Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning to weld

Knows a Thing or Two silverbackjk's Avatar

Learning to weld

So my wife has a friend who's husband is a welder and would be willing to give me some lessons. My question is what should I ask him to teach mig or tig?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbackjk View Post
    So my wife has a friend who's husband is a welder and would be willing to give me some lessons. My question is what should I ask him to teach mig or tig?

You only get to pick one???? ohhhh thats tough. I would go for TIG, that is hard to master, once you figure it out, the others will be a breeze...

Definitely TIG!

Banned
    Subscribed would like to know. I want to learn as well

Quote Originally Posted by Army_Vet View Post
    You only get to pick one???? ohhhh thats tough. I would go for TIG, that is hard to master, once you figure it out, the others will be a breeze...

Definitely TIG!
    He will teach me what ever ones I want but I was thinking of focusing on one to start. Haha

Learn mig first. Once you learn to control the puddle try moving on to stick, and when you can do both of those proficiently then give tig a shot.

If you try and start with tig, even with a pro looking over your shoulder you will more than likely get frustrated because its as much of an art as it is a skill. I learned to weld with stick, and after burning about 20lbs of rods was proficient enough to be able to pick up mig within 20 min with a friend watching and talking in my ear. Tig... well i can do it but its far from pretty. The other nice thing is that if you get into it, you can stick weld for far less $$ invested, and you can do it outside or in a breezie garage without worrying about the gas blowing away and messing up your welds.
    '14 JKUR

Are you considering buying a welder? Just knowing is pointless if you don't buy a welder. If you plan on buying. Look at what's in your price range. Tig welders can be up there in price. Mig and stick are much less expensive. I mig and stick weld. I own both welders. I can't afford a tig welder or I would learn it.
    2008 X

Banned
    If you want my honest opinion, I think you should start with brazing, then gas welding then move on the the Arc Mig then TIG. You build upon skills and a working knowledge of how metals react under heat... Just my opinion, I thought it was just one to choose from. Either way, If you want a usable skill; MIG is the easiest to have success with.

If it were me; I would pick TIG, but if you are a true beginner, MIG will build skills faster...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SDG View Post
    Learn mig first. Once you learn to control the puddle try moving on to stick, and when you can do both of those proficiently then give tig a shot.

If you try and start with tig, even with a pro looking over your shoulder you will more than likely get frustrated because its as much of an art as it is a skill. I learned to weld with stick, and after burning about 20lbs of rods was proficient enough to be able to pick up mig within 20 min with a friend watching and talking in my ear. Tig... well i can do it but its far from pretty. The other nice thing is that if you get into it, you can stick weld for far less $$ invested, and you can do it outside or in a breezie garage without worrying about the gas blowing away and messing up your welds.
    Great advice here^^^ Having a good teacher helps... I learned in my spare time on the job... I was onto my third teacher before I was even told about environmental considerations such as wind and such... And this guy was the first one to get me to "see" what I was doing with the puddle.

Quote Originally Posted by SDG View Post

Great info

Quote Originally Posted by Serg5000 View Post
    Are you considering buying a welder? Just knowing is pointless if you don't buy a welder. If you plan on buying. Look at what's in your price range. Tig welders can be up there in price. Mig and stick are much less expensive. I mig and stick weld. I own both welders. I can't afford a tig welder or I would learn it.
    If I get the hang of it and can weld decent I will buy one.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast