rocking the tire with you hands at the 12 and 6 position then it is your unit bearing that has the problem. There should be no movement at all. To check the ball joint lift the tire just off the ground and use a pry bar to lift the tire up and down. Have someone do that while you view the ball joint. I have synergy ball joints and they seem to work well.

bob-o12jk

Banned
Just get the prosteers. They are strong, rebuildable and will be the last set you.will ever have to buy :D

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
If your getting 1/8 movement by rocking the tire with you hands at the 12 and 6 position then it is your unit bearing that has the problem. There should be no movement at all. To check the ball joint lift the tire just off the ground and use a pry bar to lift the tire up and down. Have someone do that while you view the ball joint. I have synergy ball joints and they seem to work well.

Yes hands at 12 and 6 and that is where I'm getting the 1/8" wiggle. I'm going to have to look up unit bearing. :blush:

I will go out and try the pry bar method as suggested and get back to you.

biggy

Yes hands at 12 and 6 and that is where I'm getting the 1/8" wiggle. I'm going to have to look up unit bearing. :blush:

I will go out and try the pry bar method as suggested and get back to you.

If your just getting the wiggle from the tire only when using your hands then I would say its your unit bearing on its way out. I had to replace my driver side at 30000. Seems to usually be the driver side that goes first from other posts I have read in the past

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
If your just getting the wiggle from the tire only when using your hands then I would say its your unit bearing on its way out. I had to replace my driver side at 30000. Seems to usually be the driver side that goes first from other posts I have read in the past

Holy crap those bastards are expensive!! I just googled unit bearing and the PS ones came up. One is as expensive as a set of Pro-steers... :icon_crazy:

biggy

Holy crap those bastards are expensive!! I just googled unit bearing and the PS ones came up. One is as expensive as a set of Pro-steers... :icon_crazy:

I think you might be looking at the wrong part . I bought Timken unit bearing for both sides and it was under 300 bucks for the pair.

jeeeep

Hooked
are you having issues? how many miles are on your rig?

if it is a failed unit bearing you won't have to pull/push on it with hardly any force, if you have the tire off the ground you can push/pull easily from the top of the tire with both hands on the same side, it'll move easily

Last edited:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
are you having issues?

Well that is subjective. :blush:

I thought it was my ball joints but after Biggy's comments I am leaning towards the other thingys... Unit bearings.. :idontknow:

I am going to have to do the other suggested test with the crow bar for the ball joints I guess.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Just get the prosteers. They are strong, rebuildable and will be the last set you.will ever have to buy :D

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Obviously you didn't read the very first line... :idontknow:

Although I recognize Dynatrac as being the top of the line I'm not, at present time...

Are you trying to be nice now or something?

Tranquillity

How come some people's ball joint last less than 10k? I still have oem on my 2011 jku and I put around 45k on it. They're still fine... :thinking:

Top Bottom