Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: JEEP TRAIL OFFROAD GPS: What GPS is everyone running?

Been Around the Block
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
    Custom brackets use same grab handle holes. Disabled airbag. Easy to see & use from drivers seat.

Attachment 104865
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ipad 3 + GPS app - Which one?

I've been using a laptop with DeLorme Topo 6.0 for years with no problems for my back country navigation needs, except the laptop on it's RAM mount is always in the way when my co-pilot is with me. It's an XP machine and takes forever to get booted up and connected to the GPS receiver too. Additionally, the ToughBook lap top is pretty heavy and I think the Ram mount will eventually fail if I continue using it off road. I started looking into GPS enabled tablets and that search got me to thinking the Ipad 3 with a separate bluetooth GPS receiver, would be the cats meow for my middle of nowhere explorations.

Anybody using this sort of hardware arrangement, and what apps would you suggest for back country exploring?
    Brian - ACØUS
    Please support multiple use of our public lands!
    The Road To Paradise Is Not Paved!

Gaia GPS app is pretty good and only a few bucks. Can't tell you how it compares to others, as it's the only GPS app I've tried, but it's done everything I've wanted.
    -Brandon

Been Around the Block
    How necessary is the separate GPS receiver? Havent tried running the ipad GPS when out of cell service, but that may be a needed item if that is handled with the separate BT receiver.

Thanks...

Thanks for the response. From my research, it seems folks that run in remote areas are much happier with a separate GPS receiver.

For the Gaia app, is it capable of stitching topo maps together, or do you need to reload a different map each time you cross a map border?
    Brian - ACØUS
    Please support multiple use of our public lands!
    The Road To Paradise Is Not Paved!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Pavement View Post
    Thanks for the response. From my research, it seems folks that run in remote areas are much happier with a separate GPS receiver.

For the Gaia app, is it capable of stitching topo maps together, or do you need to reload a different map each time you cross a map border?
    Nothing is that remote in the US. As for Gaia, you download the map of the area you plan to travel in before you go. At least that is what I've done with it. It works great!
    Last edited by MTG; 12-19-2014 at 12:45 AM.

I use the Gaia GPS app too. Hands down winner winner chicken dinner. I also use the Garmin GLO with it, it's a GPS that connects to your iPad using using Bluetooth. I think I paid around $100 for it. It's really helpful with location accuracy when you're in more remote areas.

Never felt like I needed an external GPS receiver.
    GPS kit HD with Google Hybrid for me.

The satellite maps a very accurate.

But I also have a couple of other Apps so I can compare what maps/resolution are available for the region I'm planning on traveling.

Another map Apps that I just discovered:
    http://www.avenza.com/products
    Last edited by ssgp2; 01-08-2015 at 05:16 PM.

I have an app on my Ipad called "you need a map" works very well for a free app. I used it on my trip to moab and it worked flawlessly. Kind of a pain to import GPX tracks but once you figure it out....easy. It is a huge app because you get the whole western USA topo.

Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast