Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dual Battery or just 1 good deep cycle battery

Dual Battery or just 1 good deep cycle battery

Hey guys,

I'm looking to start working on my electrical system, install my winch, my power management system and some other electronic goodies i.e. inverter etc. Plus I frequently travel with a fridge which at some point I am sure I will upgrade to an ARB unit. I am in the process of weighing the pro's and cons of a dual battery system and would like to hear some opinions. Is it really necessary? Can I upgrade one at a time if I decide to go to a dual system. Basically buy 1 Odyssey group 34 now and one later.....can you actually get a group 34 in a 13 JK? Might be simple questions for some, but I would appreciate some feedback.

Cheers

When you are running as much extra electrical stuff as we are, I believe it is best to run a dual battery system. I run dual Platinum Die Hards.

Quote Originally Posted by Trembley View Post
    I'm looking to start working on my electrical system, install my winch, my power management system and some other electronic goodies i.e. inverter etc. Plus I frequently travel with a fridge which at some point I am sure I will upgrade to an ARB unit. I am in the process of weighing the pro's and cons of a dual battery system and would like to hear some opinions. Is it really necessary?
    Necessary? No. You can get by with just 1 good deep cycle battery. Something nice to have? Absolutely. If you can afford it or fit it, I would.

Can I upgrade one at a time if I decide to go to a dual system. Basically buy 1 Odyssey group 34 now and one later.....can you actually get a group 34 in a 13 JK? Might be simple questions for some, but I would appreciate some feedback.
    No, you cannot. You need to run a group 48. You can see a write-up I did for it here:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3...p-JK-Wranglers

Also, pretty much all the dual battery trays I've seen on 2012-up do not allow you to use 2 batteries of the same size.

I agree with McPuck. Dual batteries are the way to go. It's not just about load, it's about redundancy and having the ability to make it out even if you lose a battery.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Necessary? No. You can get by with just 1 good deep cycle battery. Something nice to have? Absolutely. If you can afford it or fit it, I would.

No, you cannot. You need to run a group 48. You can see a write-up I did for it here:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3...p-JK-Wranglers

Also, pretty much all the dual battery trays I've seen on 2012-up do not allow you to use 2 batteries of the same size.
    I'm pretty sure the Genesis kit will run two group 34 batteries in a 2012+. I guess I could be wrong though. I know one thing, the kit isn't inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Genesis kit will run two group 34 batteries in a 2012+. I guess I could be wrong though. I know one thing, the kit isn't inexpensive.
    You are correct. Totally forgot about the Genesis kit and yes, it is pretty pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    You are correct. Totally forgot about the Genesis kit and yes, it is pretty pricey.
    It does look like a great kit. Until another vendor comes out with some competition, Genesis has no incentive if dropping the price. And, I don't consider people building their own as true competition.

I had to go with dual Optima's I know nothing like the Odyssey batteries, but it was the only one's I could find that would fit. I used the M.O.R.E. Dual Battery Tray for 12-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK, and a red top and yellow top Optima's.
    20130717_175717 (960x1280).jpg20130717_211640 (1280x960).jpg

Im looking to get the genesis kit sometime in the near future, I have yet to come across a better designed dual system for the JK. While the price may be steep at first glance, their tray is engineered to a stupid level of obsessiveness and thought, and their smart isolator is very clever. Once you factor in the cost of the tray, the isolator, and the wiring and terminal, the price isn't that crazy after all. It is also bar none the cleanest system out there.

^^ I tend to agree with you. It's a well-thought out and practical system.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast