front driveshaft

brizon85

Hey guys I want to start off by apologizing for another post that has already been done a lot I'm sure :(
(side note, does anyone else have trouble with the search function?)

Ok well I took my jeep in for an oil change and let them know I was smelling a burnt odor after driving for a while. tech told me my front driveshaft was leaking, and that it needed to be replaced.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1383843547.027434.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1383843561.977700.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1383843575.526501.jpg

is it necessary to get a new one or is it something simple like a seal?

thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, your CV boot is toast and there is no replacing it. You will need to get a new shaft and soon. With the grease spitting out, it's only a matter of time before your bearings fry and at that point, you're done. I would recommend getting a good 1350 replacement u-joint style double cardan shaft like the kind JE Reel makes. That's what you really need.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
damn :( well I appreciate it :)

Sorry for the bad news but, with your shaft sitting at such a steep angle, even if you could replace it, you would just blow it again and quickly. The fix really is a new u-joint style shaft.

brizon85

yeah just talked to my local shop and he suggested the same thing. he also suggested a tom woods 1350 style shaft

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
yeah just talked to my local shop and he suggested the same thing. he also suggested a tom woods 1350 style shaft

IF you decide to go with a Tom Woods, make sure to pay for upgraded u-joints as they come standard with cheap Chinese ones that I see fail all the time. I personally would recommend a set of made in the USA Neapco or Spicer u-joints.

Angry Aussie

Damn that sucks about tom woods I have one for my lift I'll be having installed in a couple of weeks. When I'm ready to change the rear drive shaft should I stay tom woods cause the front one will be or should I go je reel one?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have oem 2 door one. But I think they may be different.

2-Doors and 4-Doors share the same front drive shaft assuming they both have the same transmission and are from the same year range (i.e. 07-11 or 12-up).

Damn that sucks about tom woods I have one for my lift I'll be having installed in a couple of weeks. When I'm ready to change the rear drive shaft should I stay tom woods cause the front one will be or should I go je reel one?

For the most part, drive shafts are drive shafts. So long as they are balanced well, the only real difference from one to the next is in the components used. I prefer JE Reel as they come with made in the USA Neapco u-joints STANDARD and, of all the different shafts I have run, has never let me down. This is not to say that I haven't run other shafts like Coast and custom made shafts that haven't been just as good. I just have seen the cheap chinese u-joints that Woods use standard fail more times than I would prefer. Like I said, if you do go with it, just make sure to pay for upgraded u-joints.

Angry Aussie

Thanks Eddie. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the tom woods I won't have time to send it back before my lift goes on. Ill order the better u joint tonight for it and hopefully get it in quickly.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey check this out, may be cost effective to rebuild... Or for at least someone who is running into this issue in the future.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52302_0013.htm

Great find! Up until now, there was nothing available to address this problem other than to get a new drive shaft. Unfortunately, it will not fix the root cause of the problem which is the steep angle your drive shaft is sitting in due to a lift. Needless to say, the boot will just fail again.

MurderedJK

Great find! Up until now, there was nothing available to address this problem other than to get a new drive shaft. Unfortunately, it will not fix the root cause of the problem which is the steep angle your drive shaft is sitting in due to a lift. Needless to say, the boot will just fail again.

I agree, it will not be a perm fix to the issue of the steep angle. This would be a good option for someone who needs a quick fix now until they save the money for a J.E. Reel (awesome drivelines).

suicideking

One more vote for the JE Reel. I have their 1310. Still have the OEM rear. Replaced it once already because I tore the boot. I replaced with another OEM rear because I got it for $20 which is probably all it's really worth... :D

JAGS

Hooked
Possibly a stupid question. When you buy a new DS from say JE, is there anything else you need to get? Other brackets or anything. Or is it just off with the old and on with the new?

- Jason

JKWrang

Possibly a stupid question. When you buy a new DS from say JE, is there anything else you need to get? Other brackets or anything. Or is it just off with the old and on with the new?

- Jason

Adams sells their DS with new mounts for the front end and reuses the rear end on their front DS. so that's all you need. Oh and lock tite. And their website has complete install instructions. They also use neapco and spicer joints :yup:

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

- Jason

A JE Reel or Coast shaft comes with new yokes and flanges and you will not need to get anything else. Being that you have a 4-door, you really only need to get a front shaft.

JAGS

Hooked
A JE Reel or Coast shaft comes with new yokes and flanges and you will not need to get anything else. Being that you have a 4-door, you really only need to get a front shaft.

Thanks Eddie. Throwing my build on paper and trying to eliminate the those hidden charges here and there so I can time when I'm going to order everything up.

brizon85

Hey guys just wanted to say I finally got my new JE Reel front driveshaft installed. I must admit I don't do a lot of the work on my own jeep but I did the install myself and it went very smoothly. I am also highly impressed with the quality of the driveshaft and parts. Thanks Eddie for the recommendation!

Top Bottom