Learning to weld

familytime2

Start with arc,once you understand where the puddle is,then mig,it's hard to see the puddle in mig.Tig is good to learn too,try some oxy/acetylene time in to,great for heating things up.I'd say if like it enough take same classes

Skirmish

Unless you are going for pretty or delicate you really don't need to buy a TIG. A MIG is really a great all around weld if you are planning to do all around general stuff. With a spooler you can do aluminum (which is a bitch with TIG and hats off to anyone that can do it) and unless I'm dealing with a project I need to look seamless I usually MIG.

As far as learning with a pro, I wouldn't waste my time with stick or deal with the frustration of jumping to TIG. Any monkey can stick weld. Turn it up till it melts and don't let it touch the seam. TIG is like learning to play drums. You run the bead with one hand, feed the material with the other and control the arc with your pedal and that's the easy part. The real science is setting up the machine and the material.

TIG is art, MIG is science and stick is flinging crap at the wall. I could build a Jeep with a MIG but with a TIG I wouldn't have to do as much grinding.

Last edited:

Rob

Stick can be nice if your doing repairs on stuff. Sometimes the head on the mig is to big to get into places that you can get a stick. Also you can actually bend the stick and weld around corners if necessary. With a couple 12v batterys and a couple pairs of jumper cables you have a stick trail welder.

That being said If I were going to get lessons Id learn MIG. Way less clean up if your using gas. Eventually I want to get a ready welder for the trail. Ive seen them used and they are nice.

silverbackjk

Start with arc,once you understand where the puddle is,then mig,it's hard to see the puddle in mig.Tig is good to learn too,try some oxy/acetylene time in to,great for heating things up.I'd say if like it enough take same classes

So i talked to the guy who said he would teach me he said he wants to start with arc them move to mig after i feel comfortable. He said the same thing about puddling.:yup:

Rollincoal420

Just remember, you watch the puddle, not the arc. Biggest mistake from inexperienced welders. The puddle will tell u 90% off what u gotta do and have done.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

SDG

Caught the Bug
TIG is art, MIG is science and stick is flinging crap at the wall. I could build a Jeep with a MIG but with a TIG I wouldn't have to do as much grinding.

I have to disagree here. Mig is a science? Ok so you set the wire feed speed and the power and you pull the trigger(mmm sounds like bacon)... its the exact same thing as stick except you don't have to control the distance you keep the electrode from the material. Where is the science? Deciding whether to push or pull? I would venture to say anyone who can stick weld well (or throw shit at the wall as you put it) can mig but the opposite is not necessarily true. Especially in the more challenging positions.

Rollincoal420

I have to disagree here. Mig is a science? Ok so you set the wire feed speed and the power and you pull the trigger(mmm sounds like bacon)... its the exact same thing as stick except you don't have to control the distance you keep the electrode from the material. Where is the science? Deciding whether to push or pull? I would venture to say anyone who can stick weld well (or throw shit at the wall as you put it) can mig but the opposite is not necessarily true. Especially in the more challenging positions.

I concur. I do this day in, day out. Stick and TIG. I promise you, anyone that thinks just cause they can operate a squirt gun (mig) means they can stick weld, they will learn why it's called "stick" welding. Lol

Learn how to stick weld. Learn how ti TIG weld and burn rods. When you think you got it, burn more rods. The only way to get a good is to practice. Once you learn the fundamentals, the rest is a cake walk.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

jesse3638

Hooked
I too am learning. I'm going with MIG because a forum member happened to upgrade from his lincon 110 to a Miller 220 auto feed. I asked about it and he just offered it to me. So why turn down a free welder..haha. I told him I'd just keep it on "loan" and if he wants it back he knows where it is. I've watched a few YouTube videos and I'm gonna go give it a shot. Everyone I've talked to says learn to set up ur machine and practice practice practice.

Army_Vet

Banned
When you have practiced and think you know what your doing, give aluminium a shot and then you will realise how much you really don't know....

Ask me how I know:thinking:

familytime2

When you have practiced and think you know what your doing, give aluminium a shot and then you will realise how much you really don't know....

Ask me how I know:thinking:
Now you're talking,one challenge we did in school was weld beer cans together or maybe run some beads on the sides:brows:

BBrown626

This is a good video for the basics.

I do all the welding on my Jeep. Not real pretty, but it all works. I have added LCA skids, C gussets, Evo sliders, rear track bar mount & front axle sleeves. My dad taught me to weld stick when I was in high school. When I bought the Jeep I bought a Harbor Freight 220 GMAW machine. I wish I had bought a Miller, but it works.

Last edited:

jkrossi

This is a good video for the basics.

I do all the welding on my Jeep. Not real pretty, but it all works. I have added LCA skids, C gussets, Evo sliders, rear track bar mount & front axle sleeves. My dad taught me to weld stick when I was in high school. When I bought the Jeep I bought a Harbor Freight 220 GMAW machine. I wish I had bought a Miller, but it works.

You can always save up for one. We have a miller and a lincoln the are great machines.

Top Bottom