TUCKED or UNTUCKED : Aftermarket Jeep Products Survey

TUCKED or UNTUCKED - What "Look" do You Prefer?

• TUCKED - Full fenders and tires under them

Votes: 163 40.3%
  • UNTUCKED - Trimmed, flat or no fenders and tires sticking far out

Votes: 241 59.7%

• Total voters

Gross-JK

Untucked

I like the look of the untucked fender. I do wish there was a way to keep the turn signals out, better visibility for others when I want to change lanes might help.

AdrockTT

I voted tucked, but mainly because I think "no" fenders do not look good (even with deletes). I like a fender with most lateral coverage of the tires (which helps with water/mud spray of course and would get you through inspection).

That said/voted, I do prefer the more aggressive, flatter and slimmer aftermarket fenders over the closed/vertical stock or Mopar highline look.

So "closed" but only in the sense of covering most of the lateral width of the tire surface (with a flatter look and real high clearance).

jorgelrod

Hooked
I can go with OEM look or flat fender look, but I prefer the wheel tucked under said fender, not very fond of the no fender or short fender with a lot of wheel sticking out.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Obviously just my opinion, but I voted tucked, although a third option would have been better (stock fenders with a slight poking out of the tire.) To expand on the opinion, first of all, the vehicle looks "finished." Second, the larger the wheel opening, the smaller the tire looks, because your reference point changes. If I was an aftermarket company, I'd recognize the fact that the majority of wrangler owners lift/big tire their vehicles for the look more than the capability. As someone that owned a JK on 33s and now another on 35s, and someone that posts a lot of forums, I saw the commentary and reactions I got from people.....

This is my old JK on 33s on 15s, with only a leveling kit...the minimal space between tire and fender make it LOOK like the tires are larger than they are.....because they poked out a tad, as well as were close to the stock fender.
8733622309_882b6af77e_b.jpg

And I used to get lots of PMs asking me how big those tires are, how it looks so good, etc. Now obviously you know those arent big tires, but you're not the mass public. Others have rigs with cut fenders and larger lifts with larger tires, but they LOOKED smaller because of the extra space...like a clown car on small wheels. Having the tires poke out just a tad gives the vehicle a more muscular stance (remember the pontiac wider is better commercials?).

On my current JK, I had to either trim my fenders or lift the vehicle to clear the 35s, and chose to lift because again, the excess space around the tire made the tires appear smaller...but with minimal fender gap they maintain their large appearance.

16375398800_abbbba5459_b.jpg

This train of thought carries over to the sports car world, where people slam their cars to have minimal fender gap so that their wheels appear larger (rims), but in the jeep world, we look for the tire to appear larger. Again, just trying to be helpful, not stating any of the above as fact, just my opinion. :thumb:

Jim's rig you posted to define "tucked" has the perfect amount of tire poking out, about 1" past the fender line. So if that's your definition of tucked, you can ignore my comments on the third option. However, the stock JK is too tucked, and looks weird, in which case my third option comment stands.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I prefer the factory fenders chopped and the tires sticking out as fast as I can ge them (legally). Not really a fan of no fenders because I don’t think it looks good. The only jeep I think I like the little to no fender look is GCM2 rig with the evo builder corners on the rear and the narrow front corners he had.

as for the mopar high clearance fenders, I like what they accomplish but I think that they look a little silly with how high they look. On the new JL I think they look a little better with how high they sit but not on the jk.

Lockem

Tucked or untucked

Plastic is the problem. Either way with plastic you might as well have no fenders.... a good look as well.

JS-CHLLN

Survey answer

After ripping off several fenders, i prefer the flat. I trimmed my originals and live them! Thanks for showing how to do!

I think for me it depends on the build. The Flat fenders look great when a larger tire is there to fill it up a bit, along with coilovers and a good looking stubby front bumper. That being said, I am running the factory flares because I think that it provides for a simple and clean look for a modest lift and tire combo. In my case, 3 inches and 35's. However I will be trimming them flat once I go to a 37 for some clearance and a more complete look. I do wonder if the trimmed flares would be a little flimsy in a good head wind but not enough to sway my decision. I do think that the expensive aftermarket flat flares are a bit overrated and to be honest, I have not seen a set that looks as good as how you guys have them trimmed on Moby and Rubicat.:yup:

BaddestCross

I voted tucked. I prefer the more finished look and function of full fenders when it comes to keeping stuff from flying back onto the Jeep and things behind you.

On the other hand, I prefer a low center of gravity over a jacked up Jeep to clear huge tires, so if I had to go with flat fenders, it'd be with metal or a well-formed plastic. I don't like the cut factory flare look, personally.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

farrier

tucked, just is a cleaner look over all with any fender, also helps keep the mud stains off my soft tops

stokescr

Tucked or Untucked

20171218093404-f070458d.jpg

Hey Everyone, Cindy and I are conducting another super simple survey to help us better understand the members here on WAYALIFE and how decisions are made regarding aftermarket Jeep products. If you're willing and have the time, we'd be grateful if you could please answer our simple 2 question poll. Unfortunately, you will need to do this from the full site as the poll will not work on our app.

While we would ALSO love for you to expand on your thoughts regarding this question, what we're really hoping for are the statistics that the survey will provide. To help make your efforts worth your while, we will be giving away WAYALIFE shot glasses to random members who participate in our poll.

Thanks for your help!

Tucked....I think it looks better

Top Bottom