Coffee Drinkers & Bean Grinders

MrJ3sser

I am by no means a coffee connoisseur, but I will forever support Black Rifle Coffee Company. The things those guys do for the Veteran and LEO community is astounding. And god damn, their commercials are hilarious.

Exodus 4x4

I am a HUGE fan of whole bean coffee. Has Kyle7R found this thread yet?!

Currently I'm drinking Ruta Maya Dark Roast (Austin, Texas) but my all time favorite is pretty much any brew from Third Coast Roasters (also from Austin) every time I'm in town I always try to pick up a few pounds. :yep: there are a few Roasters local here in houston, but location and hours have yet to be convenient... Infact, so much so with traffic, getting coffee from Austin is actually less troublesome... :crazy:

One of the few kitchen appliances I can not live without is my Breville. It grinds the beans, drip brew or can set a steep... and it makes EXACTLY the same cup each day as long as you don't change anything. I set it up each time I change beans, tweak it out for the first few pots, then we are rocking and rolling until we change beans/roast again.
:thumb:

Is it a blade grinder or a bur grinder? I was schooled by a roaster one day that the bur creates a more jagged and coarse edge, forcing the water to flow THROUGH the grind rather than AROUND the smooth and more rounded grind that comes from a blade grinder. Yes, it was a very intense conversation and exactly what one would expect from an Austin hippy burnout turned professional coffee roaster. Nonetheless I was convinced to give it a shot and I will say that there is a strong possibility that he is right. When I have the time to put that much effort into my coffee, I bur grind it and use and Aeropress coffee maker. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473995721.180408.jpg
This no doubt has been the biggest game changer to my coffee experience and I highly recommend it.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Is it a blade grinder or a bur grinder? I was schooled by a roaster one day that the bur creates a more jagged and coarse edge, forcing the water to flow THROUGH the grind rather than AROUND the smooth and more rounded grind that comes from a blade grinder. Yes, it was a very intense conversation and exactly what one would expect from an Austin hippy burnout turned professional coffee roaster. Nonetheless I was convinced to give it a shot and I will say that there is a strong possibility that he is right. When I have the time to put that much effort into my coffee, I bur grind it and use and Aeropress coffee maker. View attachment 222863
This no doubt has been the biggest game changer to my coffee experience and I highly recommend it.

Interesting. You know, I'm not actually sure. Next time I need to add beans I'll take a look. One thing that I can not adjust is grind "size" or "fineness" or whatever you want to call it. But I wouldn't have thought HOW you grind the bean would make a difference... but if a hippy burnout turned professional coffee roaster said so, and you've tested the theory with promising results, maybe it's worth taking into account...

No joke that's a lot of work though... had to check it out, seems a little like hand made expresso??

https://youtu.be/e49L51T-ISE

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Do yourself a huge favor and get a cheap blade grinder at Kohl's or someplace similar ($25 or so) and get a small bag of whatever blend beans you like at the grocery store. I promise you will not want to go back to pre-ground coffee.

Is it a blade grinder or a bur grinder? I was schooled by a roaster one day that the bur creates a more jagged and coarse edge, forcing the water to flow THROUGH the grind rather than AROUND the smooth and more rounded grind that comes from a blade grinder. Yes, it was a very intense conversation and exactly what one would expect from an Austin hippy burnout turned professional coffee roaster. Nonetheless I was convinced to give it a shot and I will say that there is a strong possibility that he is right. When I have the time to put that much effort into my coffee, I bur grind it and use and Aeropress coffee maker.This no doubt has been the biggest game changer to my coffee experience and I highly recommend it.

I picked up a burr grinder a few years ago after it was recommended so strongly by a few coffee addicts I used to work with. Supposedly, they do not "burn" the beans like a blade grinder does and helps retain the "freshness" of the whole roasted bean.

I also have the aero press and I highly recommend it too. Its amazing how differently it can make the same coffee taste. It is tedious to do every morning but on the weekends it is awesome. :yup:

Last edited:

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Is it a blade grinder or a bur grinder? I was schooled by a roaster one day that the bur creates a more jagged and coarse edge, forcing the water to flow THROUGH the grind rather than AROUND the smooth and more rounded grind that comes from a blade grinder. Yes, it was a very intense conversation and exactly what one would expect from an Austin hippy burnout turned professional coffee roaster. Nonetheless I was convinced to give it a shot and I will say that there is a strong possibility that he is right. When I have the time to put that much effort into my coffee, I bur grind it and use and Aeropress coffee maker.

Seriously, you can make any dark roast taste awesome if it's fresh ground and you use an Aeropress. I still use a blade grinder though, I need to try the bur now that you've explained it like that.

Lots of good coffee brand recommendations here too.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I picked up a burr grinder a few years ago after it was recommended so strongly by a few coffee addicts I used to work with. Supposedly, they do not "burn" the beans like a blade grinder does and helps retain the "freshness" of the whole roasted bean.

I also have the aero press and I highly recommend it too. Its amazing how differently it can make the same coffee taste. It is a tedious to do every morning but on the weekends it is awesome. :yup:

I use the Aeropress every morning, I could do it in my sleep... because I pretty much have ;)

Exodus 4x4

No joke that's a lot of work though... had to check it out, seems a little like hand made expresso??

https://youtu.be/e49L51T-ISE

Ok, that video is way more involved than I have ever gotten with it. I always prepped the night before and by that I mean, had the pieces laid out. Heated the water using my Keurig, poured it in, stirred, and let it steep for a few while I finished getting ready for work. Pressed it real quick, threw the puck of coffee in the trash, gave it a rinse and was out the door. When I looked at that vs. a french press it really wasn't that much more work considering how much better it is. I also had a 50 minute commute through country roads so coffee had to be on point.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I commit the ultimate sin, & use a percolator. I like the old school taste of percolated coffee.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1474026714.568477.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
Is it a blade grinder or a bur grinder? I was schooled by a roaster one day that the bur creates a more jagged and coarse edge, forcing the water to flow THROUGH the grind rather than AROUND the smooth and more rounded grind that comes from a blade grinder. Yes, it was a very intense conversation and exactly what one would expect from an Austin hippy burnout turned professional coffee roaster. Nonetheless I was convinced to give it a shot and I will say that there is a strong possibility that he is right. When I have the time to put that much effort into my coffee, I bur grind it and use and Aeropress coffee maker.This no doubt has been the biggest game changer to my coffee experience and I highly recommend it.

I also have the aero press and I highly recommend it too. Its amazing how differently it can make the same coffee taste. It is tedious to do every morning but on the weekends it is awesome. :yup:

I use the Aeropress every morning, I could do it in my sleep... because I pretty much have ;)

I just ordered one of these from Amazon. I broke my french press and that looks like a good replacement. Glad you guys posted that!

I commit the ultimate sin, & use a percolator. I like the old school taste of percolated coffee.

Holy smokes! Blasphemer!

Kyle7R

I drink a ton of coffee, but I've never considered grinding beans.

Do yourself a huge favor and get a cheap blade grinder at Kohl's or someplace similar ($25 or so) and get a small bag of whatever blend beans you like at the grocery store. I promise you will not want to go back to pre-ground coffee.

This!
I did the same exact thing, and I keep my whole beans stored in the freezer.

I alternate between pour over, and French press. Just depending on what kinda mood I'm in ;)

Kyle7R

I am a HUGE fan of whole bean coffee. Has Kyle7R found this thread yet?!

Currently I'm drinking Ruta Maya Dark Roast (Austin, Texas) but my all time favorite is pretty much any brew from Third Coast Roasters (also from Austin) every time I'm in town I always try to pick up a few pounds. :yep: there are a few Roasters local here in houston, but location and hours have yet to be convenient... Infact, so much so with traffic, getting coffee from Austin is actually less troublesome... :crazy:

One of the few kitchen appliances I can not live without is my Breville. It grinds the beans, drip brew or can set a steep... and it makes EXACTLY the same cup each day as long as you don't change anything. I set it up each time I change beans, tweak it out for the first few pots, then we are rocking and rolling until we change beans/roast again.
:thumb:

I'm here :standingwave: we're going to have to stop for coffee before leaving Austin!

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Another good dark roast is Major Dickason's Blend by Peet's. If you have a Costco near you they have it there. The Starbucks French Roast is good too. BRCC is a little pricey but good!

I just Googled that, and I think I saw it at Kroger, but didn't try it. Amazon Prime Pantry has it for $7.99. I ordered up some BB & MO from BRCC, too.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I just ordered one of these from Amazon. I broke my french press and that looks like a good replacement. Glad you guys posted that!

If you liked french press you'll love the Aeropress!

This!
I did the same exact thing, and I keep my whole beans stored in the freezer.

I alternate between pour over, and French press. Just depending on what kinda mood I'm in ;)

What does storing the whole beans in the freezer do for you?

You should try the Aeropress; it's like french press on steroids. Better IMO

Kyle7R

It keeps them fresher, we usually buy more whole beans than two people can drink before they lose their freshness. They also don't leave a oily residue in my grinder if they're cold.

It's just something that was suggested to me, tried it out and liked the result. :thumb:

Brute

Hooked
I have a Kitchen Aid grinder, my ex-wife bought me. I like it dark. Starbucks Italian Roast is good, but the CEO of Starbucks is a dick. I brought some whole bean dark roast from Hawaii, once. It wasn't a blend, but pure Kona coffee, and it was great! I've seen Black Rifle Coffee on Instagram, and would like to try that.

I have a friend with a coffee plantation on the Big Island...trees are mid slope with just enough stress to produce intense coffee berries grown in the volcanic soil...even when I'm wheelin' & camping, I will fresh grind Hawaii dark roast beans and put them in the metal French press...best way to start the day, every day.

Brute

Hooked

Store your coffee beans in the fridge...not the freezer. This was told to me by countless coffee growers on the Big Island...

Top Bottom