front driveshaft

Hey guys just wanted to say I finally got my new JE Reel front driveshaft installed. I must admit I don't do a lot of the work on my own jeep but I did the install myself and it went very smoothly. I am also highly impressed with the quality of the driveshaft and parts. Thanks Eddie for the recommendation!

Awesome! Glad to hear it :yup:

Gotta ask, how tall is your lift, mine is a 2.5" that sits around 2.7 to 2.9 and I'm a bit worried about the angle...

Jorge

if you are referring to me, then it's a 3.5" rubicon express. Honestly I drove my jk for close to a year without the boot failing. It wasn't until I took the jeep offroad and flexed the front end that I had the boot fail.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1388707718.450908.jpg

So I finally measured, the 2.5" lift actually netted 3" going from the 18 1/2 inches on the shock mount length to 21 1/2 inches...

Possibly a stupid question. When you buy a new DS from say JE, is there anything else you need to get? Other brackets or anything. Or is it just off with the old and on with the new?

- Jason

May go without saying, but make sure you have a grease gun and some quality grease. Grease those zerks before you just throw on the shaft. May also want to replace your pinion nut at the same time (I did) as cheap insurance. Only $10 or so from Quadratec or the dealer.

Unfortunately, your CV boot is toast and there is no replacing it. You will need to get a new shaft and soon. With the grease spitting out, it's only a matter of time before your bearings fry and at that point, you're done. I would recommend getting a good 1350 replacement u-joint style double cardan shaft like the kind JE Reel makes. That's what you really need.

It turns out I'm in need of a new front driveshaft. Do you still recommend these shafts or is there something better these days?

Thanks

It turns out I'm in need of a new front driveshaft. Do you still recommend these shafts or is there something better these days?

Thanks
So that noise was your driveshaft after all? Glad it held up through the Rubicon trip! 😱

I know you weren't asking me, but I'm running the Adams Extreme Duty 1350 with the sealed u-joints and it's been great. The JE Reel is a solid choice as well.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

So I have the same problem with my front driveshaft. What is better a JE REEL 1310 or 1350? I think I remember reading 1350 is stronger but seems like a lot of guys on here are running the 1310.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

It seems Adams has a better warranty by 6 months. It all looks pretty similar and the adams seems a little cheaper. My next question is does it make sense to do both front and rear or just the front? I'm kinda leaning toward both... Since I'm there already...

It seems Adams has a better warranty by 6 months. It all looks pretty similar and the adams seems a little cheaper. My next question is does it make sense to do both front and rear or just the front? I'm kinda leaning toward both... Since I'm there already...
The rear shaft is living on borrowed time with your setup. I'm surprised it's taken this long for the front to blow up. Do them both and get it over with for peace of mind if nothing else.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Top Bottom