Coffee Drinkers & Bean Grinders

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I have a friend with a coffee plantation on the Big Island...trees are mid slope with just enough stress to produce intense coffee berries grown in the volcanic soil...even when I'm wheelin' & camping, I will fresh grind Hawaii dark roast beans and put them in the metal French press...best way to start the day, every day.

That sounds awesome...

Brute

Hooked
Is it a blade grinder or a bur grinder? I was schooled by a roaster one day that the bur creates a more jagged and coarse edge, forcing the water to flow THROUGH the grind rather than AROUND the smooth and more rounded grind that comes from a blade grinder. Yes, it was a very intense conversation and exactly what one would expect from an Austin hippy burnout turned professional coffee roaster. Nonetheless I was convinced to give it a shot and I will say that there is a strong possibility that he is right. When I have the time to put that much effort into my coffee, I bur grind it and use and Aeropress coffee maker. View attachment 222863
This no doubt has been the biggest game changer to my coffee experience and I highly recommend it.

Bur grinder is the way to go...consistent grind.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Do yourself a huge favor and get a cheap blade grinder at Kohl's or someplace similar ($25 or so) and get a small bag of whatever blend beans you like at the grocery store. I promise you will not want to go back to pre-ground coffee.

Thanks DDays!

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
Dude, you really need to try.

My wife and I have some decent coffee shops nearby, and it plays into my laziness when it comes to cooking/food prep. I'm not opposed to going to a Wawa (the local convenience store that's weirdly loved by Philadelphia area people... It's almost like the sort of love we have for the local sports teams), because I grew up drinking their coffee. But, we're sort of becoming foodies, I guess, especially our last trip to Italy last January and the espresso/cappuccino bars. Home grinding would be a next logical step.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
I'm a fan of Intelligensia, Verve, and Temple. I had the Honey Badger from Intelligensia as an espresso last year and it was amazing.

My brother in law bought a roaster for his last deployment and learned to roast his own beans. Sweet Maria's out of Oakland sells green beans that you roast yourself. Nothing better than super freshly roasted beans ground perfectly to match the brew method.

Wow. I can barely find the energy to count out scoops for the Mr. Coffee style machine I have, some mornings...

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Is it a blade grinder or a bur grinder? I was schooled by a roaster one day that the bur creates a more jagged and coarse edge, forcing the water to flow THROUGH the grind rather than AROUND the smooth and more rounded grind that comes from a blade grinder. Yes, it was a very intense conversation and exactly what one would expect from an Austin hippy burnout turned professional coffee roaster. Nonetheless I was convinced to give it a shot and I will say that there is a strong possibility that he is right. When I have the time to put that much effort into my coffee, I bur grind it and use and Aeropress coffee maker. View attachment 222863
This no doubt has been the biggest game changer to my coffee experience and I highly recommend it.

It's a bur grinder.

Ddays

Hooked
My wife and I have some decent coffee shops nearby, and it plays into my laziness when it comes to cooking/food prep. I'm not opposed to going to a Wawa (the local convenience store that's weirdly loved by Philadelphia area people... It's almost like the sort of love we have for the local sports teams), because I grew up drinking their coffee. But, we're sort of becoming foodies, I guess, especially our last trip to Italy last January and the espresso/cappuccino bars. Home grinding would be a next logical step.

Getting a great cup of coffee at a coffee shop is always a fun experience. I wish I had one nearby but I live in the sticks and the local convenience store brews leave a lot to be desired. That's how I got started grinding my own.

Wawa's are great! We have Sheetz's on this side of the state and they're not bad either. Funny, those stores are crowded any time of the day. And I'm jealous - Philly's a great food town. Pittsburgh is getting there but nowhere to your level....

Getting a great cup of coffee at a coffee shop is always a fun experience. I wish I had one nearby but I live in the sticks and the local convenience store brews leave a lot to be desired. That's how I got started grinding my own.

Wawa's are great! We have Sheetz's on this side of the state and they're not bad either. Funny, those stores are crowded any time of the day. And I'm jealous - Philly's a great food town. Pittsburgh is getting there but nowhere to your level....

Sheetz is amazing. I went to Bloomsburg University in PA and we had one in town. MTO subs are the greatest invention ever...and Rita's of course.

r2fasani

Wow. I can barely find the energy to count out scoops for the Mr. Coffee style machine I have, some mornings...

I hear you. My wife and I typically just grind average store bought beans and French press it in the morning during the week. I buy small amounts of freshly roasted stuff (within a few days or so) and use an Hario pour over on the weekends for a treat. The extra time spent concentrating while the kids are silent and watching a cartoon is like meditation.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Yeah, baby, except my wife broke the glass receptacle on the bottom of my grinder. Got on on the way, though.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474335825.616423.jpg

Top Bottom