2 for 4 doors?

TopherJK11

Hey Everyone,

So I am a fairly new Jeep owner (I bought my 2011 Wrangler back in July), and my father has sparked interest in my 2 door Wrangler. I thought since I have been tinkering with the thought in my head of wanting a 4 door this would be a chance for me to finally get my unlimited. I am just trying to get some opinions from 2 door and 4 door owners on the pros and cons and if it might be too soon to make a decision yet. I really do love my 2 door but something about a built up 4 door just looks badass beyond belief. There is a lot of things I'd like to get done with my JK and build on to but I rather not spend my first born to dress up both the 2 and 4 door. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

:thinking:

I chose the 4 dr for two reasons. First being that I have a 4 yo and it is easier for him to get in and out of the Jeep. Second is the longer wheel base allows for more storage when going camping. If you search WAYALIFE YouTube channel and look at the Pilgrimage Moab films you can see the difference in a 2 dr and 4 dr going over some of the obstacles.

R/
Will

JKWrang

I had a 2 door. Upgraded to the 4 door when i upgraded my family to 2 kids. Honestly it a night and day. I wouldn't trade the unlimited for anything. Well. Maybe an unlimited rubi.... hahaha

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
While I do love my 2 door, I wish I had a longer wheel base and the extra room at times. No back seats so I never have more than one person but it would be nice to have the option of more people randomly when friends are over since I like to drive. Being just me and no family I didnt see the need for a 4 door at first. I do love how nimble a 2 door is on certain trails however.

Aeraun

For me, I really didn't like Jeeps until the unlimited JKs came out. The stance of the 4 door just looks mean to me. More military looking. The 2 door has since grown on me and its awesome to see and feel how nimble they are. Now, looking at pros and cons, I'd say start with on road. 4 door has significantly more room - better DD but less mpg and more vehicle to be driving on a day to day. 2 door you lose the room and don't really gain much. For offroad, both models have there advantages and disadvantages. An obstacle a 4 door negotiates no problem a 2 door may need to winch over and vice versa. Honestly just comes down to you personal preference but for me, I like the way the 4 door looks, I like the extra room, and the offroad capabilities are still awesome. If its in the back of your mind that you want a 4 door then go for it especially since you had this opportunity arise. Wish you luck :beer:

The Force will be with you.... always

dentdude36

i like both but honestly think 4 doors are not what a jeep should be! 2 door is the way it all began and feel the 4 door is in same category as a hummer, and tahoe etc

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

eeftw

If I lived in the midwest I would def. have a 4 door. However, where I am and the trails I get on are very tight so a 2-door seems to do better than the 4's. However, the 4 doors can go straight up the mountain where I have to do around.... :naw: Wheelbase woes.

BBG

i like both but honestly think 4 doors are not what a jeep should be! 2 door is the way it all began and feel the 4 door is in same category as a hummer, and tahoe etc

Spoken like a true 2 door owner. ...smh jeep is a jeep you never put a jeep in the same category as a hummer, tahoe... etc jeeps have not been the same since the early jeeps engines have changed wheel base size and shape of the doors, suspension.... They have only improved since then. ....especially if your driving a automatic DENTDUDE36........ if that's the case get rid of your jeep now and go buy a willy manual. ...... lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

dentdude36

lmao sorry but 2 doors look much better imo and thats all it is my opinion

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i love my 2 door. its ever only me and the gf so it works perfectly. i took the back seet out as hinrich did for the extra space. When i get older and i decide i want a family and need the extra room then i will get a 4 door. until then i am very happy with my 2 door on the trails and the street.

now on to the looks. i feel like you can make a 2 door look a little meaner than a 4 door with the same parts. if you install the same 2.5" lift, same 35" tires, trim the fenders the same, etc i think that the 2 door looks meaner due to its size.

:twocents:

all of this being said you never know i may get a 4 door sooner than i think lol

KPM171

I had a 2 door TJ that I loved but when it came time for a new Jeep, I went 4 door and 99.99% of the time, I'm thrilled to tears! That 0.01% of the time is when I'm doing a couple of 3 point turns to get around trees on trail or if I've botched a hill climb and high-sided b/c my wheel base is just a little long. The 2 doors are just easier to drive/more maneuverable on trail imho. If I had it to do over again, I'd get the very same one. I love having the extra space for gear in the back and flipping my seat forward to access the back seats is deff something I don't miss from having a 2 door.

Whether it's a pair of 2-doors or a pair of 4-doors or one of each, I hope you and your dad have fun building & wheeling them together. :thumb:

1BAMFR

I needed the room of the 4door, and liked the look of it over the 2door as well.

On the trails I have seen where a 2door does better and I have also seen where a 4door does better on certain obstacles.

I think it all boils down to personal preference and space needed.

JKWrang

I needed the room of the 4door, and liked the look of it over the 2door as well.

On the trails I have seen where a 2door does better and I have also seen where a 4door does better on certain obstacles.

I think it all boils down to personal preference and space needed.

When 1BAMF pulled his monster truck... er.... unlimited up next to us at RC, I was further sold on the 4 door. If you are on the fence about a 4 door, go look at that thing in person. You'll consider selling your house for slabs, 37s and a 4link.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Just my opinion, I have owned a CJ7 and this 2013 2 door. I love the 2 door for its mobility. However, I am currently awaiting delivery (hopefully this week) of a 2014 JKU. The reasons that I decided to change over to a 4 door are that I want the extra space for the family. In addition, the ride difference is noticeable. I drove my 2 door and a new JKU back to back, the 4 door was much more comfortable, didn't jar me around so much, and I dint really notice the extra doors back there. There are some advantages to a longer wheelbase over a shorter one off road. I grew up around desert racing my whole life, and fancy quick jaunts off road. The 4 door is much more stable for this. Ledges, climbs and descents are more stable with a longer wheelbase too. The most distinct place a 2 door will have an advantage is in break over angle. Other than that, the 4 door is a better fit for me and my active lifestyle. More passenger room, more cargo room, better stability for most situations, and I can still take the doors and top off! My suggestion would be if you have friends or family that you want to include in your off-road adventures, get the 4 door. If you know it will only be you and you do not need the cargo space, get the 2 door. You'll be happy with either. And yes, they are both 'real Jeeps'! :thumb:

beans

I love the 2-door it looks like a jeep--without question or mistakes. I won't lie...I have seen 4 doors and have gotten them confused with Hummers (and vice versa) which always makes me feel guilty -- sorry guys-- :( :(

The 2 door always gives me images of riding off into the sunset, waving my arms in the air and doing silly things :clap2: :clap2: I'll never get a 4 door (although they are solid beautiful vehicles). I guess I'm just old fashioned :)

Shaved Ice

I owned a CJ5 back before I had a family of five. I have a JKU now. The longer wheelbase means a smoother ride and the extra storage space is nice. I have even laid the back seat down and taken a nap in the back. I was able to lie flat on my back and I am 6'1". I was laying diagonally across the back but I was comfortable. I never could have done that in a two door.

Top Bottom