Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Short arm vs long arm lift question

Short arm vs long arm lift question

I have a 2012 JKU Sport. Am currently looking at a lift and am looking for some information on the pros and cons of a short arm & a long arm lift? I am leaning a short arm lift because I want to do it myself plus I am not too keen on cutting stuff off of my Jeep. Any help would be greatly appreciated here. Thanks!
    Last edited by DMFNJ24601; 09-28-2013 at 09:06 PM.

Long arm, Do it once do it right. I am not a huge one for cutting things off but if you look around and look at the installs you might suprise yourself that its not that far out of hand. I can tell you it does suck tho i am in the middle of my lift as week speak and damn it blows, but i just keep thinking end game end game. Which in the end i should have a good lift that rides and acts good, well worth the extra couple bills and sweat. I have a 2012 sport as well.

Banned
    All depends on lift height and trails you go on..see my sig, works great on the street and on medium trails like the Rubicon. I'll likely change to a long arm setup but I'm always trying to get the last few % increase in its capability.

Quote Originally Posted by DMFNJ24601 View Post
    I have a 2012 JKU Sport. Am currently looking at a lift and am looking for some information on the pros and cons of a short arm & a long arm lift? I am leaning a short arm lift because I want to do it myself plus I am not too keen on cutting stuff off of my Jeep. Any help would be greatly appreciated here. Thanks!
    The only real reason to run a long arm kit is because you are running a tall lift. Long arms will require you to remove your factory control arm frame mounts and have you install new ones further toward the middle of your Jeep. Doing this will correct your suspension geometry by making your control arms sit flatter again as they were back when you were stock. Where you will see the most benefit from this is ON PAVEMENT. The cons to a long arm kit is that they are expensive and require a lot of work to install.

If you think you'll be sticking with 37" tires and running about 4" of lift, you can get by with a factory length arm kit. I refrain from calling them "short" because they really aren't that short. Unlike the TJ before, the JK arms are actually quite long and will do just fine for most people. The pros of sticking with them is that kits are more affordable and are easier to install. The cons is that if you go over 4" of lift, you may find that your daily drive not to be as good as it was.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    The only real reason to run a long arm kit is because you are running a tall lift. Long arms will require you to remove your factory control arm frame mounts and have you install new ones further toward the middle of your Jeep. Doing this will correct your suspension geometry by making your control arms sit flatter again as they were back when you were stock. Where you will see the most benefit from this is ON PAVEMENT. The cons to a long arm kit is that they are expensive and require a lot of work to install.

If you think you'll be sticking with 37" tires and running about 4" of lift, you can get by with a factory length arm kit. I refrain from calling them "short" because they really aren't that short. Unlike the TJ before, the JK arms are actually quite long and will do just fine for most people. The pros of sticking with them is that kits are more affordable and are easier to install. The cons is that if you go over 4" of lift, you may find that your daily drive not to be as good as it was.
    Ive read on some other site that you will receive almost as much flex from a "short arm" as you will from a long arm kit. Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by shadow21 View Post
    Ive read on some other site that you will receive almost as much flex from a "short arm" as you will from a long arm kit. Is this true?
    There's no almost about it. Long arms only serve to correct your suspension geometry - they DO NOT increase the amount of flex you will have. Your shock length will be the ultimate deciding factor as to how much compression and droop you will have.

Hooked
    Good info. I was looking for the same answer. Thank you all

Someone here used this analogy before.

Imagine you were pushing a wheel barrel. First image, imagine your arms are where they are now, attached at the shoulders. Second image, imagine that your arms are attached at the hips. Now imagine that your pushing the wheel barrel and you hit a bump. The scenario where your arms are attached at the hips will be smoother than the other scenario, where your arms are attached higher at the shoulders.

That image helped me a lot when I first heard of long arms and shorts arms.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fresh Catch

Newbie Lift Kit Help

2016 Jk Rubicon - What's the difference between a long arm kit vs a short arm kit?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Last edited by WJCO; 01-23-2017 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Merged to existing thread.

Long arm moves the frame mounts further away from the axles. This in turn makes the arms closer to parallel with the ground for a more comfortable ride.

Untitled.jpg
    Last edited by WJCO; 01-23-2017 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Merged to existing thread.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast