2013 Rubicon Unlimited Build

StrizzyChris

Fox SS shock

Other:
37" tires
(Trim stock fenders)

Are you considering running a hydro steering assist since your going with 37's? If so I wouldnt waste my cash on a SS and run the stock until I place the hydro on.

Speculation is fun so as long as it doesn't turn into a bitch session after its released... a lá the teraflex tire carrier thread on jk-forum.

Edit: I was not suggesting anyone here would do that.

I'm with ya...I like voicing my opinion when it cant be disputed yet...then once cold hard facts are disclosed and I am proven flat out wrong I like retreat into my hole of imaginary correctness where I rock!:rock:

Prime8

wayoflife said:
up front, the double d brackets are the same. rubicat is running high clearance brackets in the rear BUT, these had to be ordered separately and it does require welding. the double d kit is a "bolt-on" kit and because of it, the rear high clearance brackets are NOT included with the kit.

Can this system be run with the bilsteins until later, when I have to funds, to get the bolt on coilovers?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Can this system be run with the bilsteins until later, when I have to funds, to get the bolt on coilovers?

yes, it most certainly can and i personally would go that route. i'm pretty sure that nmwrangler here on this forum has the double d kit and is running bilsteins.

Prime8

StrizzyChris said:
I noticed on your updated list that under suspension it says Double D OR coilovers? The coilover kit will not include a LA kit also. I believe, unless they also make a complete kit out of it, that it will be front and rear shock/coil replacement to run coilovers with your existing lift. So not sure what you are thinking about for the track bars, adjustible controll arms, drag link etc.?

I thought the HC brackets and bolt on coilovers, that are still unreleased, were going to be part of a full suspension kit. That's why I phrased it that way... Guess we'll have to see how they package it and all that's included.

Last edited:

Prime8

wayoflife said:
yes, it most certainly can and i personally would go that route. i'm pretty sure that nmwrangler here on this forum has the double d kit and is running bilsteins.

Awesome. I think I'll go that route then. Get the Double D with the high clearance rear brackets, and upgrade to the bolt on coilovers at a later date.

StrizzyChris

It sounds like you want to do this smart and like everyone else have a budget to work with. I hate to waste a penny and would look at it like this…(hope everyone understands just how I would look at it, and I dont think other ways to go are wrong)

1-I only want to do something once. IE run stock until I replace it with what I really want. This to not waste my budget spending cash twice on the same function like a steering stabilizer and then a hydro steer later.(unless its a cheap ticket item then who cares)

2-What must be done first before I can do the next step, but not performing the task twice on this either. IE weld on brackets to a stock axle if you KNOW you will be replacing that same axle in the near future and have to buy the brackets and pay for that labor a second time.

Trace out the “what MUST come first” or what can’t be on there until X is on there also. Example…I have already purchased my 8 lug wheels for my 1 ton axles that I don’t even have yet. Because I have to have wheels that fit these or else the axle does nothing. They are just sitting in the garage, but I wont be purchasing wheels twice! AND this has also helped me research more, and I have changed my mind 5 times since then.

These steps will obviously cause you to delay gratification (my poor stock jeep) of your build, but save you from spending the money twice. UNLESS you plan it around stages of the build IE run 35’s for two years and then save enough until they wear out and then do the next stage. This wouldn’t be a waste because you obviously got full use of the tires OR the item has good resale value.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
I agree with strizzy it makes a lot of sense doing it the way you want it the first time than spending it twice and wasting money. Im doing the exact same thing with my jeep and belive me it is very agonizing to know that my jeep cant take on some of the trails I want to go on because I don't have a lift, tires, lockers and axles I want but I know that someday I will and with a little bit of saving will get what I want and be done with it. But of course its all how you want it and if you want to get out there and take on the trails faster then buying the cheaper stuff first is always an option and you could always sell those for a little money once you upgrade. So really there is positives to both sides. :yup:

Prime8

I want to do it smart for a number of reasons... I don't want to buy things twice, like Chris pointed out. Nothings more frustrating than buying and installing something only to have to take it off and sell it for pennies-on-the-dollar later. Secondly, the timing has to be set up in progressive stages. What would be the point of getting 37's mounted on my spyderlocks before I can afford the lift, other than to make that cool 'baseball card in the spokes' sound when I'm driving down the road eating up the fenders? So I need to start organizing what needs to be bought/installed together and in what order. I'd say that lift would probably be one of the first, as it will make any other underbody installs easier to do myself with a floor jack and jack stands.

So it seems I've got the suspension ironed out now, so let's move on to axles... We talked about them before, but what about others like currie and teraflex? They make beefy front axles too right? Also, I don't think I ever got a solid response from anyone about necessary upgrades to run 37's, whether I need a 1350 up front, and whether I can just run a stock DS in the rear...? Any takers?

Prime8

Talked to Chris at EVO MFG today. Decided on the Double D, so I can upgrade to the bolt on coilovers and HC brackets later. If I wanted to do the HC brackets from the get go, I would need to do the bolt on coilovers at the same time. That is far more than I can afford right off the bat. Plus, Chris said I can send in the rear Double D brackets once I install the HC brackets and I will get a partial credit for them. If you haven't called and picked Chris' brain yet, I highly recommend it.

Now on to axles...

Top Bottom