Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Rubicon Unlimited Build

I will be looking to trade my 2010 JKU in for a 2013 JKUR later this year and want to get some advice on what order I should go in by way of mods. Since my money is not unlimited, mods will be bought over time. I hope to have this thing ready for bdmckenna's Colorado trip next summer. The parts that I already have, that I will be switching over to the new jeep, are:
    Coast 1310 front driveshaft
    Trektop NX
    PSC evap skid
    IPF Headlights
    Trek Armor custom seat covers
    LoD sliders
    Spyderlock wheels
    RK heavy duty tie rod
    Fox SS shock

I am planning on adding the EVO DoubleD long arm kit to the new jeep. So from there, which mods and in what order would you guys recommend? Axle reinforcement? Bumpers and winch? Don't need specific brands, just a general list of what I need (like chromoly axle shafts, gussetts, etc...)
    Help me make it a successful summer next year (and many more to come...) by helping me build my next rig!

Edit: let the list begin!
    Axle:
    PR44 or
    Gussetts front
    lockers front and rear
    diff covers front and rear
    35 spline chromoly shafts front and rear
    (ball joints?)

Suspension:
    Double D with high clearance rear brackets and bilsteins
    (Upgrade to bolt on coilovers down the road a ways)

Armor:
    Oil pan skid
    front bumper
    rear bumper w/ rock skins

Other:
    Winch
    Cb
    37" tires
    (Trim stock fenders)

What else?
    Last edited by Prime8; 06-07-2012 at 05:02 PM.
    Epic Addictions!

New Rig:
    2013 JKU Rubicon, 4" Evo Double D Long Arm Lift w/ Bilstein 5100's, 37" Nitto TGs on 17" Spyderlocks, J.E. Reel 1350 Front DS, LoD sliders, EVO 1/4 Pounder w/ Stinger, EVO Rockskins and Tire Carrier.

Previous Rig:
    2010 JKU Mountain Edition, 35" Wrangler MT/R Kevlar's, 3.5" Rock Krawler Flex System w/ Fox Shocks, 5.13 G2 gears, Spyderlock beadlocks, Coast 1310 FDS, EVO C2 kit and drag link flip kit, LoD sliders, Trektop NX.

I would go with armor first to protect your investment, then just add on as needed.
    2013 Jeep with some stuff on it

Quote Originally Posted by DA RUNT
    I would go with armor first to protect your investment, then just add on as needed.
    Haha, that's all you're gonna give me? Come on, man! I can't add on as needed in the backwoods of Colorado... So I need to make sure I'm ready before then. Armor covers a LOT of different parts too. I am not going with full skids, after reading Eddie's advice on the matter, so what armor are you referring to specifically...? I also need help deciding on 35 vs 37, and all the subsequent parts necessary to have a sound, reliable setup with the recommended tire size... I know 37s require some additional reinforcement, but what all is required? Want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
    Epic Addictions!

New Rig:
    2013 JKU Rubicon, 4" Evo Double D Long Arm Lift w/ Bilstein 5100's, 37" Nitto TGs on 17" Spyderlocks, J.E. Reel 1350 Front DS, LoD sliders, EVO 1/4 Pounder w/ Stinger, EVO Rockskins and Tire Carrier.

Previous Rig:
    2010 JKU Mountain Edition, 35" Wrangler MT/R Kevlar's, 3.5" Rock Krawler Flex System w/ Fox Shocks, 5.13 G2 gears, Spyderlock beadlocks, Coast 1310 FDS, EVO C2 kit and drag link flip kit, LoD sliders, Trektop NX.

I'd sell the Evap skid- pretty sure he new ones come with one (?)
    Add the 35 spline rear shafts with an arb locker
    Sleeve gusset the front and add chromoly shafts 35 spline and an arb locker
    EVO long arm high clearance with coil overs
    37s
    Sell the 1310 shaft and get a 1350.
    Rock lights (sr-m) lol :-)
    Sports cage.....
    I could go on but you have limited funds already

Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by 388charlie
    37s
    Sports cage.....

Good luck!!
    Great! Is the 1350 necessary? Should I get the airlocker first, then the 1350? Also, where would bumpers fit into this mix? And if I'm planning on going 37" max on tires, will the stock D44 with gussetts be plenty strong enough, considering I won't be taking it on rocks every weekend?

BTW, guess I should have mentioned this earlier... It will mostly be a DD, but every month or two when I AM able to get offroad, I want it to be as capable as possible. I want it to have great road manners, but also be able to hang with anyone (well, maybe not Eddie, Mel, and Greg, but mostly anyone) for week long trips once a year. It would be great to eventually qualify for the JK Experience, but that might be years away. I don't want to cut corners here, even of it means taking years to build (although hopefully it won't be!). For example, I'd love a PR44 or even front and rear D60s, and the Double Throwdown setup, but I know that I don't need it and that I wouldn't ever fully utilize its potential (until I move west and out of Illinois, but that might be awhile...).
    Epic Addictions!

New Rig:

Previous Rig:

Quote Originally Posted by 388charlie
    37s
    Sports cage.....

Good luck!!
    Also, you mentioned the ARB lockers front and rear. You recommend pulling out the stock rubi lockers right from the get-go?
    Epic Addictions!

New Rig:

Previous Rig:

I guess I could have been more specific I don't change anything until I have a need to tho. I make sure I have rocker protection and a winch then just go til something breaks or limits what I want to do.
    2013 Jeep with some stuff on it

Caught the Bug
    Once you have the 2012 Rubicon in your driveway this is the order i would beef/strengthen it...

1.) Aftermarket Control Arms
    2.) Chromoly shafts front/rear
    3.) Aftermarket Diff Covers and Lower Control Arm skids
    4.) EVO Protek Skid System
    5.) Rock Sliders
    6.) Bigger Tires
    7.) Bumpers

Then consider a winch, maybe aftermarket or trimmed fender flares, corner guards.

Putting JKS control arms on my JK really tightened up the steering and overall feel of onroad/offroad manners of my jeep.

In my opinion that list takes care of strengthening and protecting your jeep.
    Last edited by TX_JK; 06-06-2012 at 09:58 PM.
    - 2002 TJ (Solar Yellow) - Bought, Built, Wheeled, SOLD!
    - 2012 JK Unlimited Rubicon (Sahara Tan) - Bought, Built, Wheeled, SOLD!
    - 2013 JK Unlimited Rubicon (Commando Green) - Bought, Getting There...

Quote Originally Posted by TX_JK
    Once you have the 2012 Rubicon in your driveway this is the order i would beef/strengthen it...

1.) Aftermarket Control Arms
    2.) Chromoly shafts front/rear
    3.) Aftermarket Diff Covers and Lower Control Arm skids
    4.) EVO Protek Skid System
    5.) Rock Sliders
    6.) Bigger Tires
    7.) Bumpers

Then consider a winch, maybe aftermarket or trimmed fender flares, corner guards.

Putting JKS control arms on my JK really tightened up the steering and overall feel of onroad/offroad manners of my jeep.

In my opinion that list takes care of strengthening and protecting your jeep.
    1.) I am going with the EVO Double D, as previously stated.
    2.) Good call on the shafts, they were on my mental list, especially if I go 37's
    3.) Diff covers definitely. Not sure if the Double D has the LCA skids included, but I'll be getting them with my EVO gussett kit...
    4.) After reading what Eddie, Greg and others have said about aftermarket, full skid systems, I consider them a waste of money and weight. I think I'll just skid a couple things (like evap if still necessary, and an oil skid).
    5.) As mentioned, I have LoD sliders already that I plan on transferring to the new rig.
    6.) Tires for sure, they get purchased with the lift.
    7.) Bumpers- this is where I get fuzzy, and one of the reasons I posted this thread. With all the structural things that need to be done, as well as things for the trail like gps and a cb, I don't know where to put front/rear bumper and winch on the priority list.

Also hoping someone can tell me if the 4.10 gears will be enough with the new motor to run 37" tires without needing to re-gear. Also, if I go with 37's over 35's, what other structural mods are necessary? Is a 1310 front DS and stock rear DS adequate? Are the stock lockers ok with 37's? Chromoly axle shafts front and rear? Any other structural mods necessary to run the added size and weight of 37's?
    Epic Addictions!

New Rig:

Previous Rig:

Id still move up to the 1350 with 37" tires. The 1310 might handle it but you might brake u joints- I busted two joints on my je reel 1310 with only 35s and on road! Sure it was already there waiting to happen.
    -I'd run the rubi lockers till they break- but if your adding new shafts why not bump up the spline count at the same time? So that would mean new locker for the 35 spline shafts. I'm sure you can sell off the rubi locker for a few hundred along with the stock shafts.
    -skids- true I'd run the factory ones with the added trans and oil skid and leave the factory ones in place.
    -bumpers, I'd just remove the rear stock and go without. Front you can chop and add a winch plate or get a new front and winch in the beginning. Every rig should have a winch, you can't rely on your buddy having one all the time. So towards the top of the list.
    - flairs, i would just cut the stock ones! Cheap and looks good- Eddie should make up a templet an sell for the cuts!! Hint hint.
    And it's be said that the new engine can push 37s with the 4.10s with out the feeling of needing new gears. So you shouldn't have to worry about that- just a programmer to adjust for your bigger tires.

Good job picking to do this right from the start!! I think you'll like the double d on 37s! Are you getting the high clearance or jut the standard long arm kit? Make sure you have a drag link flip also!! Bump steer is a bitch. Might also want to look into a hydro steer too!! An on board air set up is always a plus to.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast