Learning to weld

jmm176

Just fyi any stick welding machine can be converted to do tig inexpensively. Just need to buy tig torch kit, tank and regulator. I believe to tig aluminum a tig machine with high frequency is needed. I've watched pipe fitters use the first method (scratch start) to make xray quality welds for years in refineries and nuclear power plants.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Army_Vet

Banned
No luck; or maybe talent....

Not much of a surprise to me but I kept blowing holes.... I even tried to clamp it to a big piece of alum to try and control the heat.
My Hobart Handler 125 EZ will not let me drop the heat any lower than the lowest setting.

Oh well I gave it a shot, at least now I know that if I need to weld two razors together to save my life, I will be assed out:grayno:

jesse3638

Hooked
Here is my first time welding ever after about 60 mins of YouTube vids. The vids by weldingtipsandtricks.com I found most helpful as its filmed through the hood so u can see the arc, puddle, and different techniques. I also messed around with the settings and figured out what works best.

ForumRunner_20131011_153344.png

Here is my first time welding ever after about 60 mins of YouTube vids. The vids by weldingtipsandtricks.com I found most helpful as its filmed through the hood so u can see the arc, puddle, and different techniques. I also messed around with the settings and figured out what works best.

View attachment 52255

Looks way better than mine. Mine still looks like a seagull crapped all over the place,lol

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

SDG

Caught the Bug
Dont get discouraged, when I started out I was struggling to make welds like this...

joint1.jpg

kept practicing and I was able to do this

DSC_3017.jpg

By the end of my last project i was stick welding 12ga steel pretty well

IMAG0247.jpg

and i ended up with this!
DSC_4124-2.jpg

jesse3638

Hooked
That thing looks pretty awesome. I need to bring my welder to work, with the government shut down there is a lot of time to practice...haha

jesse3638

Hooked
Finally brought the welder to work because we had a couple projects to do. While I was at it I practiced laying some beads and came up with this idea for a candy dish...haha.

ForumRunner_20131120_101220.png

OsiViper

Cool Candy dish. Looks Heavy though lol.

I'm in the same boat needing to learn but don't know anyone locally to teach me. Told my sister it would be cool to learn how to weld so she bought me a Hobart Handler 190 for my birthday next week.. I feel bad now cause its such an expensive gift and I've tried laying beads with a friends MIG and holy crap were they sloppy. Guess I need practice...

jesse3638

Hooked
Cool Candy dish. Looks Heavy though lol.

I'm in the same boat needing to learn but don't know anyone locally to teach me. Told my sister it would be cool to learn how to weld so she bought me a Hobart Handler 190 for my birthday next week.. I feel bad now cause its such an expensive gift and I've tried laying beads with a friends MIG and holy crap were they sloppy. Guess I need practice...

Yeah my friend gave me a box of a bunch of 3/16" triangles, I'm assuming they were intended to be gussets of some sort. The dish weighs prob 3-4 pounds, go to make sure it doesn't tip over. I taught myself and that is actually only my second time actually laying any substantial beads. I watched several YouTube videos. The ones posted by weldingtipsandtricks.com I found to be the most useful because its filmed from behind the hood so you can see the puddle. It really helped me understand the different techniques and what the instructor was talking about. There was another one posted on how to properly set up a MIG welder which also helped immensely. Overall I watched maybe an hour and a half of videos...haha.

SDG

Caught the Bug
http://weldingweb.com/ is a good forum for learning how to weld. Take pics of what your having issues with post up, and a lot of knowledgeable people there to help. And as posted before, http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/ has a site and a YouTube channel with some of the best instructional videos around.

Welding web is a great forum. I used to post and visit there quite a lot. Met a couple very cool people there that helped me do a few projects that I just was not capable of doing. There are some guys over there that weld some serious shit. I remember on guy designing and tiging a twin turbo system for his fx45 from scratch.

OsiViper

I need to find a place that has cheap 3/16 metal to practice welding with.. Since I'm gonna be welding the C's and Skids on my Jeep since a local place wants $500 in labor to do it.

Top Bottom