Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243
Results 421 to 426 of 426

Thread: JEEP TRAIL OFFROAD GPS: What GPS is everyone running?

  1. #421
    Addict BaddestCross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Palmdale, CA
    Posts
    6,473
    You can download the maps in Gaia so you don't have to worry about being online.



    --
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

  2. #422
    Nothing but a Thing rubiDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Rancho Palos Verdes & Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    1,020
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by BaddestCross View Post
    You can download the maps in Gaia so you don't have to worry about being online.



    --
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Ditto with OnX.

    Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

  3. #423
    Nothing but a Thing desertrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Great Falls, MT
    Posts
    2,345
    Used both Gaia and onX, I like them both and typically use both. I think the OnX features are really nice and easy to use but I find the trail numbers and labels are better on Gaia. Gaia is definitely a great free option but can be annoying to find and download the maps where OnX is much easier (but not free)

    Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app
    12' 2dr Gecko Sport 6 speed
    PR44, ARBs, 4.88s, 35 spline rear, Adams 1350 Front & Rear, Rubi T-case, Rubi sway bar + Evo no limits, Evo armor & skids, 37/13.50" Cooper STT Pro, Evo 2" plush / OME med duty springs

    ***SOLD*** 08' JKU Rubicon 6-speed Stone White, 3.5" RK lift, 37" KM2s and lots more.
    ***CURRENT DD*** 16' F150

  4. #424
    Fresh Catch donmontalvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Devon, PA
    Posts
    5
    I love the collaborative responses!

    I ended up getting the Overlander and Iím very happy with it. Itís a true GPS so it doesnít rely on cell towers like Assisted GPS (A-GPS or AGPS).

    I no longer need a crutch (Bad Elf) to give my iPhone/iPad almost true GPS capabilities. Though the capabilities are useless without cell towers, therein lies the dilemma.

    I mounted it to a C size (1.5Ē ball) RAM Mount short bar on a Tough Track bar, and itís been as solid as a rock (the B size 1Ē ball was a little wiggly). The device is quite capable on and off road.

    I still have to learn some time intricacies of its Android system, itís become quite the functional gadget. Lots of hooks to services, more useful in road than off road.

    I have to say most the reviews donít mention the concerns I personally had. Assisted GPS vs GPS is real concern that overlanders can appreciate. Having a Swiss Army knife of handy tools has proven to pay off.

    IMG_3948.jpgIMG_3947.jpg


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    --
    Don Montalvo, Greater Philadelphia
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S (JL) 3.6L/2dr/Auto

  5. #425
    Living the WAYALIFE wjtstudios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Rochester, MI.
    Posts
    10,696
    Quote Originally Posted by donmontalvo View Post
    I love the collaborative responses!

    I ended up getting the Overlander and Iím very happy with it. Itís a true GPS so it doesnít rely on cell towers like Assisted GPS (A-GPS or AGPS).

    I no longer need a crutch (Bad Elf) to give my iPhone/iPad almost true GPS capabilities. Though the capabilities are useless without cell towers, therein lies the dilemma.

    I mounted it to a C size (1.5Ē ball) RAM Mount short bar on a Tough Track bar, and itís been as solid as a rock (the B size 1Ē ball was a little wiggly). The device is quite capable on and off road.

    I still have to learn some time intricacies of its Android system, itís become quite the functional gadget. Lots of hooks to services, more useful in road than off road.

    I have to say most the reviews donít mention the concerns I personally had. Assisted GPS vs GPS is real concern that overlanders can appreciate. Having a Swiss Army knife of handy tools has proven to pay off.

    IMG_3948.jpgIMG_3947.jpg


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Iíve been very happy with mine. We used it a ton on the recent Moab trip. It even maintained. Strong signal down in the canyons. It takes a bit getting used too when you are installing GPX files for your trail maps, but once you get it down, itís great.

    One thing that I love about it is that you can do all of your planning on your phone in the app or on the computer and then everything syncs to the overlander snd my watch. Great system.


    2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

  6. #426
    Fresh Catch donmontalvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Devon, PA
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by wjtstudios View Post
    Iíve been very happy with mine. We used it a ton on the recent Moab trip. It even maintained. Strong signal down in the canyons. It takes a bit getting used too when you are installing GPX files for your trail maps, but once you get it down, itís great.

    One thing that I love about it is that you can do all of your planning on your phone in the app or on the computer and then everything syncs to the overlander snd my watch. Great system.


    2015 JKUR AEV JK350
    1985 CJ8 Scrambler
    Yep, love how true GPS devices lock into a dozen or so sattelites and keep looking for and connecting as you go.

    GPS sucks in big cities, so the iPhone/iPad have its use as navigation devices.

    But nothing beats super responsive/accurate true GPS for overlanding.
    --
    Don Montalvo, Greater Philadelphia
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S (JL) 3.6L/2dr/Auto

Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243

Similar Threads

  1. Advice on running Billy Bob Trail in NV
    By jtjk in forum Trails & Upcoming Trips
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-07-2018, 06:11 AM
  2. Running without front axle stub shaft (trail fix)
    By Txjkjpr in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 08-05-2017, 05:35 PM
  3. Trail essentials- What tools to Carry Offroad
    By MedixJK in forum General Off-Road Tech
    Replies: 136
    Last Post: 02-28-2017, 05:58 PM
  4. Running the Rubicon Trail on the weekend
    By NevadaZielmeister in forum Trails & Upcoming Trips
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-2016, 06:20 AM
  5. Anyone offroad in the sand with++snow.. and finish the trail.
    By Deuane in forum Trails & Upcoming Trips
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-26-2012, 06:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
ďwayoflifeĒ is a moniker that Iíve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS