Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Short arm vs long arm lift question

When you put a lift on your Jeep like a 3.5" Rubicon Express is that considered short arm?

Quote Originally Posted by justin mazzon View Post
    When you put a lift on your Jeep like a 3.5" Rubicon Express is that considered short arm?
    Any control arm that bolts up to your factory mounts is a short arm lift. A long arm kit will REQUIRE you to cut off your mounts on the frame and relocate them more toward the center of your Jeep. This will allow you to run control arms that are SIGNIFICANTLY LONGER than stock.

Quote Originally Posted by justin mazzon View Post
    If you don't have to modify the frame mounts by moving them away from the axles, then it's still a short arm lift. Even if the new arms are longer to help dial in caster, it's still a short arm lift.

EDIT: What Eddie said.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Someone here mentioned that long arms won't increase flex. But assuming you've got some pretty long shocks (maybe 14" travel or so), won't the longer arms allow you to reach the limits of your travel with less binding angle on your arms, assuming you are running a trackbar? Or are the stock jk arms not going to bind up against the mounts anyway in either case?
    •|||||||• 2015 Unlimited Sport S Baja Yellow
    Auto / 4.56 Gears / G2 35 Spline ARB Front, Ected Rear Axle / Alpine 9-Speakers & Sub / MC 3.5" w 6pak shocks / 31570R17 Cooper STT Pros

Quote Originally Posted by chitown35 View Post
    Someone here mentioned that long arms won't increase flex. But assuming you've got some pretty long shocks (maybe 14" travel or so), won't the longer arms allow you to reach the limits of your travel with less binding angle on your arms, assuming you are running a trackbar? Or are the stock jk arms not going to bind up against the mounts anyway in either case?
    Here's a couple of shots of 14" coil overs running short arms.

We ended up having to install limiting straps to help prevent drive line bind. We still run limiting straps with our long arms for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Here's a couple of shots of 14" coil overs running short arms.

We ended up having to install limiting straps to help prevent drive line bind. We still run limiting straps with our long arms for the same reason.
    Can't really see the front driver's side to see if it's all the way into the bump but I'd imagine it's pretty close. And the passenger shock looks fully extended.

Even looks like stock arms and not aftermarket, right?
    •|||||||• 2015 Unlimited Sport S Baja Yellow
    Auto / 4.56 Gears / G2 35 Spline ARB Front, Ected Rear Axle / Alpine 9-Speakers & Sub / MC 3.5" w 6pak shocks / 31570R17 Cooper STT Pros

Knows a Thing or Two OhNoTheJiggies's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Any control arm that bolts up to your factory mounts is a short arm lift. A long arm kit will REQUIRE you to cut off your mounts on the frame and relocate them more toward the center of your Jeep. This will allow you to run control arms that are SIGNIFICANTLY LONGER than stock.
    Not necessarily! If they bolt in factory location, they could be a mid arm! Hahaha damn you rock krawler and your invention of pushing axles too far back! But they do give my rear coils an awesome shape... similar to a slinky.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

While I would love to have a long arm, the cost and time (doing it myself) was just a bit too extensive. I've seen what short arm JKs can accomplish, and it's certainly impressive, see Eddie's photo above even if you aren't running coil overs it's pretty nice.

I may go long arm someday, but if you want to DIY, get a good short arm, EVO + Currie and call it a day. I'm running the 4" EVO Plush Coils, EVO front lowers and Currie on the other 6. Love the lift and the ride. It wanders a bit, but I mostly feel like it's because my tires grab the road grooves and go with it, though it may be some caster as well.
    Idiot with a JK

Fresh Catch

Long arm vs short arm

Ive asked around locally and searched this forum, and have found differing opinions. I have a 2017 Rubicon Unlimited, I plan on 37's, 5.13 gears and flat fenders. Initially I planned on a 4" long arm kit, likely EVO. Now I'm thinking maybe the EVO Enforcer 3" and coil overs. Im undecided, i like the taller look of the 4". Ill probably be driving about 80% on-road. I was under the impression that the long arm kit would provide a much better ride on the pavement. Does anybody have any input as to wether the extra cost of the long arm kit would be worth it for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2DMTN View Post
    Ive asked around locally and searched this forum, and have found differing opinions. I have a 2017 Rubicon Unlimited, I plan on 37's, 5.13 gears and flat fenders. Initially I planned on a 4" long arm kit, likely EVO. Now I'm thinking maybe the EVO Enforcer 3" and coil overs. Im undecided, i like the taller look of the 4". Ill probably be driving about 80% on-road. I was under the impression that the long arm kit would provide a much better ride on the pavement. Does anybody have any input as to wether the extra cost of the long arm kit would be worth it for me.

Thanks
    Long arm will provide great road handling manners since it corrects your steering geometry.

As far as lifts go, do the enforcer kit w/o the coilovers. If the 4" is to high when it's all said and done then you could easily sell them and get the 3" springs
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assis

jlwrangler.com

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast