Gladiator Tow Thread

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Tonneau cover is garbage. Spray in bed liner is garbage. 8.4” monitor is almost a must.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I wish the 8.4” monitor was an option on the Sport S. Maybe it will be available by time I get this? As for the bedliner and cover, I will probably go aftermarket as I would like a locking cover and Linex seems to be the standard. I have cost in their as place holders.

WJCO

Meme King
I wish the 8.4” monitor was an option on the Sport S. Maybe it will be available by time I get this? As for the bedliner and cover, I will probably go aftermarket as I would like a locking cover and Linex seems to be the standard. I have cost in their as place holders.

Lots of feedback on OEM cover and liner being sub par. You can get higher quality from the aftermarket for literally the same price. 8.4 only available on overland and Rubicon. 7 inch available for sports.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
And for what you are going to pay for a airstream you can get a decent sized class C motorhome

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Owning an Airstream is a lot like owning a Jeep Wrangler / Gladiator. I appreciate the history of the trailer along with the iconic styling. That’s a big part of why I want to couple the pair together. An icon pulling an icon. What could be better?

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Wow, a lot of responses regarding my plans and I’m glad for it because like I mentioned, I’m not an expert.

Thanks to jeffd for posting up the capacity published in the owners manual. I down loaded it and found the following:

View attachment 334315

Sport S with Max Tow has a combined GVWR of 12,800lbs. Subtract the Gladiator GVWR of 6,250 and that leaves 6,550 for towing if the truck is loaded to the maximum weight. It’s misleading that Jeep advertises 7,650lbs, but it would be possible under the right circumstances (ie nothing else in the truck).

Unfortunately both the 27’ and 25’ trailers would be too close to or maybe even over the combined GVWR when loaded. If we decide to go this route then a bigger truck is the prudent thing to do although less fun!

At this point I’m still considering the 23’ and more specifically the Globetrotter 23FB Twin. This trailer has a dry weight of 5,300 (with 60lbs propane and batteries, no water) and a max weight (GVWR) of 6,300. Obviously, the black and gray tanks would be empty or mostly empty while traveling, but I would have some fresh water on board up to a couple hundred pounds to possibly the maximum of 39 gallons or 325lbs albeit unlikely.

Again, thanks for all the responses as they have given me even more to consider!

The 5300 lb trailer would be much better. Still, if you are going to put a lot of miles on it trailering, I think you’ll wear your drive train out way early.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I love the idea of that setup! If towing power is an issue, get a basic sport and swap in a v8 :crazyeyes:

The basic Sport with Max Tow would be 9k less expensive, but I like and want all the options available with the Sport S. Heck, looking at it more the Rubicon combined truck and trailer capacity is only 350lbs less. I would like the larger radio monitor and other Rubicon goodies, but having a little safety margin is more important.

A V8 swap down the road is an option once the vehicle gets past the warranty period though [emoji6].

sipafz

Caught the Bug
The 5300 lb trailer would be much better. Still, if you are going to put a lot of miles on it trailering, I think you’ll wear your drive train out way early.

Have a little more faith!

More seriously, we’re more the National Park / State Park types that park for 14 to 30 days. Not the 1000 Trails type that move every 4 days to camp for “free”.

Maybe 15,000 miles a year.

Just for fun:

https://youtu.be/n0rnwpmtWsU

Last edited:

TrailHunter

Hooked
I'm guessing you really want a JT.... so I think you should get one. Once you have it, you can rent a 23' trailer of similar weight for the weekend, and take it on a trip. Then you will know.... probably within the first 50 miles.... And at that point you can adjust your camping rig to your JT... not the other way around.

My buddies and I used to rent 23' camping trailers a couple times a year a tow them 6 hours to the Sand Dunes loaded with Gear. Our trucks were always 3/4 tons with diesels or big blocks that were setup for towing.... You could definitely feel the weight.... especially in the wind.

Exodus 4x4

I'm not gonna lie, I've been finding the marketing by FCA regarding Jeeps to be pretty misleading at best to down right wrong lately.

Launch Editions.

By the way, Tony with the Clifford Jeep is getting his launch edition finally. It’ll be here in “2 weeks” according to the dealership...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Launch Editions.

By the way, Tony with the Clifford Jeep is getting his launch edition finally. It’ll be here in “2 weeks” according to the dealership...

:cheesy: LOL - what a fuckin joke!

Not gonna lie, I'm still pissed at FCA.

G-mansjk

As much as I hate recommending it, shittybuilt has a pretty cool offroad trailer. Or you can build your own for way less then a airstream or there are way cheaper trailers with offroad capabilities on the market. You may sacrifice size and creature comforts a bit but to be able to pull it with a jeep and still play I think it would be worth looking at.... But that's just me... Screenshot_20190909-070916_Chrome.jpg

That's right I'm a window licker, I can't spell, my grammar sucks!!!!

sipafz

Caught the Bug
As much as I hate recommending it, shittybuilt has a pretty cool offroad trailer. Or you can build your own for way less then a airstream or there are way cheaper trailers with offroad capabilities on the market. You may sacrifice size and creature comforts a bit but to be able to pull it with a jeep and still play I think it would be worth looking at.... But that's just me... View attachment 334395

That's right I'm a window licker, I can't spell, my grammar sucks!!!!

Thats nice for weekend camping, but we are planning to more or less live in the airstream. We hope to be out for months at a time visiting National and State Parks all over the country, camping for 14 to 30 days each depending on restrictions, following warm weather. I’m not looking to go off road with the trailer, just exploring from camp with the truck leaving the top and doors at the campground.

The cost of the Airstream or the truck is not my primary concern, living a life of adventure is. I have plenty of time to let these details develop and I’m sure many changes will be made along the way. For now I hope that as more people get Gladiators, they will post up their towing experiences good or bad.

nbunga

Caught the Bug
:cheesy: LOL - what a fuckin joke!

Not gonna lie, I'm still pissed at FCA.

I have a friend who has been waiting on his launch edition also. He had to reorder a few weeks ago. Apparently, according to the dealer, the factory is having issues with the granite crystal paint matching between the truck and the hard top. He ended up going with Billet Silver instead.

Ddays

Hooked
I'm guessing you really want a JT.... so I think you should get one. Once you have it, you can rent a 23' trailer of similar weight for the weekend, and take it on a trip. Then you will know.... probably within the first 50 miles.... And at that point you can adjust your camping rig to your JT... not the other way around.

My buddies and I used to rent 23' camping trailers a couple times a year a tow them 6 hours to the Sand Dunes loaded with Gear. Our trucks were always 3/4 tons with diesels or big blocks that were setup for towing.... You could definitely feel the weight.... especially in the wind.

Yup - this^^ If you're really gonna do the Airstream, Sipafz, wait until the weather is really shitty to try out the camper. You'd really rather see how well the combo does in adverse conditions rather than find out in the middle of Kansas that you're driving a white-knuckle handful.

Abntroop

I think there’s a reason I see retiree’s pulling their jeeps behind their RV’s regularly and rarely see jeeps towing trailers. I wouldn’t want to tow anything more than my setup. The only exceptions I have seen have been an airstream Bambi a couple of times and several T@B’s. Neither of which are “live for months in” trailers. Given your “what we are going to do” plan, an RV with a towed Jeep sounds better, more comfortable, and easier then expecting miracles from a drivetrain ultimately not built for what you want out of it, or at least you will either have to sell the Jeep or downsize the trailer so far that the lack of comfort/amenities will kill that dream in short order.

Top Bottom