Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CB Radio Mounts & Antennas

CB Radio Mounts & Antennas

I would like to mount a CB radio antenna on my rig and I am trying to figure out the most cost efficient way of doing so. In addition, I am looking for the lengths and types of antennas you guys are using.

I would like a red antenna (was looking at the firestick I believe it is called), think it would match best with my rig. Any suggestions on brands and lengths?

Also, I would love to mount it maybe either behind the spare or somewhere on the back. I have found mounts but I almost feel like they could be made or bought at a hardware store for so much cheaper. Anyone have any luck with this?

It wont be hooked up for awhile anyways, so wire running locations is not a problem right now!

Firestick II is a tunable antenna and that's what I would look at. It should be above the highest point of your jeep so look at a 3' one.

As far as mounts go there are tons made by different companies that mount to your factory tire carrier.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assis

jlwrangler.com

Quote Originally Posted by cozdude View Post
    Firestick II is a tunable antenna and that's what I would look at. It should be above the highest point of your jeep so look at a 3' one.

As far as mounts go there are tons made by different companies that mount to your factory tire carrier.
    Thanks for the input. You ever hear of someone making their own mount?

Quote Originally Posted by tonytony9 View Post
    Thanks for the input. You ever hear of someone making their own mount?
    I have not but if you can make one go for it!
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assis

jlwrangler.com

-
    When you purchase your antenna look for the combo pack with antenna and mirror mount. The mirror mount is made out of aluminum and you can mount it to the factory tire carrier with the hardware provided. To do this you will need to round the lower corner of the mount so it will fit flush. Nice thing about using a mirror mount is the ability to move it to an aftermarket tire carrier later. I have the LoD rear bumper with the GEN III tire carrier and this is what I use for my CB. I will caution you on the length. I would not go any longer than 4 ft and put install a spring. I am running a 3 ft Firestick with a 4 inch spring and it serves me well.

R/
    Will

Also, I would love to mount it maybe either behind the spare or somewhere on the back. I have found mounts but I almost feel like they could be made or bought at a hardware store for so much cheaper. Anyone have any luck with this?
    Depending on how much room you have to work with behind your spare, you could drill into your tire carrier and just use it for a mount. I had done tried this a long time ago on my old 2009 JKU and it worked pretty good. You will need a coax cable with a flat terminating end like this though.

All you have to do is drill your hole here making sure that it'll fit the diameter of the of the stepped nylon bushing.

And then attach your mounting stud to it.

I prefer to use springs with my mounts to help absorb hits but otherwise, you just need to connect your antenna from there and go.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Depending on how much room you have to work with behind your spare, you could drill into your tire carrier and just use it for a mount. I had done tried this a long time ago on my old 2009 JKU and it worked pretty good. You will need a coax cable with a flat terminating end like this though.

All you have to do is drill your hole here making sure that it'll fit the diameter of the of the stepped nylon bushing.

And then attach your mounting stud to it.

I prefer to use springs with my mounts to help absorb hits but otherwise, you just need to connect your antenna from there and go.
    That's perfect! No issues with rust or anything?

Fresh Catch
    I have a similar problem. Ive already passed my antenna wiring and attached it to the spare tire carrier but on rainy days water seems to enter the rubber plug in the tailgate. Should I cut the middle of the rubber so the wire passes in the middle instead? Atm i just stuffed the rubber plug over top of the wire.

That's perfect! No issues with rust or anything?
    The factory tire carrier is made out of magnesium, it won't rust.

Quote Originally Posted by JuggernautJKU View Post
    I have a similar problem. Ive already passed my antenna wiring and attached it to the spare tire carrier but on rainy days water seems to enter the rubber plug in the tailgate. Should I cut the middle of the rubber so the wire passes in the middle instead? Atm i just stuffed the rubber plug over top of the wire.
    I made a slice and then the wire went in the middle. Overkill I'm sure, but i had some plasti-dip left over from my door hinges, so tapped off the rubber grommet and the hit it with a few layers of PD. Basically sealed the whole thing up but is still flexible.
    I think I may consider lifting my Jeep. Or not.
    The Evolution of ENVY

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast