lockers???

bladerunnerJK

if you had to lock the front or rear only what would you do first? Come tax season ive got the money to do gears and one locker. what one would you do first and the pros and cons :beer:

Well there are two schools of thought. One being so not lock a D30 because you are wasting time and money so the rear D44 is best. The other school of thought is that it's better to pulled over an obstacle than pushed. Me personally I would not put a locker in a D30.

K.D.C.H

What kind of off roading are you looking to do? I am in the same situation, I've got a 2015 sport and I know I'll eventually go to a PR60 rear and PR44 front. I think my plan is to just save up enough to gear the stock rear and buy the PR44 with locker then once the rear goes, upgrade that to the PR60.

I wouldn't waste money on the D30. You could throw a locker into it and then trash it all on your first run depending on where you go

Best thing to do is figure out what you really want and save up for it. Don't waste money on a bandaid when you know you need surgery.

bladerunnerJK

so right now as im now living in GA there is really no wheeling down here. so really im just getting gas mileage back with the gears and putting a ox locker in the rear for now and upgrading to a 60s when i can

K.D.C.H

so right now as im now living in GA there is really no wheeling down here. so really im just getting gas mileage back with the gears and putting a ox locker in the rear for now and upgrading to a 60s when i can

If there's really no wheeling why get a locker? Why not just do the gears and save the locker money for something else.

Are you doing 60's front and rear?

bladerunnerJK

if and when the wife oks the 60s i would like to get some. and what i meant about no wheeling. i should have said there is very little wheeling mostly mud but talking to some people there are a couple parks with rocks so it would be nice to have a locker in there for that and when i travel back to colorado.

GR8WHITE

Ya their isn't very many in GA but theres a lot of good stuff "close." All of the good parks are in Alabama or Tennessee like Morris Mt. Choccolocco Mt. Stoney Lonesome OHV park, Gulches in SC and some others.

David1tontj

I say rear first for many reasons.
Mainly, most of the time that you are fighting to make it over an obstacle, you are mostly trying to go uphill.. When you are pointing uphill, your weight is on the rear tires, and very little of your weight is on the front. Therefore, having the rear locked should come as an advantage most of the time..

How many times do you get stuck trying to go downhill when the weight is on the front?

The others have mentioned a few of the other reasons.

CJW

Lock the rear. Weight transfers back when going over an obstacle. Also, if you need to turn hard you'll probably want the front unlocked anyways so you can turn the wheels. Turning while locked up front puts extra stress on the shafts and being a D30 makes it even worse.

Cormac828

How many of you guys have broke your d30s?

I have d30 locked and trussed, gusseted and I tore up my 44 and still have not broken the front lol

catahoula

Caught the Bug
It seems ARB has more complete setup....looking off of Quadretec site. They do have a kit for a 30 and a 44. It would seem if one would to do both it would put less stress on both axles as well.

Slavens

Caught the Bug
No Question it's the rear. More then half the time i dont even lock the front in crawling situations.

Top Bottom