Short arm vs long arm lift question

2DMTN

Thanks for all the responses. If I go with 4" it will be a long arm, 3" will not. I am still undecided on which lift though. This forum seems to be very pro EVO. So I've narrowed it down to EVO, Synergy and Rock Krawler. Very hard to know what to choose. Scared to make the wrong choice, everybody has a reason why they like one over another. Thanks again for all the input.

Ddays

Hooked
Thanks for all the responses. If I go with 4" it will be a long arm, 3" will not. I am still undecided on which lift though. This forum seems to be very pro EVO. So I've narrowed it down to EVO, Synergy and Rock Krawler. Very hard to know what to choose. Scared to make the wrong choice, everybody has a reason why they like one over another. Thanks again for all the input.

Here's some food for thought: I am running a RK kit but have replaced my front LCA's with Curries after one of the RK joints seized. This is a RK joint vs a Johnnie Joint (JJ) used by EVO & Currie

Arms 7.jpg

Had I seen a photo comparing the two side by side I would have gone a different direction from the beginning. The folk are pro EVO here for a reason, and its not because we're all kool-aid drinkers. Take a look at what some of the hardcore members here do with their Jeeps and look at what parts they run on them. Try a search looking for failed EVO parts. I have not seen one. And you can bet that if there was the trolls would be here pasting pics on every thread they could.

Good luck with your choice. :thumb:

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Here's some food for thought: I am running a RK kit but have replaced my front LCA's with Curries after one of the RK joints seized. This is a RK joint vs a Johnnie Joint (JJ) used by EVO & Currie

View attachment 265849

Had I seen a photo comparing the two side by side I would have gone a different direction from the beginning. The folk are pro EVO here for a reason, and its not because we're all kool-aid drinkers. Take a look at what some of the hardcore members here do with their Jeeps and look at what parts they run on them. Try a search looking for failed EVO parts. I have not seen one. And you can bet that if there was the trolls would be here pasting pics on every thread they could.

Good luck with your choice. :thumb:

Those Johnnie Joints are no joke! They make the rock krawler joints look tiny.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug

You can't go wrong with EVO. I'm running their Double D long arm set up. I've had the set up for about 5 years, maybe a little longer. Jeep drives amazing both on and off road. Like Eddie said, stop by their shop and see for yourself the quality of their products. Your mind will be made up.

jknikos

View attachment 265849

Never seen an evo arm in person but this thing looks massive. All we have here is teraflex and rough country. Rough country is garbage:icon_crazy:

Last edited:

flaxbourton

Sry to bring this thread back from the dead but another thread I was reading linked to this one and more detail is given here. Also, my first post here!
Anyhow, I had always thought you were limited to about 3.5" ish max lift with SA's. I also thought you really needed 4+ Inches of lift to comfortably wheel with 37's. Basically, you had to go to long arms to get the lift height for 37's...? Are there CO kits out there that you can run with short arms and get the 4"+ needed for 37's?

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Sry to bring this thread back from the dead but another thread I was reading linked to this one and more detail is given here. Also, my first post here!
Anyhow, I had always thought you were limited to about 3.5" ish max lift with SA's. I also thought you really needed 4+ Inches of lift to comfortably wheel with 37's. Basically, you had to go to long arms to get the lift height for 37's...? Are there CO kits out there that you can run with short arms and get the 4"+ needed for 37's?

Might wanna go give us a wave and introduce yourself. As to your post, there are a ton of people running 37's on 3.5" and it works very well.

aermotor

I'm now running the EVO coilovers with 37s and it's more than enough lift. Long arms don't do anything for lift, they are not the lift, coils are, whether standard or coilovers.

flaxbourton

I'm now running the EVO coilovers with 37s and it's more than enough lift. Long arms don't do anything for lift, they are not the lift, coils are, whether standard or coilovers.

What amount of lift are you running at? I guess I was thinking the SA angle got to extreme when you got to lift sizes that are able to accommodate 37's.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Not sure what you've heard or who's got you to think that. Back on an old TJ that had really short factory arms, yeah, that would have been the way things worked but on a JK which has MUCH LONGER factory arms, the rules aren't as cut and dry. 4" of lift will get you running 37's IF you want to run them with full factory fenders and not trim your pinch seams. You can get by with less if you're willing to trim them. I currently run 40's with about 3.5" or so of lift.

Boat Guy

Long arm vs short arm

Need some help please. Long arm vs short arm for a 2014 JKU. Have a 4 1/2" Metalcloak lift with 37's. No high speed stuff, just rocks and a few girl trails. Any advantage to long arm?

Ddays

Hooked
A lot of the answer depends on what you are looking for. Do you already have a MC kit installed and are you looking for a complete new setup?

BTW, 4.5" of lift is an awful lot for 37's.

Edit: The biggest benefit you will realize would be on the road, not offroad. I just had an EVO LA kit installed and it does improve the on-road handling markedly. But then thats was exactly what I was after

Last edited:

Andy5160

Hooked
A lot of the answer depends on what you are looking for. Do you already have a MC kit installed and are you looking for a complete new setup?

BTW, 4.5" of lift is an awful lot for 37's.

Edit: The biggest benefit you will realize would be on the road, not offroad. I just had an EVO LA kit installed and it does improve the on-road handling markedly. But then thats was exactly what I was after

You can safly travel to the mall now :cheesy::wings:

Top Bottom