Motech LS Swap Gremlins

MOTOWN

If you have been following the thread since it started, how have you been off the computer and enjoying the beautiful weather you are having? I’m so confused.

Cell phones , iPads you know modern tech is a beautiful thing! I guess a good pissing match every now and then can be entertaining:cheesy::clap2:

SLO

4.88 is a nice ratio if you spend a lot of time on pavement but with 40" tires, you really need to be running a higher ratio if you want to play. I run 5.38's on Moby.

Eddie, any regrets going with 5.38’s? I’m ordering gears today so Robbie can have them swapped out and can’t decide between 5.13 and 5.38. Mine is set up very similar to yours. Do you feel like it revs too high on the freeway over 70?

I have been driving my wife’s JL back home which has nothing more than 37’s and a 2.5” lift. I’m going back on all the same passes in the same heat and this thing is amazing. It’s making it hard to want to keep the JK and not get another JL to build.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, any regrets going with 5.38’s? I’m ordering gears today so Robbie can have them swapped out and can’t decide between 5.13 and 5.38. Mine is set up very similar to yours. Do you feel like it revs too high on the freeway over 70?

I have been driving my wife’s JL back home which has nothing more than 37’s and a 2.5” lift. I’m going back on all the same passes in the same heat and this thing is amazing. It’s making it hard to want to keep the JK and not get another JL to build.

We had 5.38s before we got the LS. If we hadn't, I might of gone with 5.13's. But, I can't say that I regret what we have.

Cheeseburger

I have the 8 speed and 5.38’s. I would go with 5.13’s if I were to do it again.

You can use the grim reaper gear ratio calculator to see what your rpm will be at whatever speed you want.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

If i remember correctly I’m turning around 2,300 rpm at 70. It’s ok, but that’s high if you do a lot of highway cruising.

SLO

The 8 speed is going to give you different RPM’s than the 6 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

^ This. I drove a LT with a 8L90 and 5.38’s when I dropped mine off at Motech. It was on tons and 40’s and It threw you back in your seat in 1st through 4th. Didn’t get it above that. I would personally do 5.13’s with an LT in 40’s though.

Brute

Hooked
I have the 8 speed and 5.38’s. I would go with 5.13’s if I were to do it again.

You can use the grim reaper gear ratio calculator to see what your rpm will be at whatever speed you want.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

If i remember correctly I’m turning around 2,300 rpm at 70. It’s ok, but that’s high if you do a lot of highway cruising.

I wish I could get 2300 rpm at 70 mph in any of my jeeps...my two JK's with 5 speed autos here in WA are turning 2500 rpms with 4.88 & 39's (Hellcat) and 2900 rpm's with 5.38 & 40's (Brute)...

Sharkey

Word Ninja

It’s admittedly a different animal, but 2,300 at 70 is damn near what a 3.6 Pentastar does in a JKUR with stock gears (4.10) and 35’s. That’s nothing for the Pentastar and, if anything, I’d want lower gears (higher ratio).

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

All this talk about 6.2’s and 8 speed transmissions and all I can think of is... I just want my 3.6 to stop sounding like an angry cricket tap dancing on firecrackers.

Ddays

Hooked
All this talk about 6.2’s and 8 speed transmissions and all I can think of is... I just want my 3.6 to stop sounding like an angry cricket tap dancing on firecrackers.

Just hook 'er up behind the motorhome and take it for a spin with it still in 4hi. That'll take care of that noise :thumb:

Just hook 'er up behind the motorhome and take it for a spin with it still in 4hi. That'll take care of that noise :thumb:

Thought has crossed my mind. Especially since no sooner did I get a new motor from none other than SLO himself, I’m now having transmission issues!!! Go figure.

Last edited:

SLO

Thought has crossed my mind. Especially since no sooner did I get a new motor from none other than SLO himself, I’m now having transmission issues!!! Go figure.

I have one of those down at Motech as well. [emoji16]

It’s yours if you want it!

Top Bottom