TUCKED or UNTUCKED : Aftermarket Jeep Products Survey

TUCKED or UNTUCKED - What "Look" do You Prefer?

• TUCKED - Full fenders and tires under them

Votes: 163 40.3%
  • UNTUCKED - Trimmed, flat or no fenders and tires sticking far out

Votes: 241 59.7%

• Total voters

rabbitdave

I voted tucked because of the practicality of width and doing lots of single track in the trees and mud. So if you have wheels that stick out much you will just not fit in some places (Redbird, Interlake). I'm all for flat fenders and stubby bumpers. And I really like the look of a wide track and the stability on the rocks and in ruts. Untucked is so much more mall crawler.

Lesterms

I voted for Tucked just because I like to limit the a amount of dirt & mud I spay up on the side of the Jeep, Especially on the road .
thanks

GraniteWilly

Tucked has my vote, it just seems a bit more finished.

Granted that all changes with less backspacing and wider axles. If tires are going to stick out more than an inch or so, I think flat fenders are the ticket.

I like the un-tucked look it gives a more aggressive feel and helps with up travel and better clearance, if clearance wasn't an issue i still be with un-tucked as the look and aggressive feel.

jonathanbottoms

Untucked by way of narrow fenders will be my next big cosmetic change. I love the "look" of a wider stance, without wider axles, spacers, or ridiculous wheel offsets. Makes the JK platform look like it's ready for anything ✊🏻

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

H20-U-UP-2

Method to the madness..Flat fenders while the tires stick out have the benefits of a low center of gravity and allowing for more articulation while running a worthy size tire and lift. Everyone has their own idea of how there rig should and will look like. That's what makes a Jeep an even better vehicle to customize to your needs and wants. Therefore a Jeep isn't just a Jeep....it's a WAYALIFE. Yeah that's kinda kissass but true ;)

Taz81

Me personally i perfer the stock, not flat look. it's just a natural look. but then through my years always been one for the "sleeper" looks when comes to everything. Natural looks better to me. But it's to each their own lol :doh::dont_tell:

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
I voted tucked, I do like the clean lines of the jk. Although the flat fenders I want, hopefully keep it tucked decent.

critter812

I like the Idea of LCG so for me I like to keep my lift as low as possible and tires as big as possible. and ripped 2 sets of fenders off so had to go flat!

dorocks

Depends

I like to keep rocks off my vehicle. If tires go beyond fenders like my previous one did rocks would fly up and land on roof.
Folks that do the cut off the stock fenders make their Jeep look old or Walmartian in my opinion. Spend some money and get some good aftermarket ones.
My current Rubicon is stock so I left the fenders alone even though I sized up the tires a bit. And put on some Poison Spyder Brawler bumpers so I could tow the Jeep behind the camper.

HostileJK

Tucked

My reason is I do a lot of highway commuting with mine and have thrown rocks out in front of myself and cracked my windshield, tucked makes for a lessor chance of this happening :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think the tucked look actually is what I would go for. My only real thug against it most times is it can look strange with a stubby front and rear

I think up front it looks fine but it can be a bit odd in the rear with a stubby bumper. If the rear fender were tapered in as opposed to ending flat, do you think that would help make a difference for you?

I like the tucked look of a 11" wide tire and the taller the better. Pizza Cutter style.

I've noticed that a lot of people in Canada like this look.

I like the tucked look.

Any specific reason why or just like the look?

I voted tucked, but mainly because I think "no" fenders do not look good (even with deletes). I like a fender with most lateral coverage of the tires (which helps with water/mud spray of course and would get you through inspection).

That said/voted, I do prefer the more aggressive, flatter and slimmer aftermarket fenders over the closed/vertical stock or Mopar highline look.

So "closed" but only in the sense of covering most of the lateral width of the tire surface (with a flatter look and real high clearance).

Thank you for this. That was very informative. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Untuck without a doubt. But it has to be proportionate with the wheel gap and even tire size.

Sorry, could you be more specific on this? Proportionate in what way?

Obviously just my opinion, but I voted tucked, although a third option would have been better (stock fenders with a slight poking out of the tire.) To expand on the opinion, first of all, the vehicle looks "finished." Second, the larger the wheel opening, the smaller the tire looks, because your reference point changes. If I was an aftermarket company, I'd recognize the fact that the majority of wrangler owners lift/big tire their vehicles for the look more than the capability. As someone that owned a JK on 33s and now another on 35s, and someone that posts a lot of forums, I saw the commentary and reactions I got from people.....

This is my old JK on 33s on 15s, with only a leveling kit...the minimal space between tire and fender make it LOOK like the tires are larger than they are.....because they poked out a tad, as well as were close to the stock fender.

And I used to get lots of PMs asking me how big those tires are, how it looks so good, etc. Now obviously you know those arent big tires, but you're not the mass public. Others have rigs with cut fenders and larger lifts with larger tires, but they LOOKED smaller because of the extra space...like a clown car on small wheels. Having the tires poke out just a tad gives the vehicle a more muscular stance (remember the pontiac wider is better commercials?).

On my current JK, I had to either trim my fenders or lift the vehicle to clear the 35s, and chose to lift because again, the excess space around the tire made the tires appear smaller...but with minimal fender gap they maintain their large appearance.

This train of thought carries over to the sports car world, where people slam their cars to have minimal fender gap so that their wheels appear larger (rims), but in the jeep world, we look for the tire to appear larger. Again, just trying to be helpful, not stating any of the above as fact, just my opinion. :thumb:

Jim's rig you posted to define "tucked" has the perfect amount of tire poking out, about 1" past the fender line. So if that's your definition of tucked, you can ignore my comments on the third option. However, the stock JK is too tucked, and looks weird, in which case my third option comment stands.

Wow, thank you for detailing your answer on this. :thumb:

I prefer the factory fenders chopped and the tires sticking out as fast as I can ge them (legally). Not really a fan of no fenders because I don’t think it looks good. The only jeep I think I like the little to no fender look is GCM2 rig with the evo builder corners on the rear and the narrow front corners he had.

as for the mopar high clearance fenders, I like what they accomplish but I think that they look a little silly with how high they look. On the new JL I think they look a little better with how high they sit but not on the jk.

So, I don't know if you know but the JL fenders are actually a bit narrower than the JK and the axles on a Rubicon are wider. If you were to get bigger tires on a JL or a JK with this kind of stance from the factory, would you want a wider axle or wheels with less back spacing that would push your tires out further or, would you want to try and keep the same look?

Plastic is the problem. Either way with plastic you might as well have no fenders.... a good look as well.

The JL fenders are apparently made of aluminum. Would this make a difference for you on it or on a JK?

ZachJKUR

I'm stuck somewhere in between. I definitely like the look of being wide, but I wouldn't like the look of no flares at all. 3" of width outside the flare if I had to but a number on it. That's about what I ran on my last jeep with trimmed fenders and I loved it.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
While I don’t hate the untucked/cut/flat fenders, I prefer the tucked because I think it has the appearance of looking more finished. BUT I do like my tires sticking out to the sides about an inch. Given the option I usually prefer to keep things as factory as possible.

wkhovis

Untucked...

I prefer untucked with thin steel fenders. I decided to paint mine and lineX the outside.

Attachments

• 51DE2F2C-953C-44B7-9F7B-960CA608508F.jpg
    51DE2F2C-953C-44B7-9F7B-960CA608508F.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 929E053E-1AF3-4819-BC63-2C7C5588E54C.jpg
    929E053E-1AF3-4819-BC63-2C7C5588E54C.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 135

JL60

Jl60

Tucked after all the fenders are for a reason. Remember when you were a kid and you took your fenders off your bike because it looked good. Then you road it on the wet pavement and had the wet strip up your back. Then the light bulb came on. Function not looks.

Top Bottom